LegacyGT.com

Oil Jury Still Out?

I've been doing some reading and still can't get a clear idea of who's winning the regular oil - synthetic oil debates. Just bought my 05 LGT Wagon w/ 20k. Its been serviced with regular oil thus far (before I purchased it). Should I stick with the regular or switch to synthetic or is switching not a good idea 20k miles in?

I switched in my previous car at about 33K and everything was solid at 75K when I sold it to a good friend...still running strong now with nearly 90K. Wouldn't think you'd have any problem switching with 20K so long as regular service has been performed.

Using M1 5w30 here, with no oil consumption, and no issues otherwise. I have used M1 5w30 for many years now on many different cars with zero issues. In fact, on one (1993 Mazda MX6) it reduced oil loss (not consumption, as it was a leaky valve cover gasket - common problem on those V6s).

54k trouble free miles here, switch out of M1 at about 20k due to consumption, now using a blend of 3 qts Chevron 5/30 dino, 1.5 qts. Chevron 5/30 synth. No issues. I'm not convinced I even need to use a blend, the SM rated dinos are actually pretty good.

The jury is not still out. Synthetic is clearly superior to dino. Is it necessary, no, but I'll pay the premium for the piece of mind, especially with the heat a turbo car generates.

It's not for every car. Ever own a rotary???? (opening up a huge can a worms :lol: )

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

I changed my oil myself for the first time today. Helps to have right tools. Anywho, I was pleased that I could just go back to Advanced Autoparts and recycle the oil for free...what becomes of recycled oil anyway?

Good question.

My other car is a 1993 Chevy S-10 Tahoe! (Currently being driven to failure by my nephew)

Archived