LegacyGT.com

suspension help.

RaGe

Recently installed the tein H techs. Took the car in for an all wheel alignment. well needless to say things were really screwed up. Being that the rear is a non adjustable as far as the camber would go, what do i need to get to make it adjustable. I have yet to search around for something that i would need. probably because i do not know the name of the part in which i would be searching for. Before when taking turns the car just felt like pure crap and at some points it was a little scary. Somone told me to take it out and take a curve with it. For security reasons i will not mention his name ( steve ) LOL. But here are the results of the all wheel alignment. As you can see i need to get something for the rear so the rear wheels arent cambered so much. any help would be greatly appreciated.

attachment. Sorry it is small.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i171/Crucifix79/scan0001-1.jpg

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

you got me. but i know when jacked up you can see the diff. tires are tilted in quite a bit in the back. Right more so than left. just didnt know if theres an adjustable control arm or something along that line that would allow me to adjust the camber on the stock setup, without converting to a coilover.

OTM.

Coil-overs won't help your rear camber...regarding the difference between the two sides are you sure nothing is bent...both rear cambers should be very similar but in the high negative range...

Hit any potholes, curbs etc?

My car for example has -1.1 camber on both sides in the back on Spec-B Bilsteins & JDM Pinks...

no not any potholes or anything like that. i am too nice to my car. as long as it wont affect the drivability or the car i am not that pressed. but if it does then i need to figure out something to do.

OTM.

question though. with the tires being cambered the way that they are wouldnt that wear the tires faster on the inside? and i am taking it that there is no adjustable lower control arm or something along that line that would enable you to adjust the camber on stock setup is there? i have been searching around and havent really found anything. i know most of you are saying that you are running a slight camber but you would just think if it is cambered and with the numbers that i am producing that it would cause uneven tire wear.

OTM.

I don't think that being out 1-2 degrees will eat up your tires that bad. Just watch for wear and rotate accordingly.

My old TSX was out almost 2 degrees in the rear and it was fine. In fact, if I remember correctly, factory spec allowed for up to 2 degrees (I could be wrong but that's what I remember).

Seriously, look at an Acura TSX next time you are on the road. Stock, the rear tires will look like this --> / \ When I lowered it, I had to get a camber kit because I was way out of spec.

The people that need to worry are the ones that dump a civic on the bumpstops with no camber kit. I see alot of this in NJ and in a parking lot you can see the tires look like triangles from all the uneven wear.

JDM GT Bilsteins (F-Tanabe R-Pinks)

JDM RSB - Modded Kartboy SS - Subaru Momo Knob

Subastyle Grille

well like i said before i got this alignment. I noticed alot of softness in curves. almost like having low tire pressure. after getting the alignment it went away in the front. i expreience it somewhat in the rear now when i push it in the curves. and like you said i have the/ \ look. although the numbers say it isnt bad it is one of those things that will drive me nuts. does COBB or any of those listed vendors have that type of product that i would need. because if they do there not listing it.

OTM.

Shawn, so far no kits are made for the rear. I like my -1 degree of camber in the rear tho. As far as I know you are fine, just rotate accordingly. When spring comes again, i'm goin to try and dial in -1.5 to -2.0 degrees of camber in the front.

1* of negative camber is absolutely fine. Heck I'd run a little more if I could. Also a roughly 0.3* difference is inconsequential. With zero toe all the way around you will not have any tire wear issues.

I would actually dial in more negative camber up front. As much as you can get out of the stock camber bolts. You should be able to get around 1 -1.5* which will help the fronts bite better. Again, as long as you run zero toe you won't have any tire wear issues.

heh, that's nothing man, you're totally fine.

I run -1.4 to -1.5 in the rear. The part you are looking for are adjustable lateral links.. HKS makes them as well as others.. MSI I believe was trying to make a set, but they cost more than HKS Kansai's version. Basically, they are like tie-rods for the rear (similar to what the Impreza has for their rear lateral links).

btw, -1 to -2 degrees of camber on our cars doesnt hurt the tires, as you can run a slightly bit lower pressures to widen the contact patch for daily driving.. under spirited driving conditions, just run the normal tire pressures and your tires will wear evenly across the tire. It's the toe that scrubs the hell out of the tires and wear them down quickly. Just to give you an idea, I personally want more camber out of my car as my outside shoulders both front and rear still wear out more than my inside shoulder and at this point, I am running already more than -3.5 up front and the rear is set (by ride height adjustment) that it's at -1.5. If anything, I want a wider tire, if I dial in any more camber, I am going to sacrifice straight line braking performance and start eating up the inside shoulders.

Btw, taking camber out of the rear will make the car less stable through the turns as the rear end wants to step out more.. unless you have some insane shocks and springs that allows you to run 315mm wide tires and have 0 degrees of camber, you're gonna have a loose end.

Keefe

well like i said before i got this alignment. I noticed alot of softness in curves. almost like having low tire pressure. after getting the alignment it went away in the front. i expreience it somewhat in the rear now when i push it in the curves. and like you said i have the/ \ look. although the numbers say it isnt bad it is one of those things that will drive me nuts. does COBB or any of those listed vendors have that type of product that i would need. because if they do there not listing it.

well, you're running on Tein springs and stock shocks.. don't expect that kind of setup to run as well as a set of coilovers... trust me, your numbers aren't bad at all. It may be a little bit "uneven" from left to right, but hey, get someone to sit in your car and things will even out ;)

Here is the thread I started on them:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26381

Keefe

thanks everyone.

Keefe:

i am def interested in those adjustable lateral links. I am trying to search under the thread link that you gave me. Did that 4boxparts ever say anything else as far as him testing them or putting them into a production? I just sent him a private message inquiring about them. i am looking to possibly upgrade the stock struts in the near future. but thats a whole new conversation.

but at that thank you all for your help.

OTM.

Shawn... I don't know your issue... Wasn't the car fine at first? I thought you said it was great... then it got worse.

Are you sure you didn't have a strut go bad?

I run -1 deg in the back (that is what mine settled at with the H-techs). I also run -0.5 in the front. The tread wears even and my car is pretty rock solid.

I have the same set up as you. I'd say something is bent, failed, or at the wrong pressure (tires).

steve: i didnt really get to open it up on the way home. but it did handle fine. i guess it got worse or something along the line. i am uncertain though. i am guessing and judging by the numbers on the attachment, is based on the toe that i had. the way the tech described to me was when i was cornering the toe was just messing me all up. i am not all that pressed about the camber now that eveyone has described taht it is normal. but the toe that i had i guess was pretty bad.

Front left 0.14toe front right 0.13

rear left 0.20 toe rear right 0.20

i had a total toe of 0.27 deg. on the front and 0.40 deg on the rear. so i guess that is where my prob was.

new numbers are

FRONT

cross camber -0.04

cross caster 0.26

cross SAI -0.61

total toe 0.08

REAR

cross camber 0.27

total toe 0.01

thrust angle 0.01

i checked everything on the car. i checked the struts tire pressure got up underneath it and check. i know it would be hard to spot a harline bend but i was willing to get up underneath it and look so i satisfied myslef. but she made a remarkable change. she handles really nice now. i got to open her up a few times around corners and i think i just need some road gripping tires now to accomodate my needs now.

OTM.

steve i tried to get on TS but the server is down or you havent opened it up. i will get ahold of you here before too long to tell you the story. i had to mess with you though. you have been nothing but helpful to me. hey if you need anything please dont hesitate to ask.

OTM.

Adding to the question, and this may be dumb, but is the manufacturer spec 0 deg camber front and back? If so, sounds like everyone is saying add in at least -1 deg front and back for better handling?

No, camber is not at Zero. If you look in your manual it'll tell you what manufacturer suggested camber is. Last i looked it was a tad on the NEG for all four corners (-0.15ish).

All cars have some sort of NEG camber (not alot but it's still there) from the factory nowadays.

Archived