LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT vs. WRX

I have driven a stock wrx for the last 3 years. The legacy definetely handles better 'stock vs stock'. I am assuming it is because of the tires. Also, the legacy doesn't have as many 'dead bands of torque'. I can't tell you how many times in my wrx that I was in second with no torque, yet I was driving too fast to shift into first without double clutching.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='Xaqtly']No, the tires are exactly the same on the WRX and the Legacy - those god-awful RE-92s. The reasons the Legacy handles better is because it's tuned better and it's more neutrally balanced.[/quote] Xaqtly, they are not the same tires. They are both RE92s, but that is just the tread pattern. The WRX has P205/55VR16 tires while the Legacy has 215/45ZR17 tires. The Z rated tires have a softer/more grippy rubber durometer. This will improve handling. Also, the shorter sidewalls are always going to help the handling.

[quote name='gtguy']Permit me a quibble: Why does it matter? Kevin[/QUOTE] Because numbers matter...otherwise it wouldn't be such a focal point in car testing, magazine articles and testing, going to the dragstrip, etc etc. Comparing numbers between two cars matters a WHOLE LOT to most auto enthusiasts. I drove a WRX a couple times and then drove the LGT...I'd agree with most here, regardless of what the magazines got in their tests, the LGT felt significantly faster. From a roll, I'd say it would walk away from a WRX. Off the line with high rpm launches, it might be pretty close up to 60-70 mph, but then I'm sure the LGT would start to pull away. But again, that's off of "feel" I'm sure some people (including myself) will soon do some rolling runs to compare the two cars power/gearing from several different starting speeds.

[quote name='Driver72']Because numbers matter...otherwise it wouldn't be such a focal point in car testing, magazine articles and testing, going to the dragstrip, etc etc. Comparing numbers between two cars matters a WHOLE LOT to most auto enthusiasts. I drove a WRX a couple times and then drove the LGT...I'd agree with most here, regardless of what the magazines got in their tests, the LGT felt significantly faster. From a roll, I'd say it would walk away from a WRX. Off the line with high rpm launches, it might be pretty close up to 60-70 mph, but then I'm sure the LGT would start to pull away. But again, that's off of "feel" I'm sure some people (including myself) will soon do some rolling runs to compare the two cars power/gearing from several different starting speeds.[/QUOTE] What I mean is, you have the car that you have, and presumably you're happy with it. There will always be something faster, so why worry about it? It will just drive you crazy. When a magazine tests a car, who knows how good the driver is. This accounts for the wide variance in test numbers for any given publication, and real-world speed differences. If somebody in a 360 Modena is a poor driver, an STi will be faster, which doesn't mean that the STi in fact IS faster. Hence the question, why does it matter? I'm sure it does to some, though I will admit to never understanding it, something that probably also explains why I don't understand power mods, and buying a car for its potential, rather than for what it is. Kevin

[quote name='gtguy']What I mean is, you have the car that you have, and presumably you're happy with it. There will always be something faster, so why worry about it? It will just drive you crazy. When a magazine tests a car, who knows how good the driver is. This accounts for the wide variance in test numbers for any given publication, and real-world speed differences. If somebody in a 360 Modena is a poor driver, an STi will be faster, which doesn't mean that the STi in fact IS faster. Hence the question, why does it matter? I'm sure it does to some, though I will admit to never understanding it, something that probably also explains why I don't understand power mods, and buying a car for its potential, rather than for what it is. Kevin[/QUOTE] Dopamine! Wait a minute. I'm not familiar with the new format of this forum. How do you post links? I'll try simple html. I found an article on this subject here: [url]http://www.sciencentral.com/articles/view.php3?type=article&article_id=218392264[/url] Here's a snippet: "What goes on in the brain of a gambler? Researchers have found that the feeling of excitement might be linked to the release in the brain of dopamine, a chemical associated with the pleasure people get from eating, sex, and drugs." Insert "car racing" in there with eating, sex and drugs. Its as simple as that GTguy. We get excited about it. If I wasn't a dopamine addict, I'd have bought a Toyota Prius.

[quote name='Whitestar Pilot']Dopamine! Wait a minute. I'm not familiar with the new format of this forum. How do you post links? I'll try simple html. I found an article on this subject here: [url]http://www.sciencentral.com/articles/view.php3?type=article&article_id=218392264[/url] Here's a snippet: "What goes on in the brain of a gambler? Researchers have found that the feeling of excitement might be linked to the release in the brain of dopamine, a chemical associated with the pleasure people get from eating, sex, and drugs." Insert "car racing" in there with eating, sex and drugs. Its as simple as that GTguy. We get excited about it. If I wasn't a dopamine addict, I'd have bought a Toyota Prius.[/QUOTE] Car & Driver set a Prius record with a speed of about 132 mph at the Bonneville Salt Flats. So you could well serve your dopa addiction with a hybrid. Kevin

[quote name='skibud2']Xaqtly, they are not the same tires. They are both RE92s, but that is just the tread pattern. The WRX has P205/55VR16 tires while the Legacy has 215/45ZR17 tires. The Z rated tires have a softer/more grippy rubber durometer. This will improve handling. Also, the shorter sidewalls are always going to help the handling.[/QUOTE] ...and they're both RE-92s, and they both suck, as I said. The tires on the Legacy have negligible lateral grip, it's way too easy to get them screaming for traction. Take a turn, screeeeech. Take a different turn, screeeech. Brake hard, scree-ee-ee-ee-ch (ABS). Look at them funny, screeeech. So far a lot of the magazines have noticed longer than average stopping distances in the Legacy, despite having good brakes. Why? RE-92s. Skidpad numbers are kind of low, despite the Legacy's nice balance. Why? RE-92s. Defending RE-92s is pointless. They suck. First I had a WRX with them, now I have a Legacy with them. The WRX got a set of Azenis, and the Legacy will too.

[quote name='Drift Monkey']I've owned one so I can tell it's faster than a WRX...but otherwise I got a chance to run a couple of them (mostly stock or TBE) and they haven't been a problem. It seems the Legacy's 3rd gear is where I start walking away though...[/QUOTE] That's why we're going to need a Stage 1 ECU flash to give us full boost in the lower two gears. ;)

I agree i'm dfown in the automatic catagory, well im off to pick up my gt from the dealer, in a week or 2 im going to take on my friends bmw 328, i think im gonna smoke him no prob then i can finaly shut him up about having a slow car. by the way my (for now) other car is a slightly modded 95 camry le, so the gt is a huge improvement [quote name='godwhomismike']We need a Subaru day at the track, get a bunch of owners togeter, test automatic vs automatic, stage 1 WRX vs stock Legacy, manual vs manual, so on and so forth. Around my way is Englishtown Raceway ([url]http://www.etownraceway.com[/url]) :wink: . - Mike[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ih8vtec13']by the way my (for now) other car is a slightly modded 95 camry le, so the gt is a huge improvement[/QUOTE] Now that's a first. A modified Camry and an LE at that too! ;) It'll be a few steps jump from your Toyota. Heck it's a step up from Lexus IS300 too in terms of performance. :D

[quote name='Whitestar Pilot']Dopamine! Wait a minute. I'm not familiar with the new format of this forum. How do you post links? I'll try simple html. I found an article on this subject here: [url]http://www.sciencentral.com/articles/view.php3?type=article&article_id=218392264[/url] Here's a snippet: "What goes on in the brain of a gambler? Researchers have found that the feeling of excitement might be linked to the release in the brain of dopamine, a chemical associated with the pleasure people get from eating, sex, and drugs." Insert "car racing" in there with eating, sex and drugs. Its as simple as that GTguy. We get excited about it. If I wasn't a dopamine addict, I'd have bought a Toyota Prius.[/QUOTE] It's not ONLY Dopamine. Don't forget the testosterone. So...it's a drug COCKtail that's responsible...

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

let's get down to it. us subaru owners know da legacy can definitely pump a wrx. da stock legacy can pump enoooough fast and wanna-be fast rides out there.including the boxster or any bullshit honda or audi out there. put a bigger turbo and da m*thafuckah willl pump M3s... trust me, they don't know.

You would think that this topic would be dead and that others would not have anything to say, but I gotta speak up! I came from a modified 03 Corvette that had 400hp, and ran high twelves in the quarter mile. Why did I buy it? Speed, like it, love it, gotta have it!!!! This does not mean that I blast past people at 120, or that I cut people off, or that I do 60 down a neighborhood street with kids on it? NO I DO NOT! If the road is open and clear, if a guy pulls up to me and revs his motor at me on an empty road in the middle of the night, or I am blasting to get past one of those rock carrying trucks that gotta drive down the middle of the freeway, I GET ON IT!!! I also own a 04 Jeep Wrangler that does 0 to 60 in about 12 seconds, why did I buy it? For offroading!!!!! I hate that when people yell at me, why do you race, why do you like to go fast, what do you need that car for. I never understood those guys that were in my Corvette club that never went 1 mph over the speed limit. They drive their Vettes in the slow lane at 5 under the limit, why?????????? That makes no sense to me and I can see questioning that, but people here that bought a Sports Car(what Subaru calls it)or a Sports Sedan(what all the magazines call it), and they are gonna say what does it matter, who cares how fast it is, I don't understand YOU! Yes I believe in not endangering others, not driving while drunk or tired or medicated, and If my driving does nothing to affect you, then leave me alone! I went into the dealership to look at a 05 STI, why, when I was spinning my wheels at a light, and the STI that I blow away at the track with the Vette, only cause I got slicks on, blows my door off to the next light made me say, hell yeah to AWD. A lot of people think that Vettes got increadible handling and what not, well after a year of the fascination of pure high speed capabilities I started to realize something. My car was noisy, uncomfortable, hard to get in and out of, attracted cops like a flys to you know what, and rattled and squeeked where ever I went. I would also get deaf from all the road noise and the wind noise leaking into the cab. This was supposed to be the ultimate American sports car that cost $50,000. I said BAH to it. Got tired of it. I looked at an STI, and didn't like it at all. The dealer showed me a B4 for 05, I never even heard of it. After two test drives and reading a couple of reviews, I was hooked. I had dreams about the car, and sometimes couldn't get my mind off of it while driving my Vette. I love every minute with this car, and look forward to every drive. That only lasted for 4 days with the Vette. Someone like me who has always liked fast cars for speed and supposedly got one of the dream cars for so many people said no to performance twice cause of the Legacy. Yeah, I want more power and WILL do a stage 2 kit on this car, but there is so many things I like about this car so much, the fit and finish, the look, the ride, the handling, the quiteness. What a package. For everything that this car offers, I gave up pure power and speed for having it all, but I sure didn't buy it so I can sit in the slow lane and do 5 under the limit! So when someone says, how fast is it, or what cars can it take, I want to hear an answer too, cause I want to know.

[quote name='wunderkind']Now that's a first. A modified Camry and an LE at that too! ;) It'll be a few steps jump from your Toyota. Heck it's a step up from Lexus IS300 too in terms of performance. :D[/QUOTE] hey it wasjust rims tires intake indaglo gauges and every lens changed. i was looking into an awd conversion because i thought my insurnce would be to high but i said screw it lgt and now i have one in black

[quote name='parado25']let's get down to it. us subaru owners know da legacy can definitely pump a wrx. da stock legacy can pump enoooough fast and wanna-be fast rides out there.including the boxster or any bullshit honda or audi out there. put a bigger turbo and da m*thafuckah willl pump M3s... trust me, they don't know.[/QUOTE] the legacy wil deffinatly kill most imports other then the obvious ones (supra, 300z, rx7, nsx) and even then it will give them a good run

I went from a stock 2002 WRX manual tranny, which I drove for 3 1/2 years, to a 05 Legacy GT limited Auto tanny. from 0 to 100, the stock standard WRX definatly got to 100 before this auto GT does.
Hmmmmm, still thinking :confused:

speed is a rush no doubt.The LS1 powered Camaro SS drops well over 400hp to the wheels through a high stall auto and runs high 10's at the strip.I had a run in with an STI while driving the Camaro.This guy had a cutout (thing was LOUD) aftermarket turbo (on an '04!) programming etc he said he ran it at Etown andran 12.2's but this was before the cutout and he thought it should go high 11's.Anyway he came looking for trouble and I helped him out.We went from a dig he must have let the clutch loose at 5K then leaped hard and I had to roll into mine but soon I was pulling his ass hardcore.He was pretty surprised and wanted to go again so I tossed him for a second time.He told me he had never been pulled on like that before and my car sounded freakin evil as I rolled by him.So having a high ten second street driven car and jumping into the Legacy will be for me well not the same as jumping from The Hyundai elantra into the LGT.All the features inside and the AWD are what i'm really looking forward too.Dont get me wrong i'll be wringing on the LGT every chance and if a race comes alongside me it's game on.Taking the Camaro to Atco on Nov 11th for a track rental day the custom tune is done and the new gears are in so I'm hoping to see some [email="10.7's@126ish.Heres"]10.7's@126ish.Heres[/email] a shot of the two Orange toys (can never have too many toys right?)[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SAAjAxwUxrabBiEaUfPpJpIslU5W5agRcRGgNnDb4TwD7GkyQTpfC*4vXFrVEbTNjGUDWvC8TGyqhfSZeCNUDwlaVR2AdIHK*tINld*jD1czAAAAynKXAg/IMG_0589.JPG[/img]

Archived