LegacyGT.com

Check your pressure...

Guest jpkad

Decided, just for the hell of it, to check the tire pressure on my LGT. Subaru suggests 35 PSI in the front and 33 in the rear. Unfortunately about all four tires were somewhere between 25-28 PSI. I've only had the car for two weeks, you'd figure it'd come from the dealer with the correct tire pressure. I loaded them up to the Subaru specified PSI and it seems to handle a bit better than before. This erases a little bit of my dissapointment with the RE92s.

[quote name='Cascade-LGT']I've never received a new vehicle with the proper tire pressure - totally amazing. Such a simple item to neglect. Try taking the pressure up to 37 front and 35 rear. The Bridgestones seem to do better with more pressure.[/quote] I agree.

[quote name='jkadilak']......Unfortunately about all four tires were somewhere between 25-28 PSI. I've only had the car for two weeks, you'd figure it'd come from the dealer with the correct tire pressure.......[/quote] Makes you wonder if they do anything other than pull off the plastic and wash the car. I always double check the basics on a new vehicle. This means checking, in addtion to tire pressures, all fluid levels (engine, transmission, differential, radiator, p/s fluid, brake cyl fluid, clutch cyl fluid, and battery).

With the colder weather recently, I decided to check my tire pressure once I got home from a 2 hour drive, so the tires were warm. The front pressures were about 29 psi and rear was about 30 psi. I originally had filled them up to 37 a month or so ago while they were cold. Anyway I added some more pressure to get them up to about 37 psi.

This is a weekly check on my car maintenance check off list. During the really hot months, the Subes seem to lose about 1-5 PSI (on average) per tire each week. Sometimes it spot on but typically only on one tire. I always do this on Saturday morning before the sun hits the tires if they're outside (usually 6:00 AM) so I don't have unequal pressures to start with (side-to-side). I know that the tire pressures are off when I feel the car pulling or skittering like it's out of alignment. The AWD is pretty sensitive too to TP so that's another reason I try to keep the TP bias f/r and the 2 PSI difference works great. Agree with the others who mentioned that the higher TP on the RE92s does make them more responsive but at the cost of decreased comfort ride-wise. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

My Proxes 4's are about 43F/40R right now. Have had them at that from the AutoX from about a week ago. Its definitely stiffer, but it's pretty solid. I'll probably drop about 3-4PSI again soon, keeping the same 3PSI bias, but I'm enjoying the higher pressures right now. I'm just hoping they aren't going to cause higher center wear, but in a weeks time and some 1000-1500 miles, should be minimal.

S555 - I'd drop the pressures as soon as they cool down to normal "cold" condition. I left my Dayton Daytona ZRs at 44-42 for a week after my 1 and only Auto-X and I saw a noticeable center tire wear start almost immediately. This from a ZR tire with a 300+ tread wear rating and only 2500 miles. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Depending on where you are on the planet and at which time of year, everyone will and has to run at different pressures. For me here in Oz, I run front and rear usually at the same around 31 - 33 PSi. It works for me and not having much weight in the car, they dont squirm around at all. Adam. Running Bridgestone 16" RE030

I was kind of disappointed with the handling for a few days after purchase. Then I read these forums which suggested trying higher pressures, and when I checked, mine were 30/28. I find higher pressures make a huge difference. I like 38/36 to 39/37.

After I received my new 2.5 GT, I noticed the tires were too low. I measured the pressure and it was 28 on all. I went to the dealership in North Carolina to see if that is normal or should I increase it to the recommendations on the door placard. A sales-person measures it and says 28 is good on all because AWD needs same pressure on all. So I believe him, but I'm still worried. Next day I call the Subaru Sales Manager, who test-drove and sold me the car, and he says follow the recommendations on the placard. As you have observed, I'm very anal about every aspect of the car, but I think that is normal as this is my first new car. Mojo
I keed I keeed

Don't you guys wear the centers out of your tires? Stock pressure readings seem to be biased toward comfort without being under-inflated. I usually experiment in the range of 2-3psi above recommended. I would think that plus 5-8psi would be over-inflated, and would "balloon" the tires a bit too much, unloading the edges, and wearing the centers faster. I know the previous owner did that to my truck tires. it is very noticeable. New tires for it this week, though. Some nice Bridgestone Dueller AT Revos.

My tires came from the dealer at 34 all around. First changed it to 35/33. I increased psi to 37/35 and it made a noticeable difference. I may experiment with another 1-2 psi ...

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Archived