LegacyGT.com

types of window tint

Parousia

So what types of window tint are the best.... I have been looking for a supplier and installer here in Vancouver but wanted to have a bit of info on hand first. So.... pls fill me in. BTW I will be keeping this car so the life of the film is very important. Parousia

Llumar is very good tint. They offer a lifetime tint which has, you guessed it, a lifetime warranty. Instead of dye coloring the film it uses metallic particles so there is nothing to fade or turn purple.

Do you know the actual name of the film you bought? The metallic film is high on my radar but I am unsure if it is going to be more mirrored than the tint I usually get? Has anyone tried the Solar Guard film? Parousia

There are many good brands for tint. Llumar is one, although not all their films are metallic. I believe that their lowest end films are dyed. Formula One is also one of the big guys in the industry, but their price is usually very high and it is supposed to come from the same actual manufacturer as Llumar. Metal content in tint can be a very good thing, as metal based tint films tend to be much more color stable than dyed films and will block more heat. The problem with our cars is that metallic films can interfere with the radio antenna that is intergral with the rear glass. Usually this is most apparent with AM reception, but FM reception can be affected too. I had this problem on my wife's Mazda6. The only solution is to go with a non-metallic tint. A dyed film wasn't acceptable to me, so that leaves the ceramic based films. The two biggest names are Huper Optik and Formula One's Pinnacle. Both will run about $400 installed. Pricy stuff, but color stable, block alot of heat and no radio interferance and no interferance with radar detectors. I opted for the new Suntek Carbon film, which does not block as much heat as the aforementioned true ceramic films, but is otherwise similar. Cost me about $175 installed, which for me was a more palatable sum.

[quote name='Boostjunkie']I opted for the new Suntek Carbon film, which does not block as much heat as the aforementioned true ceramic films, but is otherwise similar. Cost me about $175 installed, which for me was a more palatable sum.[/quote] Do they make it in a charcoal color? I don't think the standard black or grey would look good on my Regal Blue. I'm thinking a light (35%) charcoal all the way around. Oh, and how do you find an installer that carries it?

FYI, the Madico Onyx 20% film on my wagon did not seem to affect radio reception, AM or FM. It also didn't seem to have an impact the FM transmitter I'm using for my iPod. canis -- The Madico Onyx series is a neutral grey color. They also have a Charcol line too. [url]http://www.madico.com/Automotive.htm[/url] Ken

[quote name='Ken S']FYI, the Madico Onyx 20% film on my wagon did not seem to affect radio reception, AM or FM. It also didn't seem to have an impact the FM transmitter I'm using for my iPod. canis -- The Madico Onyx series is a neutral grey color. They also have a Charcol line too. [url]http://www.madico.com/Automotive.htm[/url] Ken[/quote]This tint looks very promising. Does anyone know a distributor in Canada for the Madico brand? Parousia

[quote name='canis'][quote name='Boostjunkie']I opted for the new Suntek Carbon film, which does not block as much heat as the aforementioned true ceramic films, but is otherwise similar. Cost me about $175 installed, which for me was a more palatable sum.[/quote] Do they make it in a charcoal color? I don't think the standard black or grey would look good on my Regal Blue. I'm thinking a light (35%) charcoal all the way around. Oh, and how do you find an installer that carries it?[/quote] Here's a pic of my car. It's 35% all the way around. As the name of the product implies it is a charcoal color, the pic actually makes it look darker as I took it at dusk: [img]http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/415000-415999/415436_51_full.jpg[/img] I think it would look great on a Regal Blue car.

I just did mine, 18% rear 38% front with HP Titanium by Solar-Gard Window Films, Lifetime Warranty Transferable. I have used this film on my last 5 cars for about 7 years now and its awesome. Dan.

What a coinkydink... I just bought Solar Guard Quantum 19 for the rear 3 windows and 28 for the front 4. All metalized lifetime warranty etc. sounds great will include pics on Tuesday when it is installed. Parousia

Parousia: I live in Vancouver too, can you PM me what company did the fronts for you? As you know its illegal here and some shops won't do it for me, I have been looking as well to see who and where I can find good tint here. Also if you can give me an approx cost to do five windows have you looked into huper optik? ceramic tints? if so do you knwo where I can find them here in BC? TIA

I have an independant installer who is doing my wagon on Tuesday. I bought the film from the wholesaler, I opened an account. The more exotic tints are hard to find here so I just went with an all metalized tint. The installer is charging me between 200-250 for 7 windows. Parousia

Thanks for the compliment sp! I had the tint done at a shop called Eclipse Solar Control Products in Valencia. The guy who runs the shop is named Bobby. Nice guy to deal with. I'm pretty anal so I could find a couple very minor flaws in the job, but I would still definately recommend him.

Archived