LegacyGT.com

Suspension shopping. [long read beware]

BIU

So im looking to upgrade my suspension.... i want to have the car lowered to about 2 finger gaps front and back, i want to reduce squat and bodyroll and increase road feel but yet retain a somewhat nice comfortable ride....

I have about 1150ish to spend..... not a small amount but yet not enough to go for some of the elite coilover systems... and for the record i tend to like to stick to the JDM side of things... no diss to brands like H&R, KW etc...just a personal preference...

I dont track my car... its just for the daily driving + occasional spirited driving.... so dampening adj is not a must for me....height adj is also not a must as i will only set it at the height i want and leave it...

So i hope you guys can point me in the right direction or might possibly lead me to some deals that could be had?

1) I'd be happy with a JDM Bilstein spec b setup with STi pink springs.... but that combo is rather pricey and for the money i could get a full tunable coilover system...

2) TEIN Basic

- seems like the most bang for the buck system out there

- TEIN prone to rusting

- ride could be harsh?

3) HKS LS+

- would love to have this setup but its out of my price range

4) KW Variant 2

- seems like an AWESOME setup

- good ride comfort

- good reputation

- a tad over what i want to spend..

- would prefer a JDM setup over this but this seems like the best setup for that price range right now

5) Cusco Zero one

- a much better quality version of the TEIN Basics?

- price is close to full tunable coilover setups while it has no dampening adj

What do you guys recommend me to do?...

This is the worst feeling.... i have money in hand and is anxious to get the Leggy lowered but at the same time i dont know where to put my money on.. lol

I vote for the Bilsteins. You won't have to get them rebuilt every 40k like coilovers and they handle amazing. Here is me on a set of JDM GT wagon Bilsteins. Pink springs in the rear and Tanabe's in the front. Perfect wheel gap and exceptional handling. Talk to the member unclemat, he gets them in for great deals here and there.

http://www.jacktevnan.com/images/Legacy/lowered/lowered1.jpg

http://www.jacktevnan.com/images/Legacy/lowered/lowered2.jpg

JDM GT Bilsteins (F-Tanabe R-Pinks)

JDM RSB - Modded Kartboy SS - Subaru Momo Knob

Subastyle Grille

The thing is for the price of a set of used JDM bilsteins and a new set of appropriate springs it would still be about $1100ish?

But spending another 300 dollars or so i could get a brand new set of aftermarket coils like KW...

I would love to have a JDM bilstein spec b + STi pinks setup but the price is really outrageous compared to just getting a new set of coils...

I don't know, I think if you watched the for sale section and asked around the forums, you'd find someone willing to part with a full set of Bilsteins with pinks on them (or other appropriate springs) for well under 1000.

I was torn as well and I really did not want to spend the $ on Bilsteins but when it was explained to me about the rebuild costs of coilovers, I changed my mind. A set just kind of found me :icon_bigg , I lucked out. Sometimes you can find a good set of used springs pretty cheap. I think some have also mounted H-techs which are pretty inexpensive. I think some guy was recently selling a set of B's for around 700?

Subastyle Grille

I don't know, I think if you watched the for sale section and asked around the forums, you'd find someone willing to part with a full set of Bilsteins with pinks on them (or other appropriate springs) for well under 1000.

I was torn as well and I really did not want to spend the $ on Bilsteins but when it was explained to me about the rebuild costs of coilovers, I changed my mind. A set just kind of found me :icon_bigg , I lucked out. Sometimes you can find a good set of used springs pretty cheap. I think some have also mounted H-techs which are pretty inexpensive. I think some guy was recently selling a set of B's for around 700?

But dont some aftermarket companies provide lifetime warranty on the coils and will rebuild them for you?

So what you are telling me is the Bilsteins dont ever need to be rebuilt?

You forgot one very good bang for the buck option: Megan Racing. I have them priced at $950 shipped right now. I have owned and ridden on many different setups and the MR coilovers are fantastic especially for the price. The MR's are quite comfortable on the street and performed flawlessly for at the track as well. Feel free to search the forum and you will find similar comments from many of my happy customers.

But dont some aftermarket companies provide lifetime warranty on the coils and will rebuild them for you?

So what you are telling me is the Bilsteins dont ever need to be rebuilt?

I am not sure if their are companies out there that will offer lifetime rebuilds. If so, that is for sure a great selling point. But from what I have heard, you need to rebuild coilovers every 40k or so. I can put on 20k a year when I travel alot and did not want to need to keep popping them out every 2 years. I guess it's not the end of the world but I wanted to set it and forget it.

I was told that the Bilsteins (under normal driving conditions...not racing) should last 80-90k easy and then some, and even then it would be hard to tell they were not performing 100%. Bilstein rebuilds the shocks as well for a great price.

http://www.bilstein.com/services.php?PHPSESSID=275d353b6a52807ade9b7b60afae3387[url=http://www.bilstein.com/services.php?PHPSESSID=275d353b6a52807ade9b7b60afae3387][/url]

Subastyle Grille

As to the rebuild costs of coilovers, that angle is WAAAAAAY overplayed my people advocating shocks and springs instead of coilovers. The MR coilovers typically need a rebuild every 45K miles. That is about the same as most fixed perch struts. With a used OEM Bilstein, you throw it in the trash and buy a new one. That'll run you at least $600-800 when you can find them. With the MR coilovers, you get a brand new dampener insert for $75/each. So for $300 you basically back to new condition. I also offer KW Variant 2 coilovers and they are covered by a lifetime warranty. Just pay shipping to and from KW USA in CA and they will be rebuild be free.

. With a used OEM Bilstein, you throw it in the trash and buy a new one. That'll run you at least $600-800 when you can find them.

http://www.bilstein.com/services.php?PHPSESSID=275d353b6a52807ade9b7b60afae3387

^^^

Bilstein rebuilds them for about $75 a piece too. No need to throw them in the garbage.

Subastyle Grille

That's great. With the MR's you get BRAND NEW dampeners sent to you for $75/each. You replace the old ones and send them back in for core credit. That way you have no downtime. When you have to send in your Bilsteins for a rebuild, your car will not be operable while you wait for them to be shipped to Bilstein, while Bilstein works on them and ships them back. Depending on where you are, that could be around 2 weeks. Can you leave your car on jackstands for 2 weeks? ;)

That's great. With the MR's you get BRAND NEW dampeners sent to you for $75/each. You replace the old ones and send them back in for core credit. That way you have no downtime. When you have to send in your Bilsteins for a rebuild, your car will not be operable while you wait for them to be shipped to Bilstein, while Bilstein works on them and ships them back. Depending on where you are, that could be around 2 weeks. Can you leave your car on jackstands for 2 weeks? ;)

That's why ppl should keep the stockers :lol:

i think price wise....quality wise....

im down to three choices...

1) TEIN Basic

- obviously product vs $$

2) KW V2

- awesome reputation/quality

- good features

- lifetime warranty

3) JDM Spec B Rev a with Spec B STi pinks

- would be what im looking for.....comes on the legacy tuned by STi, cant go wrong...

- but price is about 300ish dollars apart from getting a new kw setup...

arg....this is hard...

That's why ppl should keep the stockers :lol:

Absolutely!!

I have them packed away in the basement for the future should I need the Bilsteins rebuilt :icon_bigg

Subastyle Grille

i think price wise....quality wise....

im down to three choices...

1) TEIN Basic

- obviously product vs $$

2) KW V2

- awesome reputation/quality

- good features

- lifetime warranty

3) JDM Spec B Rev a with Spec B STi pinks

- would be what im looking for.....comes on the legacy tuned by STi, cant go wrong...

- but price is about 300ish dollars apart from getting a new kw setup...

arg....this is hard...

I asked whitetiger what he thought about the basics yesterday when he was installing my setup and he was a big fan of them as far as bang for the buck. He said they were a nicely matched set for the money. You can't adjust the dampening but as long as you are not racing with them all the time, they are all you'd need.

The KW's have great feedback all over the forum. A little costly but they do look like one of the best choices out there for all around comfort and adjustability. I thought about those myself. I think they use the stock tophats instead of the pillowball mounts so the ride is a little better than the MR's (correct?)

And of course, the Bilsteins are the coolest of all :lol: j/k

You really can't go wrong either way.

Subastyle Grille

The real market for coilovers is for people who want to be able to customize/adjust their suspensions themselves. You're paying extra for the adjustability in spring rates, dampening, ride heigh, preload, and suspension geometry.

If you are having trouble pulling the trigger due to rebuild times for coilovers vs. struts, you don't need coilovers.

The real market for coilovers is for people who want to be able to customize/adjust their suspensions themselves. You're paying extra for the adjustability in spring rates, dampening, ride heigh, preload, and suspension geometry.

If you are having trouble pulling the trigger due to rebuild times for coilovers vs. struts, you don't need coilovers.

You don't NEED that HD TV either. We don't NEED the stock 250chp, let alone more. But we're performance enthusiats. Isn't there something to be said for better performance, even if we're just tearing around the streets?

Guest subiecity

the way i went...i got sum HnR springs dropped the car a good inch, and reallyyy tightened things up no bounce and reduced body roll greatly......then upgrade rims and tires i went with lighter rims and tires and also thicker 18x7.5, then installed front strut bar and rear strut bar and as of right now i have to say i have absolutely no body roll whatsoever and the car handles great, im the same way i dont go to the track but i like having with no bounce or body roll springs were a couple hundred, and so were the strut bars rims and tires mine were alot cuz as u can c im my avatar they r nicer but u can find cheap ones ..and maybe eventually down the road ill go with a rear sway as of now i feel i DO NOT need one but i guess it couldnt hurt

oh and ps i heard thru the grapvine tein sucks hardcore and to stay away from them

oh and ps i heard thru the grapvine tein sucks hardcore and to stay away from them

oh, is that why i took first place in my class for the season on my tein flex coilovers and street tires while the other cars had race tires, and im a novice driver.

tien flex is a pretty nice set of coilovers not the best ever but great for the money. your grape vine is mistaken.

Guest subiecity
from what i heard the brand new coilovers are better then what they used to be the older verions like last year or 2 years ago models wernt great compared to what else is out on the market today the newer model of coilovers that just came out i understood is the better of the teins...but again hes not gonna be out on the track so i would think it wouldnt be nessesary to spend over a grand on coilovers especially when he has a tight budget

Archived