LegacyGT.com

Police interceptor

We just deliverd the first three Hemi Charger police interceptor's to the North Providence police.

Here is what is cool. It has a unique air intake and exhaust system. The suspension and brakes look like it's straight from an SRT8. The interior is, well, stark but roomy.

The car handles incredible. Plus it seems slightly quicker than a standard 5.7. Probably more due to the axle ratio than the ten extra ponies.

I took one on the highway, it has all the lights but no paint job yet. I came up on a WRX cruising 85+. I flipped on the alley lights and the WRX driver was shitting her pants. :lol: She slowed rather quickly. I couldn't resist.

sounds cool, like the car but not the price

oh and:

:needpics:

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

NOT COOL!

I mean the cars are cool, but I could spot an unmarked crown vic a mile away or just by it's headlights in the rear view mirror.

Well yeah but you also have to look out for Impalas, and down in GA they were using intrepids as well.. Just gotta learn some new light patterns

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

We just deliverd the first three Hemi Charger police interceptor's to the North Providence police.

Here is what is cool. It has a unique air intake and exhaust system. The suspension and brakes look like it's straight from an SRT8. The interior is, well, stark but roomy.

The car handles incredible. Plus it seems slightly quicker than a standard 5.7. Probably more due to the axle ratio than the ten extra ponies.

I took on on the highway, it has all the lights but no paint job yet. I came up on a WRX cruising 85+. I flipped on the alley lights and the WRX driver was shitting her pants. :lol: She slowed rather quickly. I couldn't resist.

Any other city/towns around here getting them/already get them?

And, what dealership do you work for? Bald Hill?

Right now East Greenwich, Charlestown, and the state police are taking bids.

Yes, I work for Bald Hill. We bid, then order. Once they are shipped here we prep them, beat the crap out of them, and then the cops get them.

One thing I did not like. The factory center console is removed and this metal tray is installed in its place. So now, there is no center arm rest. I took a hard left turn and almost fell into the passenger seat! The front seats need armrests like in a minivan. I'm sure there will be a couple totaled by overzealous cops winding the piss out of that Hemi. North Prov police wants us to set the stability control switch inside the dash so the cops cant turn it off. I told them no-can-do.

Interesting too is the front seats are cloth buckets, and the back is vinyl. Probably for clean up purposes.

http://www.copcarsforsale.com/STK%2006153.htm

Most departments can't afford the $30k cost (new) for a patrol car. State agencies obviously have the funding, and those with interstates to patrol will certainly make use of the extra HP.

And I do believe it's the first car I've ever seen that has 18 inch wheel covers! They do look pretty realistic though.

I wonder if Ford is going to finally update the crown vic now that they have some competition.

I wouldnt be suprised if we didnt start seeing Chargers being used as cabs soon too

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

The Delaware State Police are using Chargers and there are a lot of Durangos around here (Northern Delaware) as well. It sucks... I have such a sensitivity to Crown Vics and now I have to recalibrate my "cop vision" to acquire Chargers and Durangos. The Chargers might be V6 models. It seems that they have black steel wheels with silver center caps.

I wouldnt be suprised if we didnt start seeing Chargers being used as cabs soon too

I would think that 300, 300C, and it's long wheelbase variant would be the natural choice for cab companies and car services.

Ford and GM do need to come to the plate with a quality large car platform. Cadillac DTS is too expensive for all but the town car and limo crowd. Crown Vic may as well be called Crownvicosaurus.

I wonder if Ford is going to finally update the crown vic now that they have some competition.

No - they've already killed the car by not revising it and by actually removing features it once had. People at the plant are being laid off and the Crown Vic / Grand Marquis will be canceled along with the Lincoln Town Car (already axed). There have been commercials recently that feature "all" Ford or Mercury vehicles; the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis have been noticably absent from these advertisements.

All of this just as the other domestic manufacturers are moving back to v8 / rwd as their future. Ford wants people to buy the 500 sedan instead, with all of its 202 horsepower. Yay.

It's bad when the best "large sedan" is made by Hyundai. The Azera has two inches more front leg room than a Crown Vic and the Charger - that's a lot. I know there's more rear legroom than measurement alone because my size 15's barely fit in the Grand Marquis yet I have plenty of room in the Hyundai. The 263hp, 5spd auto is good for 99 mph traps - right next to a Hemi. When Hyundai comes to the US with their RWD v8 luxury sedan, it's gonna get interesting.

A couple Charger interceptors showed up at the 1/4 mile track out here. 2 Sheriff cars from Golden, CO I think. They definitely looked mean, and were running about 16.0@90+mph.

Not too bad considering the light bar and all that equipment, AND for being over 6000ft high (so figure about 20% short of their sea-level horsepower)

I definitely need to "learn" the headlights!!

Guest JessterCPA

In NYC, I see them moving to the Honda Minivan for cabs. I have seen a few random Lexus RX400h's as cabs also. Thought that was interesting.

Jesse

Archived