LegacyGT.com

Winter tire choice?

SuperhawkLGT

Not going to spend a fortune, just looking for better than the RE92's

this

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?cf=false&sw=true&cs=205&pc=26552&rd=17&ar=50

or this

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?cf=false&sw=true&cs=205&pc=11708&rd=17&ar=50

Very close in price, H rated vs V rated, I've already had the Conti's on my WRX, no complaints, felt good in the dry, any opinions?

this

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?cf=false&sw=true&cs=205&pc=26552&rd=17&ar=50

or this

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?cf=false&sw=true&cs=205&pc=11708&rd=17&ar=50

Very close in price, H rated vs V rated, I've already had the Conti's on my WRX, no complaints, felt good in the dry, any opinions?

I just bought Nordfrost 5 from Gislaved also part of Conti's family.

Very similar to the Nokian 4, but a lot cheaper.

The viking have a weak side wall if I remember correctly.

you should try Kumho Ecsta ASX

Not for winter. NO way.

This is not that great a tire, regardless of how many people like them. Remember what a POS tire you replaced with that Kumho. You still have an average performer on your wheels. You shouldn't recommend them to people who don't specifically ask for a cheap tire.

this

or this

IIRC, the Icebear is supposed to be pretty good.

But why don't you check out the michelin X-ice (a snow), and the nokian - either the WR or the RSI - although they have harder core snows if you want them.

I just bought Nordfrost 5 from Gislaved also part of Conti's family.

Very similar to the Nokian 4, but a lot cheaper.

The viking have a weak side wall if I remember correctly.

The Viking are not the best on snow/ice but offer excellent dry/wet/noise performance over the other performance winter tires according to Consumer Reports article I read in recent issue.

I'm not looking for the best on snow/ice, just better than Re92's. Majority of driving will be on dry/wet roads. We get about 20-30 snowy days average, next days roads are usually clear. I liked the dry performance of the Conti's, did a 2k mi road trip to TN 2 yrs ago with them, started off in a snowstorm which didn't clear till PA, roads were snow/slush till then and I didn't lose much time, probably had an average speed of 50mph until thr roads cleared, never felt our of control. My major motivater is price and these are a good deal.

I'm not looking for the best on snow/ice, just better than Re92's. Majority of driving will be on dry/wet roads. We get about 20-30 snowy days average, next days roads are usually clear. I liked the dry performance of the Conti's, did a 2k mi road trip to TN 2 yrs ago with them, started off in a snowstorm which didn't clear till PA, roads were snow/slush till then and I didn't lose much time, probably had an average speed of 50mph until thr roads cleared, never felt our of control. My major motivater is price and these are a good deal.

What size?

215 45 17 or 205 50 17. The post above I was running 205 55 16's on my rex.

Your driving conditions appear similar to mine. In our case, going with an aggressive A/S on OEM or narrower will be fine. Those who want to run wider tires in similar conditions might want to look at a snow tire with a bias towards dry performance.

When I first got the ContiEx, I had them at 40f/37. Not too good. Squishy. Bumped them up to 42f/40. Much, much better.

IMHO Conti/Viking. The IceBears don't seem to do that well on the European tests. Central Europe has driving conditions pretty similar to MA, and Worcester gets more than many other locations.

I think I'd check locally first, though. With shipping and mounting Tirerack doesn't always save you anything - although it is convenient. I like them if I'm buying mounted sets, but not just for tires unless they're rare. We didn't pay much over $100 a tire mounted for Michelin X-Ice, although they were 16".

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Thats not tire rack that is tires.com, free shipping FTW! I really haven't seen those tires for sale anywhere else, but I could make some calls.

Trip to TN.

$89 for a 17" snow, delivered, will be tough to beat. That's $150-200 less than Nokians. They don't have a great reputation in snow but apparently handle pretty well in dry.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

$114 each and Q rated. :(

Yeah, you seem to want a performance winter, not a snow. Doesn't seem to be much in the way of good rubber near $100 on tirerack, but the two you suggest seem at least to be worth considering. I would lean toward the conti 810 or whatever it is; I like the ride quality that contis give, but their performance can vary from tire to tire - i.e., the original sportcontact kinda sucks, but the -2 and -3 are very very good, performance wise.

no issues with running a 205/50/17 on stock wheels....makes me think i might buy some snow only tires

That's my plan, but where you are, is that really the right choice? You don't get a lot of snow there, do you? I guess ice is a big problem there - I might go for a good ice tire, but you really may want to consider a performance winter. A good snow tire can be really annoying in the dry - they are squishy tires and will have awful feel in the dry.

Do you get a lot of snow?

Yeah, you seem to want a performance winter, not a snow. Doesn't seem to be much in the way of good rubber near $100 on tirerack, but the two you suggest seem at least to be worth considering. I would lean toward the conti 810 or whatever it is; I like the ride quality that contis give, but their performance can vary from tire to tire - i.e., the original sportcontact kinda sucks, but the -2 and -3 are very very good, performance wise.

Pretty much, I don't think a dedicated snow is necessary, where as we have snow one day and then it is usually cleaned up the next, except for the road I live on of course :icon_mad:.

Pretty much, I don't think a dedicated snow is necessary, where as we have snow one day and then it is usually cleaned up the next, except for the road I live on of course :icon_mad:.

same here, and if its any worse than this, we have a 2004 pathinder 4x4:icon_mrgr

I will put a big recomendation for the Dunlop M3's from out here on the west coast...Ran them all last winter in 225/45/17 on my stock wheels with great success...they ran wicked in rain/snow and ice as well as dry...didn't skip a beat and they far exceeded the Re92's on the dry. Hated to take them off in the spring...

Just an example of the Suby plowing capabilities...had to get to the hill the night before a big powder day in Whistler BC...and couldn't wait for the plows to finish...suby didn't miss a beat...although it got a bit tough to see in the subdivisions as the snow was coming over the hood...made it tough to see mostly!

Good luck!

J

568959286_WinterDriving.._056.jpg.bc70cdb6db3a2edca162b3d778432940.jpg

109447145_WinterDriving.._047.jpg.924c20143e08c18f544da266b9c88dc0.jpg

Superhawk, Did you see the Nokian WR set someone had for sale in the classifieds (good deal!)? They're a great tire from what I hear if you want good snow capabilities with solid dry capability. I just put on a pair so can only talk dry so far--do very well (not a summer racer of course, but solid performance in the dry)--can't wait for a big snow.

Archived