LegacyGT.com

Pirelli PZero Nero M&S (All-Season)

axis008

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If it's basically a daily driver, I don't think you'll lose more than some could consider being legal on the road. If the M&S fits your bill, get them by all means! In any case, compare then to the stockers alone. I've read reports from and talked to other M&S owners and they have used them most of the year for normal driving and have liked them very much. It's all in personal preference and opinion.

I've never really paid much attention to tires other than to get the least expensive, decent quality tires i could find...usually Firestone or BFG. In the past 10 years, I have usually just picked up some tires at my local Firestone shop since that is where my dad shopped. I just got some of the less expensive "whatever is available in my size" kinds of tires. I've never really "shopped" for tires before this. But then again, I haven't been as performance minded as now. It's enlightening to say the least. I appreciate any and all info you guys can offer. Regarding weather. It's south Texas. We have hot weather, hotter weather, and summer time. :D Seriously, tho, summers are 90-100+ highs (it was 104 on Memorial Day... the heat index was 108) and lows 75-85. In the winter, temps rarely drop below freezing. VERY rarely it will get into the twenties or teens overnight for about 30 minutes or so. Usually lows are in the high 30s or mid-40s. When it rains, it is usually in flash flood mode but in the winter we often have light showers a week straight. Given all the info above, do you guys recommend the non-M&S over the M&S?

In Texas, I would be using a summer tire all year long, if performance is your top priority. Even in the winter, your daytime highs are in the 50s or 60s, I assume. If you have other priorities, use an all season or touring tire. The all season Nero would work all year in Texas, but it will probably not out brake or out corner or out steer the summer Nero, wet or dry.

[quote name='brady_bunch']I've never really paid much attention to tires other than to get the least expensive, decent quality tires i could find...usually Firestone or BFG. In the past 10 years, I have usually just picked up some tires at my local Firestone shop since that is where my dad shopped. I just got some of the less expensive "whatever is available in my size" kinds of tires. I've never really "shopped" for tires before this. But then again, I haven't been as performance minded as now. It's enlightening to say the least. I appreciate any and all info you guys can offer. Regarding weather. It's south Texas. We have hot weather, hotter weather, and summer time. :D Seriously, tho, summers are 90-100+ highs (it was 104 on Memorial Day... the heat index was 108) and lows 75-85. In the winter, temps rarely drop below freezing. VERY rarely it will get into the twenties or teens overnight for about 30 minutes or so. Usually lows are in the high 30s or mid-40s. When it rains, it is usually in flash flood mode but in the winter we often have light showers a week straight. Given all the info above, do you guys recommend the non-M&S over the M&S?[/quote] I told ya already brady. If it doesn't snow (which it doesn't evAr do in Houston, and I doubt it has snowed lately in SA) go with the non-M&S Neros. The compound will provide a bit of extra traction, which is worth it IMO. Don't complain about the heat, at least you don't have the crappy Houston humidity. Wet heat is much worse than dry heat! :P

Oh, wow... you guys have 85% humidity and we have [b][i]only [/i][/b]80%. :) At least you get rain out of all that humidity. We get sunshine and soup for air. hehehe About the tires... performance wise I see your point. I'm a bit concerned about the tread wear of the non-M&S being half of the M&S though. I don't think I will be giving up much in the M&S to get better treadlife. Plus I might make some trips into the mountains (New Mexico & Colorado) and could use a little more all weather traction. :)

ive got pzero's on my wrx for about 10000miles or so, and im loving them still. ive had them in tahoe during snow storms and they gripped very well. i had to give some effort to break it loose. ive also done a rallyx with them and theyve done great. they wont be as good as driving tires when dry but they are very good all around tires. :D

[quote name='SUBE555'] Anyone ever tried the Toyo Proxies 4, which is supposed to be an A/S but seems more performance oriented than the Nero M&S's? [img]http://www.1010tires.com/images/tires/toyo_proxes4_lg.jpg[/img][/quote] I have not tried them, but based on the customer ratings at 1010tires, they are rated higher than the Pirelli Nero M&S. Toyo is offering a trial use period on these tires, so that you can return them if you don't like them. The Pirelli does have a higher treadwear rating than the Toyo, 400 vs 300. Perhaps the Toyo is giving up some tread wear for more dry grip? They are priced similarly IIRC. I don't think you can go wrong with either of these tires. Too bad Tirerack does not carry Toyo, so that we could see a tire to tire comparsion in one of their tests.

I talked to my brother tonight. He's an auto mechanic, and the shop he works at is a Toyo dealer. He said he'd be able to get me a good deal on some Toyo tires without having to pay for shipping. I'll see how bad the RE-92s are to begin with, but the Toyo Proxes 4's look pretty good to me.

FYI: In the 2003 JD Power Tire Satisfaction Index, Michelin ranks #1 and Toyo ranks #2 for replacement tires. Pirelli was not ranked because of a too small sample size. Among tire dealers, Les Schwab ranked #1 in customer satisfaction.

[quote name='brady_bunch']Oh, wow... you guys have 85% humidity and we have [b][i]only [/i][/b]80%. :) At least you get rain out of all that humidity. We get sunshine and soup for air. hehehe About the tires... performance wise I see your point. I'm a bit concerned about the tread wear of the non-M&S being half of the M&S though. I don't think I will be giving up much in the M&S to get better treadlife. Plus I might make some trips into the mountains (New Mexico & Colorado) and could use a little more all weather traction. :)[/quote] Not exactly. The rain only makes it more steamy than it already is. It helps nothing as far as dropping the temps, especially when there is rain and sunshine is still present! :?

• 2 weeks later...
[url]http://www.speedoptions.com/articles/4485/?SpeedOptions=e43c66f3c92fd37c8f8b998dbff61983[/url] RE92 good tires??? From what everyone here says, yeah right! Sorry just had to share that and I didn't want to make a new post.
-ben

Archived