LegacyGT.com

Nissan / Datsun Z owners... Get in here!

fweasel turned me on to this thread! Here's my ride - a 1972, numbers matching 240Z. It's been mildly modified (by a previous owner) with a 5-speed and a R180 w/4.11 gears. I plan on reverting back to the 4 speed and original rear/gears.

I don't yet have a Scooby LGT, working on getting one as my daily driver.

rjd0022.thumb.jpg.b93a5655274a8b1876f361c9be336124.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
fweasel turned me on to this thread! Here's my ride - a 1972, numbers matching 240Z. It's been mildly modified (by a previous owner) with a 5-speed and a R180 w/4.11 gears. I plan on reverting back to the 4 speed and original rear/gears.

as long as nothing was cut and you have the stock trans /gears why put it back to stock? you can do that when/if you sell it. bosco

nice car

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Bosco,

Yes, that's kind of what I thought, but given the recent increase in value of the early Z's, I feel compelled to "restore" it.

With 2 kids, a wife, and busy career, it's tough to even do that - so I drive it with the 5-speed. It may be years before I ever drop the 4-speed in.

The car is alot of fun, I really enjoy it!

Ok, here's the "E":

^ now your talking. had a friend whose dad had a XKE w/12 cylinders can't recall the year but i do remember it was the good one. wasn't there one that had something to do with USA/FED bumpers? what a sweet car there might have been cars that out performed it but as far as sound and how it made you feel there was no competition. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Ah, yes - the 12 cylinder E's were a response by Jaguar to increase horsepower in the face of increased emissions. Mine is a Series 1, with a 4.2 liter 6 running 3 SU carbs. It has minimal (basically no) bumpers / crash protection and certainly no smog protection. It's much more of a sporty car than the GT 12 cylinder models.

I always liked the coupes and got this guy for a song. The interior is mint, but needs some mild engine and exterior cosmetics. Still an awesome car, half the block was staring as it came off the rig when I got it....

Yeah, you've got a good portion of my dream garage posted here already. The E-type is beautiful. I'm a numbers matching 240 guy myself (although I've yet to purchase one). I've always wanted one with the 5speed swap, but wouldn't buy one unless I did it myself, or the original trans/parts came with the car for the exact reasons you mentioned. Post some interior shots when you have a second.:icon_bigg

fweasel,

Thanks! That's one of my prized possessions! I like the Z32 TT, don't see many of them anymore!

In fact, if I didn't need the extra doors to accommodate my 2 little girls, the 300ZX would be top of my list - awesome car! I need a LGT 5MT for my daily use vehicle, the S30 is garaged (with an E-Type and a '67 Honda CL/77 Scrambler).

Figured I respond to your post in a more approprate thread... My TT is my weekend summer car and with the recent acquisition of the LGT and subsequent modifications, I find the winter months to be oh so much more enjoyable!

ignore him, he'll go away.

Ah, yes - the 12 cylinder E's were a response by Jaguar to increase horsepower in the face of increased emissions. Mine is a Series 1, with a 4.2 liter 6 running 3 SU carbs. It has minimal (basically no) bumpers / crash protection and certainly no smog protection. It's much more of a sporty car than the GT 12 cylinder models.

I always liked the coupes and got this guy for a song. The interior is mint, but needs some mild engine and exterior cosmetics. Still an awesome car, half the block was staring as it came off the rig when I got it....

the 6 cylinder model is a beautiful machine i was just recalling the XKE's in general. an XKE looks so nice going down the road, maybe someday. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

where do you search/find/buy these older cars? i've been thinking of getting a retro sportscar as my second car... but just don't know where to search for them online.. a 240z like yours would be sweet. or maybe a bmw 2002tii. but first, i need to figure out where to find such cars to buy.

Nice! I met a guy in RI who road races a 240Z. Nice balanced performance.

Only Nissan I have is an 05 Quest. Great motor.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

where do you search/find/buy these older cars? i've been thinking of getting a retro sportscar as my second car... but just don't know where to search for them online.. a 240z like yours would be sweet. or maybe a bmw 2002tii. but first, i need to figure out where to find such cars to buy.

You can try ebay to get a feel for whats out there. Also zcar.com has a 240-260 classified section as well.

ignore him, he'll go away.

rvlmtfnk,

I'd do a ton of research first - check Hemmings, Sports Car Market, etc. for an idea on pricing, quality, ease of finding parts and so on.

eBay can be another quick reference point, but beware (I posted something on my Z board about it - my wife and been doing some eBay business on the side for the past 6 years).

Essentially, I bought both over the 'net, but with considerable discussion with the owners, video/picture evidence, background check of the cars. I lucked out on both cars, I'd be wary doing that with something like an LGT. The typical owner of a classic car is less likely to be a scam artist, but they are out there.

Haha, no - I think that was miscommunicated. I mean to say purchasing a contemporary car over eBay or the Internet can be hazardous (loads of scams)...I've been doing eBay a long time, I've been scammed myself. By default, a person purchasing a car locally will visually inspect a vehicle and be less likely to get duped. Buying one over the Internet doesn't necessarily allow you the luxury to inspect the car in person, so there's increased risk.

Generally speaking (and I mean GENERALLY), given the rarity and scrutiny a classic car will get from experts that are interested in makes it inherently more difficult to execute a scam. They still happen though, and that's why you must make extra effort to be educated in what you want/expect prior to acquistion.

I am trying to acquire a LGT - so it would be in my best interest not to insult people that can be a valuable resource - that wasn't the intent.:(

^^yeah I didnt get that from your post :lol:

don't mind Bosco, he's old :lol:

there's a lot of things around here i don't get. :lol: i was nice in my response just trying to clear it up. btw height's quit sucking up to the new guy. :icon_bigg bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

+million

fweasel, I am jelous ZXTT + LGT. Can't beat that combo.

I used to have 84 ZXT. Loved it. I am thinking I'll get a 2nd gen ZXTT one day.

I would have to agree that the ZXTT + LGT combo is great. I think fweasel and I might be twins separated at birth........

Z_JPL.JPG.ce5095ad461afcb0dcefb8efe5c73122.JPG

11.thumb.jpg.fe9cdfd27bb3b3d47e63069f5042d690.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hey folks,

No posts to this thread in almost 2 years! I'll revive it.

I'm a Z owner, and just recently bought a LGT:

http://skwiggly.com/photos/lgt/masters-collection.com-25.JPG

(better pics coming soon :)

I've had my '91 Z Twin Turbo for about 4 years now. Minor mods, about 320 whp. She's a garage queen, only out on summer weekends. These pics were taken a couple summers ago, up on peak to peak hwy, foothills of the Rockies. Nothing beats driving twisty canyon roads on a sunny day with the tops off :D

http://skwiggly.com/photos/z/DSC00013.jpg

http://skwiggly.com/photos/z/DSC00022.jpg

I currently have a 1997 200sx se-r (bought the lgt as its replacement)

Im just working on putting it all back to stock before i sell it.

At one time the car was running 12.90's on a drag radial (t28@7psi)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/byronchrisp05/newb14002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/byronchrisp05/newb14003.jpg

Archived