LegacyGT.com

Garmin StreetPilot Navigation System (C330)

PhilT

I bought the 330 this morning, plug and play, so easy even I can use it.

The one thing I forgot to do before trying it out though, was to deselect "unpaved roads" so I ended up taking 10 miles of gravel roads on the way home :lol:

Got to admit, from being a non believer in these things, I am very impressed.

we had 'most direct route' selected on a trip to Cleveland in May and it took us up Rt 40/National Rd. We weren't in a hurry (thank god!) but we got to see a part of America long since forgotten. :cool:

I usually check http://gpsinformation.net/ for product reviews. We put GPS in all our company cars so we buy a lot of them.

What do the Nuvi's cost in CA? Most of the them have the new receiver and are much thinner than the C series.

If budget is tight, check eBay CA for used models. We just got Nuvi 660's to replace most of our older Garmin 2610's. The 2610's work perfectly well and will sell used for only US$200 or $250, it seems.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I have a lot of experience with the C330...great unit. No frills, just gets the job done right.

I have a buddy who bought the Pioneer AVIC S-3 and he loves it. Bluetooth and cheeeep! You lose a little on the Points of Interest (1.5m with the Pioneer vs. 6m with the Garmin, but has shorter depth and bluetooth! Did I mention bluetooth? Only problem is that its a new product, and runs on Windows moble OS.

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

I have the C330 as well and love it. Not perfect mind you, but very good. It does, as PGT suggested, like to take you on scenic routes, but we all LIKE to drive, right:icon_wink ? It will make mistakes. For example, yesterday, it directed me to exit 3B instead of 3A (I knew 3A was correct). It then directed me to make a left which would have been an illegal turn (3A would have had me merging onto the highway in the correct direction) . Had to turn right and make a U turn. Nevertheless, I really like it. Check post #22 here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38130&page=2&highlight=Garmin+C330

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

• 5 weeks later...
just to check, can these garmin units be plugged into the car, or must it run on the battery, which lasts only 8h? what happens for long trips then?

They come with the 12V cable above. The other Garmins we bought also have a 120 VAC cable as well.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I have one and my only complaint is that some of the POI are marked wrong,I don't know if it's they unit or the mapping software and there are no PIO for Nova Scotia or Nfld.

Other than that its great.

I have one and my only complaint is that some of the POI are marked wrong,I don't know if it's they unit or the mapping software and there are no PIO for Nova Scotia or Nfld.

Other than that its great.

You'll have this with any GPS unit. Garmin has the most POIs of any other portable GPS navigation unit though, so that makes up for some of them being a few hundred yards off.

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

just to check, can these garmin units be plugged into the car, or must it run on the battery, which lasts only 8h? what happens for long trips then?

the battery power is nice if you want to use the 12V socket for something else as well, like a cell phone or portable DVD. 8hrs of run time and it only takes about 20-30 minutes for a full recharge.

Archived