LegacyGT.com

Easy Radar Detector Install

XK-WRX

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a V1 and the Country joy...see above webiste setup...Had them on my Auto dimming mirror for the last 2 years. I hard wired the V1 using an ebay-purchased wire. I bot a Homelink mirror a few months ago and now am just gettign aorund to hardwiring it again.

The new connector for the HL mirror is a 12 pin vs. 10 pin. I found the positive lead on the plug but not the negative. As most of you know, Subaru has a safety setup that when the car is put into reverse, power to the mirror shuts off...well I was able to get power to the detector but it is the 'safety' power.

So I need to find the power so I can hook this up? Anyone have a schematic? Also, the wires do not 'fit' into the back of the connector like they did with the auto dimming mirror. I am afraid that they will not stay once I get it set. Any ideas on how I can splice the wires into the connector without a ton of work? I will post some pics so you can see what I'm talking about.

Rehab is for quitters.

^ TP, there's another power wire that doesn't cut out in reverse. Get a multi-meter and find it :)

In my 08, the mirror connector is 3 wires, ground, +12v, and +12v cutout in reverse.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

The cheap mirror mount..

I was sick of replacing my suction cups on my radar detector and having it fall in my lap. So I started checking into mirror mounts. Seeing they were in the $70 range and I already blew the budget on a AP. Off to Lowes I went...

I found hangers in the plumbing section. They are called Milford hangers for 3/4" piping (see picture) here's the steps I did.

1. Bolt milford hanger onto mirror.

2. Bend and cut hanger to length

3. Make the first two holes big enough to put bolt through

4. Drill same size holes in the metal bracket that your suction cups slide into.

5. Bolt radar detector mount to milford hanger

6. Paint (unless you like the look of copper)

7. Bolt onto mirror. (I also threw a zip tie around the mount for a little more support.)

8. Hard wire and your done! No more suction cups.

Attached Thumbnailshttp://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=82631&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1269910004 http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=82633&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1269910064 http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=82634&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1269910086

Yeah I need to find the other +12v...found the reverse cut out. The problem is then wires do not easily into the plug...even to test it...Any thoughts on the best way to splice it ?

^ TP, there's another power wire that doesn't cut out in reverse. Get a multi-meter and find it :)

In my 08, the mirror connector is 3 wires, ground, +12v, and +12v cutout in reverse.

Rehab is for quitters.

To tap into my mirror (sorry, couldn't guide you, as I don't have the HomeLink mirror; only the Autodimming) power source for my Cheetah GPS Mirror, I took a razor and carefully sliced open the black outer wrap to reveal the individual wires feeding to the connector. From there, it's your choice as to how you tap the actual power wire. :)

The wires there were too fine for the few T-taps I'd had on-hand (I'd just completed a project on my wife's car, at that point, and was short of supplies), and instead of trekking out to the store, I just decided to go old-school, and stripped-and-soldered the thing.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Yeah I need to find the other +12v...found the reverse cut out. The problem is then wires do not easily into the plug...even to test it...Any thoughts on the best way to splice it ?

Forget about the connector and wire that plugs into the back of the mirror.

Remember these cars are wired for the homelink mirrors regardless of if you get the mirror or not.

What I did... again this is for the 08, is took out the map lights above. There is a three pronged connector that's visible that the wire for the homelink mirror gets plugged into.

I just took old phone cord (need one with all 4 wires, not 2) and cut a few feet off... fished the cut tail with the homelink wire underneath the headliner and tapped into that connector. I'm not sure if it's the same for the 06, though. I think it should be.

When I get home tomorrow I will upload pictures to show you, if you want.

To tap into my mirror (sorry, couldn't guide you, as I don't have the HomeLink mirror; only the Autodimming) power source for my Cheetah GPS Mirror, I took a razor and carefully sliced open the black outer wrap to reveal the individual wires feeding to the connector. From there, it's your choice as to how you tap the actual power wire. :)

The wires there were too fine for the few T-taps I'd had on-hand (I'd just completed a project on my wife's car, at that point, and was short of supplies), and instead of trekking out to the store, I just decided to go old-school, and stripped-and-soldered the thing.

You're old-school, Allen. I haven't soldered since the days of my old RC cars....

Rehab is for quitters.

Thanks, Nemo. I think I'll take your advice. I bot the V1 connector off of eBay. It is short and came with a fuse soldered on. I guess I'll scrap that and just buy some phone cord and use that...no big deal. I'll post abck with any questions....thanks guys!

Forget about the connector and wire that plugs into the back of the mirror.

Remember these cars are wired for the homelink mirrors regardless of if you get the mirror or not.

What I did... again this is for the 08, is took out the map lights above. There is a three pronged connector that's visible that the wire for the homelink mirror gets plugged into.

I just took old phone cord (need one with all 4 wires, not 2) and cut a few feet off... fished the cut tail with the homelink wire underneath the headliner and tapped into that connector. I'm not sure if it's the same for the 06, though. I think it should be.

When I get home tomorrow I will upload pictures to show you, if you want.

Rehab is for quitters.

^ good luck! it's really pretty easy.

I used flat connectors from radio shack that are similar to these:

http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pRS1C-2266837w345.jpg

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104085#

they fit perfectly into the connector. i'll upload pics tomorrow

Pic 1: Here you can see the connector I'm talking about. The two wires run down the headliner, one to the mirror and one to the radar detector

http://i40.tinypic.com/9rhv9z.jpg

Pic 2: Here you can see the connectors plugged into the connector. I was wrong previously, the three pins are +12v, ground, switched ground. Middle for me is ground, use a multimeter to check, since obviously the 06 can be different.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2emegj7.jpg

Pic 3: I tried to get a shot of the connector thingies I used from radio shack. That is a top down view of them. Think of them looking like this: _________ :lol:

http://i41.tinypic.com/5voqo9.jpg

^ That's sweet - bookmarked for-reference! Thanks, nemo! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Sorry to bring this up again, but I don't have the homelink mirror, but I do want to tap into the power. The three wires are ground, +12v and +12v cutoff in reverse, correct? Does the +12v that does not cutoff in reverse stay on all the time or just when the key is turned? Also, does anyone know the Subaru part number for the male connector that goes into the homelink mirror femail connector? I am sure it is a replaceable part, but can't find it anywhere. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Anybody use these mounts? I stumbled across them today and am fed up with suction mounts and don't feel like fabbing anything myself and/or have anything ghetto. Think I'm going to give it a shot for my Bel RX65 and homelink mirror.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

There's a lot of people using those mounts - just remember that your detector will be in plain sight, and that it may intrude into your visual field, too, given how low our mirrors are.

Other than that, virtually no minuses. :) It's a well-made unit.

• 2 years later...

Archived