LegacyGT.com

V6 Mustang owners are completely clueless.

I'd love to have a 1986 4cyl Mustang.

SVO that is.

The V6 is nothing special and about as exciting as the non performance version of pretty much any other car out there.

For the solid axle - pro driver or not they are handling as well the 911 and M3s which are being driven by other pro drivers.

What about IRS with a leaf spring?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well I must add as well. My friends buddy has a Cobra from the first year they came out (1993?)... and it is MINT and failry un-touched. Outside looks stock and body is beautiful, interior is stock and mint... I was never a fan of that body style until I saw (and rode in) his Mustang. IT HAULS. And something about seeing an older car that is in showroom condition is just nice.

lol on that same topic I once saw (and forget where) a showroom condition, mint condition Dodge Aries K car (maybe a 1988?) :lol::lol:. Probably once owned by some old lady who put 5,000 miles on it and kept it in the garage. I once owned one (rust bucket), and I thought it was sweet to see one in such good condition.

Im not a big fan of comparing the muscle cars to our LGTs. I had the 11 sec camaro and you would have to spend a ton to get the lgt to that point. They are just two different cars and they have two different types of fun. Personally if your goal in modding your LGT is to race rustangs then you need to sell it and start with a v-8 platform. You will get much more bang for the buck. These guys with the v-6s are stupid and just talking trash like normal kid racers. Just look at them and smile knowing you have a much better car and that they are just too stupid to know it.

:dm: 2007 DGM LGT :dm:

:icon_twis 2003 Suzuki SV650S :icon_twis

Im not a big fan of comparing the muscle cars to our LGTs. I had the 11 sec camaro and you would have to spend a ton to get the lgt to that point. They are just two different cars and they have two different types of fun. Personally if your goal in modding your LGT is to race rustangs then you need to sell it and start with a v-8 platform. You will get much more bang for the buck. These guys with the v-6s are stupid and just talking trash like normal kid racers. Just look at them and smile knowing you have a much better car and that they are just too stupid to know it.

I hear that. I just think it is funny to have a car that is faster with half the engine size. But you are totally right. The main reason I chose an LGT was because of the superb reputation of Subaru and AWD. I don't want to be doing 180s in the snow like I used to when I owned a 3 series BMW. The LGT in my opinion is by FAR the best bang for my buck. I went to Va Tech for a couple of years before transferring to Radford and graduating. Go Hokies!

I hear that. I just think it is funny to have a car that is faster with half the engine size. But you are totally right. The main reason I chose an LGT was because of the superb reputation of Subaru and AWD. I don't want to be doing 180s in the snow like I used to when I owned a 3 series BMW. The LGT in my opinion is by FAR the best bang for my buck. I went to Va Tech for a couple of years before transferring to Radford and graduating. Go Hokies!

Heck ya buddy go Hokies! VTGT is also down here with me and hopefully (if he stays on task ha ha) we will be getting him to stage 2 after thanksgiving break. If you are ever down here for a game hit me up.

Heck ya buddy go Hokies! VTGT is also down here with me and hopefully (if he stays on task ha ha) we will be getting him to stage 2 after thanksgiving break. If you are ever down here for a game hit me up.

My parents live in Roanoke, I will heading home on Thanksgiving and Xmas.

I've been questioning Ford's sanity since the S197 Mustangs came out.

The GT concept coupe and convertible were amazing. I figured they would add rear seats to the coupe, and sell the car. Unfortunately, they did not.

No IRS. No hatchback. Continued use of that dinosaur truck engine 4.0 V6. Unsatisfactory interior ergonomics and materials. A lot of excess weight.

It looks interesting, but under the skin, it loses it's luster. (I used to be the biggest mustang maniac ever... so I am not a hater, I've just not stagnated in my automotive tastes, as the Mustang has in it's technical specs.)

Men can drive V6 Mustangs, though. It just depends on why. (I even had a 4cyl-AOD mustang hatch when I was in high-school. it was a piece, but it got me around, and I paid it off early...)

My dad has an 05 V6 Mustang Convertible, with an automatic. It is a bright red car with black interior and top, and black sill stripes. He wanted a cruiser convertible that looks decent, is easy to maintain, and has enough room for comfortable travel. Power, handling, and bragging rights are not in there. Not much different in purpose from the original 65 Mustang Convertible with an I6, and falcon suspension

He actually wanted to get the pony package, but it wasn't available in '05. The Pony package adds the small grille fog lights (not the GT pie-plates...), and chrome grille trim, ABS brakes, and 17" wheels, rather than 16s.

It does what he needs, but he is 21 years older than me, a pastor, volunteer fire chief, and car restorer, master gardener, among several other hobbies. He would be the last one to flame people on automotive message boards, or really try to drag race his Mustang. He cross shopped with the Chrysler Sebring convertible, which was much worse in just about every category. Not the ultimate performance car segment...

He hasn't seen my Legacy yet, probably later this week... but after driving his car, even if it had a stick... it has NOTHING on mine. practicality, driving dynamics, power, or anything. Looks are subjective, and very different between a Mustang Convertible and a four door sedan. Even with a stock V8 it would be closer in terms of performance than most performance-minded mustang folks would like to admit, due to it's extra 600lbs.

If the S197 weighed about as much as a Legacy GT, and looked more like the concept car, and had an IRS, I would be more enthused.

And BTW, most road racing happens on nicely manicured tracks, with modified live axle suspensions in the Mustang race cars. I can understand that. But, it is also MUCH different than NVH involved with tackling rough and pot-holed roads on stock springs and dampers with an inflexible rear axle. Good it may be... but since when is 'good enough' enough? I'd prever truly capable, or superior. Truck axle, truck engine, truck weight... all that is missing is truck utility, otherwise they could use the Mustang to replace their ancient Ranger.

The v6 Mustang exists for one reason: it's the cash cow. It's the reason the Mustang is here and the F-body is not. Ford sells so many of them, whether it be to girls, teenagers who wanted a GT, old people and rental cars, that it makes the v8 versions possible. The sheer volume of sales, v6 and v8 combined, keep the car profitable. If you went just by v8 sales, it wouldn't be enough to keep the car afloat.

Oddly enough, Ford sold a great deal more v6 Mustangs than GM sold v6 F-bodies. Weird, but true!

The v6 Mustang exists for one reason: it's the cash cow. It's the reason the Mustang is here and the F-body is not. Ford sells so many of them, whether it be to girls, teenagers who wanted a GT, old people and rental cars, that it makes the v8 versions possible. The sheer volume of sales, v6 and v8 combined, keep the car profitable. If you went just by v8 sales, it wouldn't be enough to keep the car afloat.

Oddly enough, Ford sold a great deal more v6 Mustangs than GM sold v6 F-bodies. Weird, but true!

Just goes to show you can't learn or buy taste. :lol::lol::lol: Time will tell if the new camaros can do well.

Dang I never got to read it.

BTW, Ford makes a Duratec 3.0 V6 that puts out 220 horsepower--in the Mazda6. That's a lot better displacement/power ratio, but I guess it was too cost prohibitive for them to put that in the base Mustang, which is too bad.

Highlights were:

-Some guy thought a Forester would be faster from a roll than a stop.

-Some guy called Subarus piles of crap.

-Many un-informed people were laughing at the thought that a Forester would even attempt to take on a V6 Stang.

-I owned the aforementioned parties in a logical argument and posted up my personal time slip of what an essentially stock (stage 1) automatic wagon can do (14.1).

-V6 Mustang owners with such mods as underbody lights and louvres tried to make various irrelevant arguments including, but not limited to: exterior styling is better than going fast or having a nice interior, Japanese cars are rice (excuse me, you have neons on your car), if you took the turbo off the Subaru, it wouldn't be as fast.

Highlights were:

-Some guy thought a Forester would be faster from a roll than a stop.

-Some guy called Subarus piles of crap.

-Many un-informed people were laughing at the thought that a Forester would even attempt to take on a V6 Stang.

-I owned the aforementioned parties in a logical argument and posted up my personal time slip of what an essentially stock (stage 1) automatic wagon can do (14.1).

-V6 Mustang owners with such mods as underbody lights and louvres tried to make various irrelevant arguments including, but not limited to: exterior styling is better than going fast or having a nice interior, Japanese cars are rice (excuse me, you have neons on your car), if you took the turbo off the Subaru, it wouldn't be as fast.

Wow, thanks for the rundown. That last comment was the best!

Too bad Ford doesn't have the balls to put a turbo ON any of their cars anymore.

The SVO 2.3 Turbo was actually a pretty good motor for its day, and worked well in the SVO Mustang, Mercur XR4Ti, and the Thunderbird Turbo.

Archived