LegacyGT.com

Poll: 07 LGT spec.B vs 07 STI LTD

EarlQHan

07 Legacy GT spec.B vs. 07 Impreza WRX STI LTD.  

84 members have voted

1. 1. 07 Legacy GT spec.B vs. 07 Impreza WRX STI LTD.

• spec.B
    • LTD

I went to a dealership today and took a look at both cars today. In fact, they were right next to each other on the lot. Wow. I was impressed by both cars. For whatever reasons, you guys chose the Legacy GT over the WRX STI. However, the Impreza got more subtle and Subaru rid of the massive wing, added heated leather, moonroof, and black Brembos, while the Legacy got more "ricey" with the blue alcantara inserts.

Right now, I'm 22 and still in school, so I like my STi right now. If I were 5 years older, out of school and working in a corporate setting, I think I'd take the the LTD and if I were 10 years older, possibly married, I'd take the spec.B. What about you guys?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know, I took a look at the sti and I just felt that the rear end was missing something, it is probally just me, but I think that it needed something a little more substantial on the trunk lid. I haven't looked at the spec b, my dealier didn't get an allocation and can only order one, they have the sti only because someone ordered it and then backed out. But they have a GT on the lot and I really liked it. I have always liked the legacy over the impreza, it just fits me better. I am 29 now and I have had a legacy based car since I was 20. So I think it is in my bloud now.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Haha, well for the last three generations of Legacys, my family has owned one. '96 Legacy L, '00 Legacy Outback sedan and '05 Legacy 2.5GT. It's like clockwork really, as soon as the car is paid off, my dad trades it in for the current generation. The reason I fell in love with Subarus and STis (22B in particular) from an early age is because of the Legacy. However, I'm still relatively young and wanted a STi since '99, before I even had a license and even before we got the WRXs stateside. So I guess I'm still holding on to my "dream car". However, when I get older, the Legacy is exactly what I want in a car. Stylish and sporty, but still sensible. Well, at least for a daily driver, currently, the Saturn Sky Redline is what I'd love to have as a weekend cruiser ;] Unless of course, I become a multimillionare...

If I was to get an Impreza STi, it would have to be WRB with a huge wing, that's what the car is all about, seems crazy to try and soften it.

Anyone wanting something more sophisticated should be steered towards a 300 hp Legacy.

Why I'm so lucky. I get to have my fun in my WRB/gold STi. And when I'm home and my dad isn't going out, I get to drive his OBP/silver :D

Both are nice cars. However in this case, I look for touring capability. Besides, because of my age, if I had a WRX anywhere but on the track I'd look like a dork.

You are Subaru's dream customer. You were brought up in and maybe even concieved in a Subaru. You love the line and are loyal. You are the legacy.:icon_chee

Right now, I'm 22 and still in school, so I like my STi right now. If I were 5 years older, out of school and working in a corporate setting, I think I'd take the the LTD and if I were 10 years older, possibly married, I'd take the spec.B. What about you guys?

Lets see - aged 22, an Sti - aged 27, an LTD - aged 32, a Spec B.

I guess if I follow this logic I should be driving a horse and buggy!

PhilT - Haha, I've been telling him. He's only interested in mods that don't affect NVH and driveability :p And he won't be faster than me if I have something to say about it (think GT30R). However, I've been telling him to buy my intake mani, turbo and tmic so I can go full rotated (intake mani and turbo) and he can up the performance without having to sacrifice comfort ;] Unfortunately, I'm currently too broke to get a GT30R and in the meantime, I don't think he'll ever have a spec.B either. He drives a LOT (30000 miles in a week), so he doesn't want a MT for daily driving.

Vimy101 - I've jokingly asked my dad to trade cars so I could ride in comfort and style. Then he just laughed in my face. He just turned 50 the other day and said he wouldn't be caught dead in my car. He sees the STi as young person's car, he knows it has teenage appeal, but figures most owners to people on their first job out of college. Haha, I don't think I was conceived in a Subaru, at least not that I know of. I think my dad had a VW Rabbit or Chevy Beretta back then. :p

Edkwon - Well, the 06 spec.B was an even more limited production. I don't think the comparison is that off. It's just to see where people would like to compromise: style/comfort vs performance/image. I think the STI LTD and LGT spec.B are very close in comparison. The STI is a sport compact sedan and the LTD is supposed to aim at older buyers, while the LGT is a luxury spord sedan and the spec.B is aimed at what seems like younger buyers.

although if i were to get an sti, i'd want the lmtd vs the regular. i just detest the riceboy look. i still love my LGT and the look of it. it's just classy and sleek, more refined imo.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

lol, I don't think the STi looks TOO ricey. Granted it's got a huge wing, front canards, hood scoop, and 06/07s have a rear diffuser and upper spoiler, they all serve a purpose. I have seen wind tunnel tests and they all have an aerodynamic function. So as a performance oriented driver, I don't mind the look, however, as a comfort oriented driver, I detest the wing. It just kills rearward visibility, which is why I want a S203 wing. I am actually looking into getting aero parts that make the car look a bit more subtle, but help promote more downforce :] And as ricey as this car looks, I don't think it is ricey one bit ;]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/rLAspecS14/240661.jpg

And as ricey as this car is, I think it looks incredible.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/rLAspecS14/hyper00210ne-1.jpg

I think ultimately you are asking the right question to the wrong crowd. We are a little older, a little more securefinancially , a little more mature, a little more toned down, a little more subdued - to ultimately choose a sleeper GT-spec B over a ricey STi LTD. I think your answer will depend on demographics. Ask this on NASIOC and they will vote for the STi. Ask this on any other auto forums...and the answer will depend on the demographics.

Hey guys. I must say , I work at a subaru dealership, and I have to look at these awesome cars all day long. And if it werent for having to swap cars with the wife now & then for getting them serviced I would buy the sti limited in a heartbeat.

I think ultimately you are asking the right question to the wrong crowd. We are a little older, a little more securefinancially , a little more mature, a little more toned down, a little more subdued - to ultimately choose a sleeper GT-spec B over a ricey STi LTD. I think your answer will depend on demographics. Ask this on NASIOC and they will vote for the STi. Ask this on any other auto forums...and the answer will depend on the demographics.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

I've given a lot of thought to the STI vs. Spec B (or GT) debate and chose the Spec B due to the fact that it is a sleeper, has more room for friends/family and is a hell of a lot cheaper on insurance than a STI.

However, the Mrs. knew that if the Spec B that was in the showroom was sold, I would have taken a STI if it could be delivered sooner than another Spec B.

STI = boy racer

Spec B or GT = sophistication

Both cars are great and both serve different but similar purposes yet both are easily tunable to raise hell on the world; I'd rather do it in cognito via the Spec B and be able to blend back into the real world rather than have everyone notice the STI -- this includes police.

Plus, if cost is a concern, the Spec B spanks the STI. We do not have the Limited STI up here but for $4-5K CDN more, I can have a STI instead of a Spec B and the only "bonuses" the STI offers is a goofy wing, xenons, DCCD and Brembos. But, at the end of the day, will I need the wing? Nope, it would be swapped for a WRX spoiler. Xenons? Nope. In-laws have a '06 Outback and its lights work remarkably well on back roads. DCCD? Nope, just another gadget to go wrong. Brembos? Not really, ideal for track but not needed for daily driving; will/can be added later to the Spec B. Add cheaper insurance and fewer tickets from prejudicial cops and the Spec B is FTW.

I hear ya all the way.. Thats why im currently driving an 06 legacy (automatic I might add) not too happy about that part. But every now and then I take my grandcherokee with the hemi from the wife when I feel the need for power. By the way you mention the brembos. Do you know if the 06 impreza 4 pots will fit the legacy , for a cheaper alternative over the brembos?

While awkward in pics, the STi Limited looks really mean in person from the front. If I thought it would be significantly quieter than the '06 STI I got rid of after a short spell I'd seriously consider it. While I think my '06 Spec B is a nice car, it really doesn't inspire any passion like when I look at the LTD.

At least looking at the LTD in the showroom it impressed me Interior and Exterior but I would miss my NAV.

Hmmm, 30,000 miles a week is alot, works out to 178 mph, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Are you sure he drives a LGT and not a 747 ?

Haha, sorry, I meant a year!

I don't believe the DCCD is "another thing to go wrong". It's not new technology, Subaru has had them in STIs for the last 3-4 generations. It is unbelievable helpful to be able to lock-up the center diff in the snow.

About the spec.B vs. LTD I understand why people choose the spec.B. Like I said, if I were older, I would pick the spec.B too. However, all I'm saying is, I don't believe the new LTDs are as bad as the "base" STI; the only thing that carries over is the hood scoop. The one thing I didn't like about the spec.B is the chromy strips on the side skirts, but other than that... :wub:

About the Legacy picture I posted, I don't believe it is a tuned by STI. It's a Japanese tuning company's car. Emotion F-something.

F1 nails this one. We are a more seasoned crowd and have to balance more priorities. The Legacy is as someone once quoted "A ninja in a business suit" meaning that more conservative/mature look outside, but the ability to still put the grin pedal down on the inside.

About the spec.B vs. LTD I understand why people choose the spec.B. Like I said, if I were older, I would pick the spec.B too.

Even if I were 16 again, I'd pick the Spec.B. The type of car I favour hasn't changed much from infancy: touring FTW. I liked BMWs back in the mid 70s when only a handful of people knew what they were. The Bavarian was a great car.

Do you know if the 06 impreza 4 pots will fit the legacy , for a cheaper alternative over the brembos?

Bad idea, if you do that youre downsizing the rotors to WRX size which means less braking surface, or you install impreza 4 pots which inadequately cover the LGT rotors and same thing, inadequate braking power.

Ed

Archived