LegacyGT.com

Subaru Canada Winter Gunmetal Rims

Atroz

UPDATE: I saw the rims tonight. They're nice. Look a lot like (the same?) the 06 5 spoke rims but in the gun metal (light bronze) colour. I think I may prefer them over the 6 spoke 07 rims. Might be a hard choice on which ones to mount the Winter tires on.

HI,

Subaru Canada's website is showing 17" Alloy Wheel, 17X7, Gunmetal finish, for winter use" as an accessory option on the LGT

Does anybody here know what these look like? Are they off another Subaru Model?

Subaru dealer was telling me that they offer these now as the old aftermarket ones they had were causing wheel baring damage. Is this possible?

Thanks.

They had better be rather nice 17's for that price - and then why would you want to use them as winters??

Any idea of what the regular rims cost?

Ya. I still haven't seen them, but have asked the dealer to find me a set to look at, or at least a picture.

The deal with the winter tires isn't bad though. Those tires seem to sell for about $260 each, so that's about $1050 for the tires. That leaves about $1200 for the rims, or $350 each. I'm still looking for confirmation, but if they do come with TPMS, that doesn't seem too bad.

Canadian Tire sells some nice ASA mesh wheels (think BBS- look) for about 150.00 per rim. 17" and 18" available, most likely in 7" width.

Their latest flyer out today shows them featured underneath the full page spread on winter tires.

I'd rock those rims in a second...

0346336X_160_CC_482e9.jpg.931eb0d87506b2f01a87cae4d1e0d258.jpg

i got my o.z superleggeras in 18x8 w/rubber for 2200cad inc shipping so to spend that on subarus "winter" rims is dumb.

ya, after looking in to it more I've decided to mount winters on the OEM wheels and get something new for summer.

I ended up buying 02 WRX wheels and mounting my snows on them. I have the 2.5i so clearing the breaks was not an issue. Are there any 16 inch wheels that fit over the GT brakes? The reason I ask is, that with 16 inch wheels and 205/55 tires you still end up with a taller wheel than the stock 17 ich 205/50 by about 2 inches...mabe 1.5 inches. If you have to use 17 inch wheels on the GT due to the brakes needing clearance, you will have to use a very low profile snow tire to have reasonable clearance in the wheel wells. I personally like a little extra height in the tire with snows so I can drive through potholes and other winter time stuff. For the outbacks this is a none issue but for the 2.5i and the LGT, it's something to keep in mind when ordering online or dealing with a tire shop that seems a little slow on the uptake.

Those of you with winter tires mounted on 17 inch wheels, what is the tire size you ended up running?

I'll take a pic of mine today so you can see how big the 16/205/55 is compared to the 17/205/50.

I don't think the ASA wheels work well due to not having enough offset. From what I hear, they end up sticking out past the wheel wells.

I was quoted $255ea for Pilot Alpins. Haven't really looked at the costs of other tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Winterforce&tireModel=M%2BS

These are great tires with or without the studs and they are pretty cheap. I would not be afraid to buy these over nokian or anything else to save some $$'s. They are seriously almost as good for half the price and they wear better so you probably get an extra season out of them. I can't say they are better than the high end traction tires but they are a really good tire that won't completely drain the wallet. I went with them not so much for the savings but because they wear longer than the nokians or the blizzaks. I will drive about 15K this winter and 15K next winter which would pretty much be the end of a set of nokians or blizzaks due to the soft rubber compound. I expect winter tires to last at last 3-4 seasons so I give up a small amount of traction for longer tread wear. It's a very small amount of traction sacrificed as these tires are really nice on the snow and ice. They have a very aggressive tread pattern and stay soft when the temps really drop.

I also here that the Hankook w409 I-Pike is a great snow tire for money. It has the same tread pattern as the Gislaved NF3 and the Nokian RSI so you know it grips really well. I hear the drive pavement manors leave some room for improvement but the traction is killer in the snow.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tireProduct.go?tc=HANST1&adp=40.00

I ended up buying 02 WRX wheels and mounting my snows on them. I have the 2.5i so clearing the breaks was not an issue. Are there any 16 inch wheels that fit over the GT brakes?

I wish. I have a 02 WRX right now and a set of winters that I could still use. Unfortunately, I can't use them on a GT. From what I've read here, there's no 17" Steel rims that will work on the GT. Gotta go with alloys.

subiesales05gt: If you think long term, it gets pretty easy to justify having winter tires, given that while you're driving on them, you're saving your other (stock/summer) tires. Although it doesn't really snow in AB anyway...

Atroz: I had the same issue, had an '02 WRX with new to me snows, and had to sell them and buy 17". Went with the usual plan of putting snows on stock rims, and bought some Rotas for summer.

Check these tires out, I love mine, esp. for the price...

http://www.tiretrends.com/Winter-Tires-Packages.php?tireID=396

Get the 205/50/17, they're practically the same diameter and width as stock.

The link to the Winterforces is of no use for LGTs, they don't have the right size at all.

Andy

Archived