LegacyGT.com

What's ur top speed?!!!

[quote name='nothingel']I'm totally new to the idea of modding a car -- I know of them and know friends that have done things but lack specific knowledge. could you explain what "stage one or two AP" and ECUtek is? I'd be happy with a RTFM response ... but please point me to the manual to read :)[/QUOTE] NP mate, i'm not the most experienced, but i'll offer what i can. Stage one and two are prgram levels within the AP, a computer prgrammer you plug into your car to retune it that is sold by Cobb. You can do a search for AP on the forum and get back some results. Stage one i think is just having the AP redo some computer stuff, fuel/air and what not, stage two is once you have done mods, basically an uppipe and a downpipe and some say you can also do a catback exhaust, however that part is not required to go to stage 2, only the UP and DP. With the AP you pay the price once to get the machine and can redo your car as many times as you want, aside from the 100 ECU reflash limit which you'll learn about if you do a lil searching on the AP. This is kind of your generic power programmer. With the ECUtek you get mods done to your car and then take it somewhere special or mail off your ECU i think and have it reprogrammed to work with the exact mods you have done, so it is very specific, however everytine you add mods and want your ECU redone you have to pay the price. This is all from my understandings which may be slightly off, and anyone else is free to clarify or simply correct me. This is for a basiic understanding of the 2 things, the AP and ECUtek, doing searches on both of those on the forum alone will help you gain a better understanding and going to Cobbs website and reading about the AP will shed more light as well. Good luck...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Indicated 170 in E46 M3, I'm guessing the speedo was off because they are supposed to be governed to 155. I don't know what the M3 tops out in 5th, but I shifted right at redline and then went about 10 seconds in 6th, never again!

Still in break-in mode, but "friend" has had my GT to 105mph. Nice and stable (although prone to crosswinds) so I hear. Done 186mph (radar proven thanks to cop friend) on a CBR1100XX modified. approx 160 in two cars, 911 and Vette (mod vette). The 911 was in Germany Pretty sure I've top ended all my cars, some were nasty above 120, so never did again. Others seemed born to run 3 digits. 3 series BMW took a bit to get there, but once there was a rock.

Well, nothing compared to you speed demons, only 105. Some idiot in a Honda Accord lx thought he could catch up to me after I passed him on a 2 lane road. Did it just to prove a point.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Today on the interstate I bounced my car off the limiter(it was a very suttle or "soft" bounce) at 140. I was playing around with my shifter and when I looked down I noticed I was still in fourth gear near redline. So then I wasn't sure If I bounced off the tach limiter(which is a little more abrupt but not startling) but I didn't have any more highway to see if fifth would be any faster. I don't think it would of been, it looks like the speed imiter is set at 140 according to all you maniacs. I'd consider a download to give me an extra 200 or so rpm and eliminate the speed limiter if possible, but I don't think I woud be cruising around too much over 140. The car felt solid though. I was happy. I suggest making sure your tire pressures are all good first. Did 148 in a BMW 540 six speed with minor mods. Slowed down to 120 and an Isuzu Rodeo (the v6 suv) pulled up next to me with a tweety bird window shade. It was funny and humoring at the same time. Also did 140 plus in an old (88) ZX10 in a Kawasaki Ninja-Now mopeds go that fast. Went 97 1/2 in m 1972 Chevy Vega 4Cyl 2 speed

This is not my beautiful car.

Did 155 with french Peugeot 406 on German Autobahn (the car was going out of control (no mod-stock)), it was down-hill (8%), ....and another 194.4 (GPS)on mod 750 Yamaha FZR also in Germany (friend's bike):) :) ........But as noticed it's not worthy and very dangerous driving with that speed - using a not prerared or not made a cars for that kind SPEED, .........talking about suspension , tires, brakes , etc.....;) ....keep in mind Your self and Your experience

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='blacky']Did 155 with french Peugeot 406 on German Autobahn (the car was going out of control (no mod-stock)), it was down-hill (8%), ....and another 194.4 (GPS)on mod 750 Yamaha FZR also in Germany (friend's bike):) :) ........But as noticed it's not worthy and very dangerous driving with that speed - using a not prerared or not made a cars for that kind SPEED, .........talking about suspension , tires, brakes , etc.....;) ....keep in mind Your self and Your experience[/QUOTE] I once did 145 in my '94 Corrado VR6 + Z-Eng charger (although was hesitating - needed new wires + plugs badly) in Montana on cheap '91 octane with some elevation and the car fully packed with camping gear. Ran out of road/liberty (my gf, now wife was getting a little freaked out) :-) When it was running at peak efficiency, it's been guesstimated to hit 160, I figure 150-155 would have been possible. Now if only it hadn't been so completely unreliable... :-( HV

[quote name='Belgarath']I got caught by a county mounty doing 145 mph in a 45 mph zone... 100 mph over the posted limit. Spent that night in jail and lost my license for 4 years.[/QUOTE] Really?? Wow, that must have been fun and sucked at the same time. You have your license back, though, I presume..
-ben

Yea, I was 19 yrs old at the time... didn't drive again until I was 23. I'm 27 now. The deputy, judge and DA all told me how much of a danger to society I was, but the reality of it was that it was 3:00 AM on a very deserted road. I put the deputy's and my life in danger and maybe a random deer.

My thread lives on. [quote name='Belgarath']I got caught by a county mounty doing 145 mph in a 45 mph zone... 100 mph over the posted limit. Spent that night in jail and lost my license for 4 years.[/QUOTE] Did you piss your pants when he hit his lights ? You should have been speeding on some twisties, cause that Crown Vic wouldn't have hung wit u. So was that, a misdemeanor or felony or just another moving violation ? Did you have to report it whenever you applied for work ? PS2 + GT4 is your friend. How many lanes did the road have? Any kind of lighting ? If, IF, there was no lighting, I think you got what you deserve.
I keed I keeed

A "friend" has only gone 190km/h so far. And this thing was pulling like crazy. They had to let off because they were catching up to a group of car pretty quick. VERY stable car. WRX was a bit "on edge" at 160km/h. And 5th gear in the WRX was nothing. In the Legacy there is much more power avalible in 5th. According to a "friend".

I did 130 in my LGT 5spd at 5500 rpms:D . Compared to my fathers E420 at 130 not stable and very much prone to cross winds. The benz showed what it was made for could have taken it all the way to the limited 155 but ran out of road:mad: . Anyway back to the legacy, considering the cost the legacy is a super deal. Even at 130 the car still wanted more. On a small note I was killing what seemed a stock SRT-4 while doing this. I started about 2 cars behind at 70 mph and at 130 I was at 1 car length in front of him:lol: . This happened twice. Redlined 3rd, 4th, and almost 5th:eek: . Just a side note my car is at 4500 miles with no mods, bone stock.

[quote name='melayout']My thread lives on. Did you piss your pants when he hit his lights ? You should have been speeding on some twisties, cause that Crown Vic wouldn't have hung wit u. So was that, a misdemeanor or felony or just another moving violation ? Did you have to report it whenever you applied for work ? PS2 + GT4 is your friend. How many lanes did the road have? Any kind of lighting ? If, IF, there was no lighting, I think you got what you deserve.[/QUOTE] Actually, I stopped the minute we crested the hill I was coming up on. He was travelling in the opposite direction. My radar detector was silent until we crested the hill (about the same time) and then it when crazy for about a half second... I knew I was done so I stopped at the other side of the hill and waited for him. Sure enough, it only took him the amount of time needed to spin his Explorer around and park it behind me. As for the road: it's a perfectly straight, un-lighted two-lane road that dips between 2 huge hills (probably 200 ft up and down in elevation over a 4 mile stretch of road). The road just begs to be driven hard on because that straight is the first one you get to after about 15 miles of 20 to 45mph corners. Usually I'd slow down right before the second crest because the *village* of Divide, CO is just on the flip side of the hill. I was feeling a little more frisky that night so I decided to wait until I actually reached town (plenty of time to stop before the first and only light). As for the lighting: it didn't really need to be lit. You probably know why if you've spent any time in the mountains away from city light. I could see the entire length of the straight (all 4 miles of it) even though it was dark out. Side note: the car was a slightly modified '89 300ZX Turbo... and the worst part about the whole ordeal was I had to sell that car to pay off the fines/court fees. Damn, I miss that car.

I did 141 at redline in 5th in my 2000 Celica GTS didn't bother going to 6th cause didn't wanna get to crazy, I did 136 in my 84 300zx turbo, 135 in my 88 MR2 Supercharged. The MR2 was still by far the most fun and favorite car I've owned and I've had quite a few. I still want to get another one someday.

wooah, if he was coming theother way why didnt u just keep going and turn off the road and kill the lights??? cmon if u didnt see/ hear him put the lights on, u coudla kept going and gone like 40, and than taken it to court... wtf !! u threw ur self in jail!!

[quote name='dustdr']155 MPH with super octane gas!!:lol: :lol: :lol: QUOTE] Got a proof, could be GPS or ticket. Because it's hard to belive 155 mph onthat car, even with rocket fuel, .........fuel it's not all.......

[quote name='blacky'][quote name='dustdr']155 MPH with super octane gas!!:lol: :lol: :lol: QUOTE] Got a proof, could be GPS or ticket. Because it's hard to belive 155 mph onthat car, even with rocket fuel, .........fuel it's not all.......[/QUOTE] :argue: [b][i]I think I would be very stupid to have proof of speed as a ticket. "Stupid Driver Law"[/i][/b] It's [b][i]not[/i][/b] all fuel and you are the first to call "Bull" on my "just kidding" claim. You are correct, I did not go that fast. In fact, I did not even purchase the 100+ Octane. The gas station was in Parker, AZ at the Colorado River and I assume that they have the super fuel available for "rocketship" speed boats. I just could not resist taking the photo and making use of it on this thread.:D

Archived