LegacyGT.com

Yet another retro

mr_luv

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, same as RX330 non asf

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c228/power_getter/Image080-2.jpg

which one is enclosed? and wtf happened to the cutoff shield on the right? looks like someone took it off, left it in their backyard for 2 years, and took a piss on it.:lol:

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

That there VXCL is the stock lexus sheild we were disscussing a few days ago loos like crap but something must be good about it.

which one is enclosed? and wtf happened to the cutoff shield on the right? looks like someone took it off, left it in their backyard for 2 years, and took a piss on it.:lol:
Mr.350

It doesn't really matter, he is only going to be using the lenses from those ZKW's anyway. They are water clear and optically very similar to the TL lens. It is an extremely EXPENSIVE (although bullitproof) way to get a RAZOR sharp cutoff, with plenty of "blue line" to go around.

Personally I LOVE the output of the ZK/TL mix, but dang... $325+ a set for the TLs, and probably close to that much for a set of ZKWs that will be lens donors only with really not much left to sell off as "scrap" (except for the TL lenses, those might be worth a few bucks... but not enough to offset the purchase the ZK's)

Anyhow, IF he is able to get those TL's shoe-horned in there AND focused, it will be a major accomplishment. I tried regular TLs and I am embarrased at the way they turned out.... and I am proficient in retrofitting. The TLs really are pushing the packaging envelope of the LGT housing. Getting them "focused" is also a royal P.I.T.A. - they "look" OK, but they are foreground rich in light, and have insufficient "throw" b/c of the way they had to be fitted.... and yes, I tried many. many things to get it right. Short of re-doing the retro, it is not happening on this set of lights.

So, this spring I am going to re-do my retro.... this time with modified FX35's. They are tres' smaller, and have just as wide of an output as the TL in my opinion... AND if you are extra clever, you can get a similar razor-sharp c/o on them WITH a thick blue line. But only if you plan to fart around with the optics on the FX's. Remember - shield moved toward lightsource on many projectors yields the envied "blue line"... get clever, and remember to make sure you are not impeding the movement of the semiphore in the pro.

Cheers,

Drew

Drew,

I have FX projectors too.

I test them with clear lenses from zx, the result was great, but the tl still better IMO.

Before I start with the tl retrofit maybe I'll try to make a custom bracket and trim the shroud.

This pic for FX with ZX clear lenses :

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c228/power_getter/IMG_0140.jpg

Drew,

I have FX projectors too.

I test them with clear lenses from zx, the result was great, but the tl still better IMO.

Before I start with the tl retrofit maybe I'll try to make a custom bracket and trim the shroud.

Just outta curiousity, why did you want to switch the FX lenses out? The original FX lenses are just about as clear as can be... and were optically cut to match the projector bowl.

Still - your pics are awesome. Nice blue line, and good light dispersion. Those will be NICE in the LGT. I can't wait until SPRING here in Meeeeechigan! I want to do the FX swap badly. I just despise working on plastic parts in the cold. Had too much stuff break on me.... I will have to be patient!

Nice projectors you have there. Can't wait to see your retro!

Just outta curiousity, why did you want to switch the FX lenses out? The original FX lenses are just about as clear as can be... and were optically cut to match the projector bowl.

Still - your pics are awesome. Nice blue line, and good light dispersion. Those will be NICE in the LGT. I can't wait until SPRING here in Meeeeechigan! I want to do the FX swap badly. I just despise working on plastic parts in the cold. Had too much stuff break on me.... I will have to be patient!

Nice projectors you have there. Can't wait to see your retro!

The FX that I have come with clear, but not crystal clear so the cutoff looks yellow with the stock lenses.

But I notice the forground lighting is not good in the FX projectors

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/8901/img0140ui3.jpg

The FX that I have come with clear, but not crystal clear so the cutoff looks yellow with the stock lenses.

I got rid of the yellow by playing with the semophore inside. If you are clever you can manipulate just the rear portion of it toward the light (be careful! Since the semiphore is a "drop down" it is easy to over adjust and cause excessive friction/sticking) which causes more blue.

I actually don't mind less forground light, I would rather have a long, wide throw since I am looking in that direction, and not 3' in front of my car. At the moment I have MASSIVE foreground light with my failed (IMHO) TL switch out. Anyway, to each their own, right? I do give props on the pattern from your TL/ZK's though! Tres' nice! If I could get those fitted and focused I'd be right there with ya - but like I said, even if you are a "bracket master" it can be a bit daunting making one to fit the TLs and making it fit the interior package you have to work with in the LGT housings.

-D

I got to thinking about this last night and I am curious... power_getter, how in the hell did you get the ZKW lenses to work with the FX's?? If I am not mistaken, the FX's are 2.5" diameter and the honkin'-ass TLs are 3.0" diameter...

or amImissin'somethin'????:confused:

I got to thinking about this last night and I am curious... power_getter, how in the hell did you get the ZKW lenses to work with the FX's?? If I am not mistaken, the FX's are 2.5" diameter and the honkin'-ass TLs are 3.0" diameter...

or amImissin'somethin'????:confused:

LoL :lol:

I meant ZX300 lens on FX projector

ZKW for the TL.

• 3 weeks later...

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/8901/img0140ui3.jpg

im going to have to recheck the cutoff on the fx units i have. i dont remember it looking like that. it looked very close to older audi a6 units actually. hmm......

in other news here's the tsx units retro'd into something finally.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51699

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Archived