LegacyGT.com

Winter tire choice?

SuperhawkLGT

My wife is on her second set of Contis and I have WRs on my LGT. I can vouch for both....and our winters can be as bad as anywhere.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

I'll be trying the Kuhmo I'ZEN XW KW17 this winter. Emphasis on wet and cold dry performance, V speed rating, but enough snow ability to still earn the "severe snow" symbol. Close-out pricing as Kuhmo is exiting the U.S. snow tire market: 225/45-17 V91 BSW $79 from buywheelstoday.com.

http://buywheelstoday.com/images_products/1837.jpg

PDF Brochure

Here's sundry test data, although I think the real-world reviews at http://www.snowtire.info are more helpful, usually.

The latest CR test is included as hpsnow.

The ADAC tests are from 04 and 05. Lower scores are better. Some of the tires tested are not sold here, or have different designations, or are different versions.

Trocken = Dry

NaS = Wet

Schnee = Snow

Eis = Ice

Gerausch = Noise

Rollwiederstand = Rolling Resistance

Verschleiss = Wear

ADAC also tested inexpensive winter tires. The only one I sas that was sold here was the Viking WinterForce. It did well on snow, pretty well on ice, but was noisy, stopped very poorly on wet roads, and wore fairly fast.

ADACsn04.thumb.jpg.98889c6ef5d0a73cb29d671a9802847a.jpg

ADACsn05.jpg.e8944df07c1e5b698345e9919ebe03ef.jpg

hpsnowcr06.jpg.18d1e7946fec73a0634e5d99ae1e825a.jpg

crsnow.jpg.3d1bb5f9bb9fdb552ff50b0a7fe07148.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I was going to get Dunlop M3s for my SpecB. but it looks like the LM-25s faired better in both test. Does anyone know if the Goodyear GW3 come in 215/45 R17?

Here's sundry test data, although I think the real-world reviews at www.snowtire.info are more helpful, usually.

The latest CR test is included as hpsnow.

The ADAC tests are from 04 and 05. Lower scores are better. Some of the tires tested are not sold here, or have different designations, or are different versions.

Trocken = Dry

NaS = Wet

Schnee = Snow

Eis = Ice

Gerausch = Noise

Rollwiederstand = Rolling Resistance

Verschleiss = Wear

ADAC also tested inexpensive winter tires. The only one I sas that was sold here was the Viking WinterForce. It did well on snow, pretty well on ice, but was noisy, stopped very poorly on wet roads, and wore fairly fast.

I was going to get Dunlop M3s for my SpecB. but it looks like the LM-25s faired better in both test. Does anyone know if the Goodyear GW3 come in 215/45 R17?

225/45r17

225/50r17

225/55r17.

http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyeartireselector/results_tire.jsp?mrktarea=Winter

Nokian RSI is available in 215/45r17.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I picked Hankook ICEBEAR W300 225-45-VR17.

Thier .40" taller & .20" wider then the 215-45-ZR17 stockers. And I notice about a 200-250 rpm drop at 60 mph. Right now @ 60 mph my tack reads 2500 rpm in 5th gear. So far like the dry handling. I have pics below, and yes my GT is very dirty.

[/url]

How are you reading mph?

How are you reading mph?

By looking at the speedo:icon_bigg . Stock tires are 24.6" O.D. the tack ran around the middle of 2500 & 3000 rpm marks.[about 2750 rpm].

Now with the Hankooks, witch is a 25.0" O.D. the speedo is right on 2500 rpms. When going up or down in tire Dim. the only thing that's not going to change is your engine speed. What will change is your mph related to you rpm. I have to find a radar sign that tells you how fast your going. Stock tires, radar said, "47 mph" GT said "50 mph." I'm thinking the speedo should be right on now. Will up-date when I can confirm.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

I'm just telling you what I see. And I was talking about the RPM of the motor not the wheels. For EX. 2500 [engine] RPM's is 2500 RPM's no matter what tire size your running. The tire size will change you final drive ratio. Witch will change you MPH relationship to your motor's RPM. That's why different size tires will throw your speedo off.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Most tire manufacturers list revolutions per mile @ 60 mph in their tire specs.

For 225/45r17 Bridgeston RE92's it's 837 rpm.

For the Icebear it's 818.

So your actual speed is now 2.3% higher at 60 mph indicated then with the stock tires. Most speedos read a bit low from the factory, so you may not actually be going 61.4 mph at 60 indicated.

Find a friend with a hand-held GPS, many of which read speed to .1 mph.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Archived