LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT vs. WRX

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not what you are looking for but... I went from an 02WRX to an 05LGT. If I raced myself in both, I'd win in the latter. Road and Track had it 5.6 secs 0-60 AND there is virtually no turbo lag. When I drove my WRX up to the dealership, test drove the LGT and got back in my WRX to drive home, there was a noticeable difference. The LGT FELT quicker. But, I'll leave it to others who have actually experienced the race...

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Permit me a quibble: Why does it matter? Drive a Legacy, or drive a WRX. If mere speed is the question, Car & Driver got a faster time out of a WRX (5.4 seconds) than they got from a Legacy GT. So if you trust magazines, the WRX is faster, so there ya go. Some of us who have owned and driven both, know better, however. :lol: "Numbers" depend upon so much: driver, testing conditions, testing location, abrasiveness of surface, etc, etc. Kevin

It really doesn't matter, I just wanted to know how it stands up against the wrx? I understand that numbers differ depending on the elements and between different magizines but I wanted to know what the members think. I myself have owned a wrx and am now just owning a GT.

oh come on guys, you are all sounding like you've been beat by a wrx. Don't give me the "it isn't who wins, its how you play the game" speech. Can anyone tell me that they ran against a wrx and either beat it or lost to it. Thats all I want to know. I have friends that have them, but they are all sti's or modded up.

[quote name='wunderkind']i'd hate to see or read about a subaru owner racing another subaru owner on the streets. that's just so disgusting. Please keep those mentality within the Honduh crowds![/quote] I'm not saying turn on the neons and nawz it up. I'm talking about good sportsmanship competative fun with another subaru owner. You drive a sporty car and thats what people do with sporty cars. And as I said before, I don't condone street racing but if you know someone that knows someone then that story would be nice. Just my .02

I've raced two WRXes now. One of them, I first beat him around a long onramp, then we went at it a couple times from a 50 MPH roll, and I pulled him steadily both times. With the second one, we went from a stop, but neither of us launched hard. We started off soft, and then got on it. As soon as we did I immediately started pulling him, then we shifted to 2nd and I pulled him some more. So yeah, the LGT is faster.

I've been taking on all comers on the street for the last four years in my Trans Am, but the one meaningful car I never ran into was a WRX. Now that I have the Legacy, I doubt this will change. Subies are rare in my neck of the woods. We only have one dealer, and it is tucked away behind the #2 Pontiac dealer in town, and for some reason they NEVER ADVERTISE. Were it not for national advertising, and the sweet Legacy GT I bumped into on display inside Northpark Mall while vacationing in Dallas, I wouldn't have even known of the new Legacy. :o --- And GTGuy... come on now, stop being such a prude. There, I called you another name, so add it to your list! Seriously, you don't seem to understand the mindset of the common American sportcar/sedan driver. Let me break it down for you. You see, our brains need to produce a chemical called Dopamine to make us feel good. When we race our cars, we get a huge rush of dopamine, and we get really excited about it. When not in our cars, we can also get the dopamine flowing by sitting at a keyboard and typing stories about racing cars, or about the race we had earlier in the day! So psychologically, we need our little chat sessions from time to time about racing other types of cars, whether at the track or on the street. As upstanding citizens, we've chosen not to get the dopamine flowing to our brains by using illegal drugs. Instead we just want to chat tonight about whether or not anyone has yet spanked a WRX in their new Legacy. So, are you going to be cool with this, or do I need to keep going? :wink:

[quote name='iamEJ25'][quote name='liquidiq']I did a 5th gear 60mph punch with my friend during break-in (4k limit, heh) and pulled him. He has an 02 WRX with inlet pipe and catback.[/quote] something must be wrong with mine, it takes a while to get from 60-80mph in 5th[/quote] sounds like the need for a 5th to 3rd drop right there...it won't take long to get to 80 then, and if you are on the gas 115 isn't too far away either... :mrgreen:

having gone from a wrx to the legacy, they feel pretty close to me--it might well depend on the driver. Especially as far as an all out run from a stop. I think in many rolling situations the Legacy definitely has the edge--way better low end torque. I also notice that while times from the earliest wrx's like I had were pretty good--many 5.4's and such, that many of the times from later wrx's seem a bit slower--high 5's to even a couple of 6.1's or so I have seen. I wonder if some of the changes in the clutch and such have slowed them just a tad. I don't necessarily see anything wrong with a friendly run with a wrx--more of an appreciating the other guys car deal than a competition sort of deal.

I have raced a Stage 1 WRX, Stage 2 WRX, and a 05 STI. From a stop a lot of skill and luck comes into play depending on the launch you get. Against the Stage 1 WRX I had a terrible launch, and he launched hard, I could smell his clutch. He pulled about 2 cars on the launch. From a roll in 2nd or 3rd its about even against a Stage 1 and Stage 2, near the end the LGT pulls away a little against the Stage 1, but vs the Stage 2 it pulls a little harder. In 4th, its just sick you will pull hard on a Stage 1 or Stage 2 WRX. Ive also raced a Stage 4 WRX, pretty much same results as a STI, they just pull away quick. Maybe in 4th or 5th when they are building boost you could pull away from them enough. So LGT > Stage 1 WRX - granted you get a good launch LGT <> Stage 2 WRX - From a stop he will take you, from a highway roll in 4th or 5th you should take him. LGT < STI - Don't even bother until you get some mods on, hehe. I don't go out of my way to try and find WRX's to race, I just happen to know a lot and we like to do testing to see the progression of our mods or our driving skills.

now this what I'm talking about people. I knew that there were people here that couldn't drive this car like most people drive minivans. I bet is physically impossible not to stick you foot to the floor in this car. Why else would anyone buy a sporty car if they didn't drive it as such. Haha good stories guys. I loved having my wrx and I'm glad I upgrade to the GT. Friendly competition never hurts as long as you leave it at that and at the track or fictional stories. ;)

If two cars are within a few tenths in 0-60 and 1/4 mi, making it mostly a drivers race, then speed would not be a deciding factor in me buying one over the other. It sounds like that's the case with WRX vs. legGT. How about handling? I've heard the Leg has quite a bit more body roll and can't handle the twisties like a WRX.

[quote name='gurpman']If two cars are within a few tenths in 0-60 and 1/4 mi, making it mostly a drivers race, then speed would not be a deciding factor in me buying one over the other. It sounds like that's the case with WRX vs. legGT. How about handling? I've heard the Leg has quite a bit more body roll and can't handle the twisties like a WRX.[/quote] This is also a driver thing. But in my case, with the same wheels and tires, the GT is faster along the same roads. Kevin

[quote name='gtguy'][quote name='gurpman']If two cars are within a few tenths in 0-60 and 1/4 mi, making it mostly a drivers race, then speed would not be a deciding factor in me buying one over the other. It sounds like that's the case with WRX vs. legGT. How about handling? I've heard the Leg has quite a bit more body roll and can't handle the twisties like a WRX.[/quote] This is also a driver thing. But in my case, with the same wheels and tires, the GT is faster along the same roads. Kevin[/quote] Awesome.

Yeah it's definitely faster and a better handler than the WRX. The WRX is a body rolling, understeering pig, and while the Legacy does have some body roll, it's a lot more balanced. Also, the WRX has nothing on the Legacy's ability to blast out of a corner. Now that is some fun right there.

Archived