LegacyGT.com

WTF were Subaru thinking: wagon rear wiper

Scotty

I 3rd (4th?) the 3/36k - I just got both my front wipers replaced today under warranty. The caveat is that you can only have them replaced once under warranty, or so the dealer says. I have 20,5xx for the record.

-Ryan

^^ That's BS, too. You get it replaced every time it needs to be replaced.

EDIT: not that stock wipers are worth anything. They are crap. I have aftermarket in front, haven't figured out replacement for the rear.

I got the PIAA on in the back, but it is a PITA since it can only go on in one direction.

I think the rear wiper install was on Nabisco with a Impreza. Imported everything including the glass. Way too much money in the end.

There is no such thing as 1y/12k warranty on our cars for any parts. Anything that's warranted it's at least 3y/36k.

funny... I got the same 12 month thing on interior and cosmetic parts schpeel... and I voiced my dismay at "bumper to bumper" being somewhat shorter than the length of the car...

seriously... glass polish (rubbing compound) and sealant (aquapel) is one thing... drilling the glass, and messing around with that kind of stuff is getting a little crazy.

I do wish it was available here on the sedan, though. so many cost cuts on the USDM car...

for the rear wiper on the wagon... would a 15" blade and wiper insert fit under the wagon's rear spoiler? half an inch on the top, half an inch on the bottom.... I just wonder if there is a 15" blade that would fit from another new car. a lot of SUVs and things seem to have those new rigid rear wiper blades. Maybe one would fit?

for the rear wiper on the wagon... would a 15" blade and wiper insert fit under the wagon's rear spoiler?

Proprietary wiper assembly. Can't replace the entire wiper. Can't use a wiper insert that has a built in locking mechanism. Either buy OEM or chop one down.

Well, try this. For some reason in my areas all the auto-parts stores only stock blades with wiper arms. My gut tells me OEM wiper arms are still better.

Long story short, a local chain advertised wiper blades, all sizes. They lied.

What they did have were blades that you can cut to length. The Subaru dealer is at the other end of town, a 30 minute drive with traffic.

So, this was for the front, I cut to size. So far so good. My gut tells me they will last 6 - 9 months. I'll see if they can stand up to ice and snow but, this is just the rear window for you.

• 3 months later...
You need to squeeze one end of the blades to close in the lock. It's got a lock on one side and once it's squeezed it should just slide out. Gotta go slow or you'll brake the holders along the way. I just replaced mine with dealer issued wiper replacements and decided to go with Rain-X blades. They have seemed to work a bit better than the stock replacements. Maybe your experience will be different.

You need to squeeze one end of the blades to close in the lock. It's got a lock on one side and once it's squeezed it should just slide out. Gotta go slow or you'll brake the holders along the way. I just replaced mine with dealer issued wiper replacements and decided to go with Rain-X blades. They have seemed to work a bit better than the stock replacements. Maybe your experience will be different.

so you did get aftermarket blades? how did you get them to fit?

• 2 weeks later...

Are these the little shiny metal locks used on most replacement wiper inserts? Why not buy the appropriate width insert and cut an inch off of the length?

Archived