LegacyGT.com

The LGT almost got squished this morning!

This morning, I was heading up to Cleveland for an interview. I was on I-71 heading northbound. I was in the left lane behind a Nissan Pathfinder. In front of the Pathfinder there was a car (not sure the type) and in front of the car, a white work van. So it was Van, car, Pathfinder, and me (LGT).

Behind me was a minivan. The traffic was pretty heavy... but we were running around 50 mph.

So..... just to summarize....

car --> minivan --> me (LGT) --> Pathfinder --> car --> White work van (front of line)

So, anyway.... I am driving along and I see a BIG puff of tire smoke from the van... and then it swerves hard to the left. The car behind the van slams on the brakes... but not in time... and it hits the van in the rear. The lady in the Pathfinder in front of me slams on the brakes... but still hits the car.

Yes... we are up to a 3 car accident at this point.

Luckily... I had seen the tiresmoke and got on the binders right away... not a panic braking maneuver... but I had room. Unfortunately, when I glanced in the rear view mirror, I see that the minivan driver, behind me, is looking down at something.... and isn't watching.

So I decide (luckily) to head for the shoulder / median. I move to the left and stop next to the Pathfinder... just before reaching the white work van, which has slid sideways across the shoulder.

As I am coming to a stop, the Minivan slams into the back of the pathfinder... RIGHT next to my car! :eek: Then the car behind it... hits the minivan. Yeah... we are now up to 5 cars. :rolleyes: So there I am... on the shoulder... boxed in by a bunch of wrecked cars. I had to wait for them to pull the cars off the road so I could get back underway. :lol: It looked like a demo derby!

I got REALLY lucky that no one or any flying parts hit my car! The Subie did great.

wow man, that's awesome. Some slick driving on your part
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Glad you are okay!

I understand you maintained proper distance in front of you, but the idiots driving other cars apparently didn't.

I fight tailgaters by slowing down and leaving gobs of space in front of me (or by running away, but that's not always possible). I won't let some prick readend me.

Good that you didn't panic, but tried to avoid hitting the car in front of you.That's where good handling cars shine, and SUVs and even Outbacks not.

I'll take luck if it helps me! :lol:

Nah... this was an interview for a new position/promotion.

mullet inspector? :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

And die, and unfortunatelly kill others.

And unfortunatelly it doesn't stop them. I went to school with someone like that and he caused a accident that caused a woman to break both of her legs and he was tailgating the day after the accident and the day his mommy and daddy bailed him out with a very large check.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

And unfortunatelly it doesn't stop them. I went to school with someone like that and he caused a accident that caused a woman to break both of her legs and he was tailgating the day after the accident and the day his mommy and daddy bailed him out with a very large check.

Yes. And what pisses me most is so called law enforcement concertates on enforcing absurdly underposted speed limits instead really going after these clueless road bandits.

No, suprise, I can't count the number of times I saw cops (mostly NJ troppers) tailgating others. Wrrrrrrrr.

Yes. And what pisses me most is so called law enforcement concertates on enforcing absurdly underposted speed limits instead really going after these clueless road bandits.

No, suprise, I can't count the number of times I saw cops (mostly NJ troppers) tailgating others. Wrrrrrrrr.

I grew up in the seattle area and at least up there they have had undercover cars for many years now, long before it was a common place, and that was their target, "aggressive" drivers. tail gating, not using blinkers, hopping lanes, etc. everything that drives me absolutly batty when driving in traffic. It is not like cutting off that person to get 1 car ahead at the next light is going to get you there any faster. Wow, you might get to your destination at most 1 to 5 minutes faster.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

This morning, I was heading up to Cleveland for an interview. I was on I-71 heading northbound. I was in the left lane behind a Nissan Pathfinder. In front of the Pathfinder there was a car (not sure the type) and in front of the car, a white work van. So it was Van, car, Pathfinder, and me (LGT).

Behind me was a minivan. The traffic was pretty heavy... but we were running around 50 mph.

So..... just to summarize....

car --> minivan --> me (LGT) --> Pathfinder --> car --> White work van (front of line)

So, anyway.... I am driving along and I see a BIG puff of tire smoke from the van... and then it swerves hard to the left. The car behind the van slams on the brakes... but not in time... and it hits the van in the rear. The lady in the Pathfinder in front of me slams on the brakes... but still hits the car.

Yes... we are up to a 3 car accident at this point.

Luckily... I had seen the tiresmoke and got on the binders right away... not a panic braking maneuver... but I had room. Unfortunately, when I glanced in the rear view mirror, I see that the minivan driver, behind me, is looking down at something.... and isn't watching.

So I decide (luckily) to head for the shoulder / median. I move to the left and stop next to the Pathfinder... just before reaching the white work van, which has slid sideways across the shoulder.

As I am coming to a stop, the Minivan slams into the back of the pathfinder... RIGHT next to my car! :eek: Then the car behind it... hits the minivan. Yeah... we are now up to 5 cars. :rolleyes: So there I am... on the shoulder... boxed in by a bunch of wrecked cars. I had to wait for them to pull the cars off the road so I could get back underway. :lol: It looked like a demo derby!

I got REALLY lucky that no one or any flying parts hit my car! The Subie did great.

HOLY SHIT!!!!! You are a good driver!! i bet it all happened in an instant and you took the only available option. well done.. i bet the cops looking at the pileup and and at you and were like... wtf??!!

That's some sweet driving. Strong work. I call those moments "My Insurance Company Owes Me Money".

And unclemat - take it easy on the OB hating. My wife made a similar move to avoid an accident in her OBXT. Lower speeds, but on wet road. No skid, no lurch, smooth as parallel parking. The car behind didn't hit, but missed the car in front of us by half a foot. Keep in mind some of us have to deal with roads like this one:

9.jpg.5ff4b2221348f8ac14b44cdae949cd6a.jpg

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Archived