LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT vs. WRX

My mom must have been a Dopamine junkie... I love driving the twisties from my house to the city (about 20 mins), they make Dopamine come out of my ears! Anyway, its them twisties where i smoked these to shame: - Holden Camarro? Coupe - WRX Wagon (not STi) - Toyota Caldina GT Four - BMW 330ci - Holden Calais? SS - Honda NSX - and many others If youre not AWD, forget the twisties man...we rule... hey I'm not into street racing etc, but what normally happens is that I'm innocently driving and folks just chase and tail me and I just have to smoke them for misbehving rite? Once a sports biker did that to me and he overtook and smoked me and I gave chased and tailed him hehe he must have freaked out that I could keep up...but before some lights he made a U-turn and waved and smiled at me...respect man... Gimme the twisties anytime...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
since this topic wont die, and it is aptly titled legacy gt vs. wrx, i figured i'd toss a few coins into the pot. a couple weeks ago coming home from a business trip, this punk rolls up next to me in an '05 wrx that his parents probably shelled out for him. anyway, he has the windows rolled down, pumpin some shitty music, and revving his engine trying to coax me to have a go. at first i wasn't going to bite, but we approached a stop light, clear roads, just us. honestly, having the 5EAT, i thought that he'd hang with me, then eventually pull away. well, light turns green, and i'm on it. as i assumed, going through 1st and 2nd, he was right there with me. coming into 3rd, he was still right beside me. but getting into the latter half of 3rd, shifting into 4th, the LGT started flexing it's muscle, and pulled away without a problem. needless to say, i was impressed at how much power the LGT serves up, and yet still retains it's quiet, mild mannerness...with the only noise coming from the howling engine.

[quote name='Komeng']My mom must have been a Dopamine junkie... I love driving the twisties from my house to the city (about 20 mins), they make Dopamine come out of my ears! Anyway, its them twisties where i smoked these to shame: - Holden Camarro? Coupe - WRX Wagon (not STi) - Toyota Caldina GT Four - BMW 330ci - Holden Calais? SS - Honda NSX - and many others If youre not AWD, forget the twisties man...we rule... hey I'm not into street racing etc, but what normally happens is that I'm innocently driving and folks just chase and tail me and I just have to smoke them for misbehving rite? Once a sports biker did that to me and he overtook and smoked me and I gave chased and tailed him hehe he must have freaked out that I could keep up...but before some lights he made a U-turn and waved and smiled at me...respect man... Gimme the twisties anytime...[/QUOTE] A 330Ci driven by a good driver would not lose in the twisties, thats where itd win, it'd lose in a straight line. And AWD does not give a big advantage except in a little coming out of the corners.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

[quote name='Colonel Angus']at first i wasn't going to bite, but we approached a stop light, clear roads, just us. honestly, having the 5EAT, i thought that he'd hang with me, then eventually pull away. well, light turns green, and i'm on it. as i assumed, going through 1st and 2nd, he was right there with me. coming into 3rd, he was still right beside me. but getting into the latter half of 3rd, shifting into 4th, the LGT started flexing it's muscle, and pulled away without a problem.[/QUOTE] Did you shift the 5EAT manually or leave it in Sport? Ken

Incorrect Bigred. There are three modes: regular, sport, and manual. If you move the shifter to the left, the "Sport" indicator pops up on your dash. If you then shift manually, the "Sport" goes away and the gear number pops up.

I think the reasopn some of you seem to think the LGT is faster is the torque factor (250 versus 217) this is where you get the "set you back in the seats" effect. Thus, giving the impression of being "faster". I drove a RX-8 before getting my WRX (which I traded in for LGT 5MT) and the RX-8 had 238 horespower but only 153 ilbs of torque. The RX-8 will do 0-60 in anyhwere from 6.3 to 6.6 seconds which isn't too shabby but when I drove it, the lack of torque just didn't give the impression of being fast.

[quote name='05LegacyGT330Ci']A 330Ci driven by a good driver would not lose in the twisties, thats where itd win, it'd lose in a straight line. And AWD does not give a big advantage except in a little coming out of the corners.[/QUOTE] That and I wouldn't try it with a Rx-8. You will get your butt handed to you in the twisties. Thats were the car lives.
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

doing 0 to 60 in 6.3 seconds in one car with 238 hp and 153 ftlbs would feel the same as going 0 to 60 in 6.3 seconds in a car with 300 ftlbs and 170 hp. toque without Hp is useless in cars and HP without Torque is equally useless, you need them both. If you have 2 equal HP cars but with differing torque you will feel a difference because there is a difference.
Hmmmmm, still thinking :confused:

[quote name='ManM']Incorrect Bigred. There are three modes: regular, sport, and manual. If you move the shifter to the left, the "Sport" indicator pops up on your dash. If you then shift manually, the "Sport" goes away and the gear number pops up.[/QUOTE] that is soo cool I wonder how I never noticed that. I will take back my statement, I was wrong. Damn I'm never putting it in normal auto again.

[quote name='Bigred']that is soo cool I wonder how I never noticed that. I will take back my statement, I was wrong. Damn I'm never putting it in normal auto again.[/QUOTE] Welcome to the Sports Mode world bro...it makes a huge behavioural difference in this case what with drive-by-wire and all...

[quote name='Ken S']Did you shift the 5EAT manually or leave it in Sport? Ken[/QUOTE] i had it in sport shift mode. i'm actually do the shifting 85% of the time i'm driving. the only time i have it in auto or sport mode is in chicago traffic. i assume that had i had it in whichever auto mode, it would've been a little closer. that extra serving of torque over the wrx sure helps;)

what would happen if you hold the brake down while in first in the AT then mash on the gas and around 5000 rpm or so pop the brake. I imagine if the transmission holds together and nothing brakes this would have a similar outcome of popping the clutch for quicker starts? soo what would I break, or at the very least begin to ware down?

yes but what is severe, I'm not talking about holding it for very long only about 1 or 2 seconds that popping the break, and also not everytime just if I ever need to get moving from a stop quicker than what it does.

A braked-torque launch will usually improve times, but yes, it generates massive amounts of heat very quickly in your TC. You also need to consider the stall speed of the TC -- I don't think you'll get to 5000RPM with a stock unit. Ken

^ Agreed I'd like to find out what the stall speed is on the stock unit, I would think under 3000. Your just cooking the transmission everytime you brake torque.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

Archived