LegacyGT.com

Need some information about turbo

danz

I'm currently comparing between the legacy Gt and the SE. I wanted the limited model but it does not come with a M/T so I'm limited to 2 options. I have an 03OBW 4cyl and am pleased with it. I do most of my own maintenance so i'm quite familiar with the small stuff and how to keep it in good shape.

The turbo is new ground for me. I've never owned a car with a turbo before and am wondering about the reliability, resale value, maintenance costs etc. The first difference is that the GT takes premium gas but I figured that buying the GT is not really about being the most economical anyway! Does a turbe require special care, handling? Do you have to drive it more agressive than compared to a regular car? Is there any difference in the 60k, 90k maintenance costs?

I was comparing the 07 Legacy SE to the 07 honda accord EX which good points are that it holds the resale value well and has more advanced eletronics. However, I prefer a subie because it's more fun to drive and is good for all weather (I live in the NW) and I'm currently leaning more towards the GT. I would like to keep the car for as long as possible and therefore am concerned with the long term costs.

Any opinions?

I just recently got a 2005 Legacy GT Wagon and had driven a Volvo 850 Turbo Wagon for several years. I had some maintenance issues with the Volvo, but not with the turbo. I've heard similar very good things about the Subaru turbo, that it's just not a problem. I also was interested in a Honda Accord V6 but found the LGT just so much more fun to drive especially on windy roads. Also, the LGT offers a wagon.

There's no more scheduled maintenance for the LGT than the non-turbo one, and no special driving technique required. It's fine and very smooth for non-agressive driving and a lot of fun for agressive driving.

I would recommend the suby either way you go with the Nowthwest winters, you never know what you are going to get. AWD Boxer FTW :D. I have owned a 85 RX sedan which was turbo charged and had 250K on it and still had origonal motor/turbo. Not a single issue. I also had a 04 Baja T and no turbo issues and none so far on my 06 LGT. I know some people with GL-10 turbos still to this day and have never had anything wrong with the turbo.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

I'm actually looking strictly at sedans since we have a 03OBW already.

My first choice was actually a Legacy Limited M/T but they're not offering it this year in the M/T which is why I'm comparing the Legacy SE to the Legacy GT Limited of which both are offered in the M/T. The cost conscious side of says SE but the dark side of me chants...GT, GT, GT....:icon_bigg

Cost difference the two is probably $7k which is why it's making me think a lot more why I NEED the GT.

Unless you're shopping wagons only, you most certainly can get the GT limited with the 5MT.

I thnk he means the 07 2.5 SE, not the GT. I believe the SE limited only comes in Auto.

But get the Turbo man, it is the most fun, and they way it uses up gas is incredible! :icon_bigg Just have a piggy bank for gas runs.

X

---

I'm currently comparing between the legacy Gt and the SE. I wanted the limited model but it does not come with a M/T so I'm limited to 2 options. I have an 03OBW 4cyl and am pleased with it. I do most of my own maintenance so i'm quite familiar with the small stuff and how to keep it in good shape.

The turbo is new ground for me. I've never owned a car with a turbo before and am wondering about the reliability, resale value, maintenance costs etc. The first difference is that the GT takes premium gas but I figured that buying the GT is not really about being the most economical anyway! Does a turbe require special care, handling? Do you have to drive it more agressive than compared to a regular car? Is there any difference in the 60k, 90k maintenance costs?

I was comparing the 07 Legacy SE to the 07 honda accord EX which good points are that it holds the resale value well and has more advanced eletronics. However, I prefer a subie because it's more fun to drive and is good for all weather (I live in the NW) and I'm currently leaning more towards the GT. I would like to keep the car for as long as possible and therefore am concerned with the long term costs.

Any opinions?

I think resale will be HIGHER on a turbo then an NA car

should be just as reliable

Any opinions?

Yup. I just came out of an Accord EX to an 06 Legacy GT. Here's my take.

The Accord was a "nice" car, kind of like a "nice" girl. It was realiable, dependable, and looked OK. It served me well for many years. It also looked like every other Accord on the road. Sometimes I could be a light and see my car next to me or in a line of Accords.

The Legacy GT is in a whole other league. It is an agressive car, but doesn't look it, described as a "sleeper". I don't see many of them on the road, so I don't feel like the herd. It handles far more nimble than the Accord. I've had zero problems in 5,000 miles. It is a damn fun car to drive, a smile on my face every time I drive it. More like dating a "hot chick".:wub:

The turbo doesn't require anything special in terms of maintenance. That being said, it is another moving part which introduces another failure path (from a risk analysis standpoint). Total ownership costs may be higher to replace a failed turbo at some point.

Gas mileage, well you will pay the price with a turbo. Turbo pushes more air into the engine to yield higher compression. It is all about fuel/air ratio. Air volume goes up so does fuel.

For city driving my Accord got about 25 on Regular, my LGT about 20 Premium. For highway driving, it is almost a wash. The Accord just didn't get much better on the highway probably 28, but my LGT will go up to 25.5 ish.

Take a hard (mathematical) look at how much you drive. My annual miles on my Accord was 7,200 miles, I have a 5 miles commute to work. I did the math and realized that the depreciation costs swamp out fuel. I was worried about the wrong thing.

On depreciation, Subaru's will depreciate much faster than Hondas for about the first 5 years, then it will start to equilabrate. Supply-demand. Subaru is a niche vehicle with a following, cult sort of.

After a long line of Honda's that I've owned, Prelude, CRX Si, Accord EX, I have to say I've found a new home with Subaru. I now have TWO.

Either way you will end up with a nice car, but I guarantee if you fall for the LGT you'll have a big damn grin on your face when you wind up the Boxer at a light and let it go.

Be well.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

Thanks for all the information everyone. ZinFreak, you're right on with your description of both the Honda EX and the LGT. i have tested the SE but am waiting for the dealer to bring in a LGT in M/T. I was surprised that they carry more A/Ts than M/Ts but I guess A/Ts are still more popular.

Does anyone know if the front calliper for the LGT is a double piston like the outback? I couldn't find that info anywhere.

Although i have not test driven the LGT, we got to sit in one and my wife commented that the LGT has more comfortable seats and more nice features. The key selling point of the SE seems to be the power sunroof but it's not for us. I would rather have the SE or LGT without a sunroof.

Anyway, I'll probably get the test the LGT in M/T this weekend. Will update more later.

Thanks.

I'm trying to find out what the setback is for the Seattle area. I looked up edmunds.com and priced the 07 LGT with the automatic mirror and security system package. The invoice came up to $27,261 and the TMV is 28, 367. Edmunds.com says regional adjustment is -$9 and color adjustment is -$97.

I'm trying to calculate the price I should try to get the car for.

Seattle + Subaru = love

When I moved down here to CA from seattle I would have been able to get at least 1k more when I sold my 90 legacy L FWD if I sold it in the seattle area. They are extreamly popular and hold their value a lot better. You really can't go wrong with a subaru in the northwest.

I think that Edmunds.com uses the general national pricing and then uses the adjustments for the regonal pricing. But I am no expert.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Ok, dealer is offering me the LGT in Diamond Grey for ~$27K. I'm hearing that there are not many diamond grey ones or even LGTs in M/T in the northwest. And most of them come with the spoiler as a factory option so if I wanted one without, it's $300 less but i've got to wait about 45 days.

What do you guys think of this price?

Ok, dealer is offering me the LGT in Diamond Grey for ~$27K. I'm hearing that there are not many diamond grey ones or even LGTs in M/T in the northwest. And most of them come with the spoiler as a factory option so if I wanted one without, it's $300 less but i've got to wait about 45 days.

What do you guys think of this price?

Sounds really good with the spoiler, that's right around invoice or a bit less.

Make it yours.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

Archived