LegacyGT.com

Modifying stock DP?

vodoo-chile

So we're talking 12 less WHP and 4 lbs of TQ vs an LGT with a true DP, catless uppipe, filter and Perrin TMIC. Sounds like a win, being that you saved roughly $1200 in mods and left atleast 5whp on table by not gutting the UP which is free. I guess some people will not agree soley because they must justify there purchases. Only difference we are actually arguing here is piping diameter. I say this, gutted works well with stock exhaust aftermarket would be a better option for a full 3" TBE.

Regarding the price for simple aftermarket parts, I couldn't agree more. $200-$300 for a 'simple bend' piece of exhaust plumbing just makes me grind my teeth. $1000-$1200 for a turbo back system is price prohibitive for me. :(

I just surfed on over to one of our parts vendors, and the catless LGT downpipe is priced at $639. WTF is up with that? Your parts may be good, but hell man - they arent' THAT good...

I wonder if there are slightly better gains from a gutted dp and mp instead of just a shorty (such as flow or crucial).

Leaning very close to gutting, because someone said they were not that impressed with stage 2 with just a shorty and sti uppipe, but i can scrounge up some parts for gutting it should be under 150, which ain't much, even if it doesn't make a huge diference in power.

No 5eat has been dinoed with gutted pipes tho im assuming its around 230ish whp 280 wtq.

• 8 months later...

So I went and got another dyno plot, same mods as before but now with a custom Magnaflow Cat Back and a SAFE Pro tune on 93oct pump gas. Over all a 14hp & 5tq gain but just look at the area gain under the curve. Between 10 - 20tq & up to 18hp gain over the old tune at the same rpm's :eek:

*Update*

Added a gutted WRX Up-Pipe and had a Pro-Tune on 100oct (about 98oct with the mix of gas in tank). Not much of a peak whp gain but when you look at the dyno plot you can see a 15whp gain from less than 2500rpm up to 4500rpm and a 30wtq gain again from below 2500rpm up to 4000rpm, now thats power you can feel ! :)

e-tune gutted down/mid

242hp @ 5250rpm with >240hp from 5150-5850rpm

291tq @ 3050rpm with >290tq from 3000-3150rpm

Pro-tune gutted down/mid, CBE

256hp @ 5350rpm with >240hp from 4400-6200rpm

296tq @ 3750 with >290tq from 3000-4000rpm

Pro-Tune 100oct gutted WRX up-pipe, gutted down/mid, CBE

265whp @5150 with >240whp from 3950-6250rpm

330wtq @3500rpm with >290wtq from 2750-4750rpm

http://nutter.smugmug.com/photos/184077446-O.jpg

http://nutter.smugmug.com/photos/271730500_eL2P5-X2.jpg

wtg Jorge and P&L

John

I did not expect to "feel" much if any differance. However truth is its there ! I can realy feel it and not just a little bit :) The car was also falling a little flat on fast upshifts, say hard on the gas in 2nd pulling great then up shift close to the redline and floor it again in 3rd and the go/surge/push was just not there. The new tune was the real reason I can now "feel" the extra power. Not that I had a bad tune, it still put out good numbers but I do not think it was quite right for the car as it stood cbe and all. Well woth the hour of Dyno time.

John

Nice data. This adds to the conception that a cbe does give a decent power gain especially under the curve.

The real question is can you feel it :)

• 7 months later...

Quick confirmation on this since I have been around for a while but just finally read some posts that has me thinking I want to gut my stock downpipe until I have the $$ and wifey's permission to get the AVO DP.

So if I gut the downpipe only, leave the other cat in place, with stock uppipe and exhuast, I can run Stage 2 on my AP with no problems? If that's the case I'm gutting my downpipe this afternoon.

Kind of what I thought. No biggee, I plan on ordering my UP sometime this next week. No way I plan on gutting my stock UP, it sounds like a hassle.

yes it is! :lol:

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

you need to have a catless UP as well.

Mmmm well you do NOT realy NEED an up-pipe to go stage 2, I ran with a catted up-pipe for just over a year on a stage 2 tune, I just (2 weeks ago) installed an up-pipe. All my dyno numbers with the exception of this last 100oct Pro-Tune where with a catted up-pipe. If you remove the down-pipe cat you can go STG2, better still remove both the down-pipe and mid-pipe cat and you will have the same setup I ran for over a year.

Now it is wise to replace the up-pipe with a catless one when running STG2 as there is a small chance the cat could fail and destroy your turbo. But there are lots of things that "could" fail or go wrong.

John

I'm a noob to the LGT, but have a hole shop full of WRX parts. Can I use a WRX UP on an 06 LGT? I think I have 3-4 of them around, that would be awesome if they interchange.

Yes you can use the WRX up-pipe on a Legacy, however unless you have removed the Cat (gutted it) it will be the exact same part as you are taking off the car. There would be no reason to swap them. If you have an after-market up-pipe for a WRX then it "should" fit OK, some after-market up-pipes for the WRX didnt fit the WRX very well so YMMV.

• 4 weeks later...
will the car run without dammage on stock tune with the Gutted UP/DP ( i know it will throw a CEL, but will it run? just curious

Yes, it'll fun just fine. Plus, you'll notice the nice differences in power and sound. You won't hurt a thing. However, you will throw that CEL.

For a while I tried those plug anti-fowler 'fixes' for the CEL, with varying success. Eventually, however, it was all fixed with the AP.

Looking back, I'm glad I went the route I did, gutting my pipes, modifying my mufflers, and so on. Eventually I got dyno tuned with that setup.... and went forward. But it was exciting times.

cool cause I want to gut stocks so it looks stock and if per chance the messed with it i could drive it until cobb could fix my AP so i could load a stgII map back on...

Yes, it'll fun just fine. Plus, you'll notice the nice differences in power and sound. You won't hurt a thing. However, you will throw that CEL.

For a while I tried those plug anti-fowler 'fixes' for the CEL, with varying success. Eventually, however, it was all fixed with the AP.

Looking back, I'm glad I went the route I did, gutting my pipes, modifying my mufflers, and so on. Eventually I got dyno tuned with that setup.... and went forward. But it was exciting times.

Archived