LegacyGT.com

"Not covered under warranty, it's a wear item"???

mcsquish

I am chasing down a vibration in my '05 LGT wagon and a friend who works at the local dealer suggested checking the allignment. Sure enough it needed one bad. When he tried to adjust the rear toe, the nut for the bolt that adjusts the eccentric bushing was frozen tight. He tried everything then went to get a new assembly to replace it. He came back and said that 1. They didn't have any on the shelf, and 2. The service manager said it isn't covered under warranty. So he suggested he try just "persuading" it enough. Anyways, The service manager told me that it is considered a wear item and not covered, but for $120 he'd get it replaced. Now my LGT has 20K on it and is only 21 months from the build date. I thought it would be covered, but I guess I should know better. I have had problems before with this dealership before. Any thoughts??

________

Softair Wesson Spring Powered Airsoft

I could understand them not covering an alignment under warrany, but not covering the part on the car that allows the adjustment to be made? Not doesn't make any sense. The nut and what it attaches to is not a wear item.
It is still ugly.

That bolt was messed up when it came off my car when the springs were installed. The bolt and the washer were like 15 bucks I think. Just get one when the dealer has them in stock, and put it in yourself, or just have the alignment shop put it in when you go get an alignment. You can replace it with a non-eccentric bolt from home depot for a temporary fix (that's what I did)

wow, that's what I call quick help. That's what I thought. The tech couldn't believe it either that the bolt was frozen. Tried PB blaster, heat, heat then fast coling, nothing worked. I think I'll be calling SOA, I've had problems before with this guy.

________

SATIVA STRAINS

Just want to relay my personal experience with the rear toe-in adjuster. Don't know if this applies to you.

Was this the first time that the rear toe was adjusted on this car? Were you the one that bent a rim before...

This toe-in bolt assembly is extremely easy to damage. When loosening the nut, the head of the bolt has to be held but not turned. Only the nut must be turned. If the mechanic does not do this, the torque will be reacted by the little flange on the adjustment washer. The flats are tiny. It wouldn't take much torque to round them.

The head of the bolt faces aft, so it is tempting to just reach it and start wrenching with air tools. This is a sure fire way to round out the washer.

Once the washer is rounded, the toe can not be adjusted. The mechanic who did this to my car, hid it by just reefing on the nut to hold everything in place with friction. This may explain why the nut is on so tight right now.

I'm glad I found out when I did and got all the hardware replaced.

There was only one dealer in the Puget Sound that stocked the hardware. They charged me double SOA MSRP for it (I checked PN and prices afterward). Thanks Carter Subaru for adding a 100% surcharge on hard to find parts. In hindsight, all I needed was the cam washer which is not that expensive even with the surcharge if you can find it.

I'll post the part numbers later tonight. It's not in the vacation pix. Carter gave me an updated picture of the assembly with all the parts shown.

Frankly, I am extremely surprised that this is not more common. It's very easy to round out the washer. Next time I go in for an alignment, I am going to order an extra pair to give to the mechanic.

Just want to relay my personal experience with the rear toe-in adjuster. Don't know if this applies to you.

Was this the first time that the rear toe was adjusted on this car? Were you the one that bent a rim before...

This toe-in bolt assembly is extremely easy to damage. When loosening the nut, the head of the bolt has to be held but not turned. Only the nut must be turned. If the mechanic does not do this, the torque will be reacted by the little flange on the adjustment washer. The flats are tiny. It wouldn't take much torque to round them.

The head of the bolt faces aft, so it is tempting to just reach it and start wrenching with air tools. This is a sure fire way to round out the washer.

Once the washer is rounded, the toe can not be adjusted. The mechanic who did this to my car, hid it by just reefing on the nut to hold everything in place with friction. This may explain why the nut is on so tight right now.

I'm glad I found out when I did and got all the hardware replaced.

There was only one dealer in the Puget Sound that stocked the hardware. They charged me double SOA MSRP for it (I checked PN and prices afterward). Thanks Carter Subaru for adding a 100% surcharge on hard to find parts. In hindsight, all I needed was the cam washer which is not that expensive even with the surcharge if you can find it.

I'll post the part numbers later tonight. It's not in the vacation pix. Carter gave me an updated picture of the assembly with all the parts shown.

Frankly, I am extremely surprised that this is not more common. It's very easy to round out the washer. Next time I go in for an alignment, I am going to order an extra pair to give to the mechanic.

This is why you should support this site. Forewarned is forearmed! Thank you for the "tech" report!!!!:)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Thanks for posting this! Oh, please post part #s.

I had alignment done by some punk at Firestone. I wonder if we killed these washers, too. Never thought about this.

Can you please explain exactly how to find out whether it's okay or not.

mickeyd2005, yes I'm the one, but it was on a different corner.? Go figure. The tech did hold both ends with wrenches and didn't use air tools, just big breaker bars. I email SOA and about 20 min. later I recieved a reply! Much faster than I thought. Between this forum and SOA, the responce to my questions is awsome, I'm learning so much. But then I didn't know much to begin with.........

________

Friend Advice Forum

• 3 weeks later...

Archived