LegacyGT.com

Mazdaspeed Miata?

I'm not sure whether to get a standard Miata and turbo it. I don't know how rugged the stock engine, tranny etc. is.

My preference is to get the turbo'd Miata, assuming it has been beefed up, and then have Flyin' tune it from there. Nothing outrageous just quick.

Stock engine and tranny are pretty rugged! If you haven't found it already, try Miata.net for all the information you could EVER hope for! I'd also say that a used regular Miata (not the '06+ model) plus the aftermarket FI of your choice might be the more cost-effective way to get big power. The Miata doesn't really fit the "OEM-FI is better than Aftermarket-FI" mantra that is popular here - it does just fine with aftermarket FI. And actually, the pre-2001's are considered best for FI, since it's harder to get HP out of the 2001+ engines which have VVT and a higher compression ratio from the factory. A well-maintained '99 or '00 would be an excellent 'canvas' from which to create your masterpiece.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

What- no talk about the Monster Miata's that were all the rage back in the early 90's?

5.0 Pony power baby!:icon_bigg

(I too would love to have one as a weekend project car. Turbo'd of course. It'd be a heckuva lot more fun to carve Whistler in than an Integra, etc..)

Agree partially. Turbo-ing from scratch... pre 2001 1.8 liter.

OR, as you say, tuning up a Mazdaspeed. The mazdaspeed is low compression, and VVT, and everything already with a turbo installed from the factory. Three things improved, and it is a ready-to-go rocket.

Exhaust, just like the Legacy, will make a good difference.

Intercooler. stock FMIC is barely the size of a postage stamp.

Turbo. A pretty small unit, for low pressure. it only bumps it from ~145hp to 170-180hp... not much. an FM snail will do better, and produce much more power. Close to Legacy GT power in a 2400lb package. I just wonder what that would be like :D :D :D:)

With a crisp and light 6mt and clutch (LGT is having some trouble measuring up on this front to our miata's 5MT) and pure RWD, well balanced handling, and enough horsepower to really rock and roll, that would be an amazing ride. I can get our miata to be quick with 140hp. with Legacy GT kind of power, it would be a right little weapon.

But you do save some cash by not having to re-engineer intake and exhaust pathways, or modify the engine internals. Modding a Mazdaspeed will cost less than adding a FMII or FMIII kit to a non-turbo miata. It just depends on what you can find for a car to start with, and at what price.

depreciation flattens out on used Miatas, so a nice 1999-2000 and an avg mileage 04 MS miata might not be too drastically different in price. Older does get cheaper, but also more likely to be in rougher shape, especially interior and top-wise. chassis and engine stand up well for hundreds of thousands of miles, though.

I'd probably try to trade our classic red 99 Miata with preferred equipment package for a velocity red 04 MSM before trying to do everything it would take to turbo the car we have. nicer paint (ours is not clear coated), nicer interior (much better center console arrangement) bigger brakes, lower bilstein suspension, nicer wheels (although 17's look a little tall on NB miatas. 16s are the sweet spot), and a 6MT. four-element projector headlights and a more agressive front bumper design.

I tried to convince my wife that we should trade our 99 for an 04 MSM that was listed at the "rebuildable" yard with cosmetic rear damage about a month ago. she said one new red turbocharged car was enough for now. :D

Since FM claims good streetable power with their MSM bolt-ons (intake, downpipe, i/c, exhaust), I'd be tempted to go the MSM route. Especially since FM's turbos are in hiatus.

OTOH, there's the Fast Forward s/c....

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Oh yeah - I forgot about FM's little hiatus with their turbo kit offerings! I like the idea of that FF kit fot my '02 a lot, but it's probably not the right way to go if you want BIG power. BRPerformance is the other acclaimed SC option.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

• 2 weeks later...
FM is supposedly announcing their new kit today!
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Archived