LegacyGT.com

'03 Cobra owner test drives a Legacy GT.

The Cobra is was set up at 12psi(440rwhp) but is now back to stock.

Clutch: VERY light and subtle compared to the Cobra which grabs as soon as your foot is lifting.

Shifter: completely smooth and soft. The Cobra is notchy and doesnt always like to slide into gear perfectly. Tried with stock,short throw, and two different handles.

Ride: Stuck really well in the few turns I got to take and the general ride was as nice as I expected. The Cobra handles and rides really well to for a 3800 pound car. It'll never get the respect it deserves.

Accelleration: Likes to climb the rpms fast although I didnt get into boost because it had 15 miles on it but it felt like it wanted to move. Stock the Cobra is deceptively fast because of the torque curve. Pullied will plant you in your seat. But under normal conditions is very driveable.

Creature comforts: lots of little things I'd like to see in the Cobra: DCC, outside temp,mpg readings, and in general just nicer looking. The Cobra is Spartan, just what it needs to function but I guess if you're driving it right you should be worried about whats in front of you.

Look: I think the exterior is refined\sporty but i think it needs to be 3\4 of an in shorter. The Cobra looks agressive but also needs a 1" drop.

I think the Legacy will be a nice replacement for the Cobra as I dont need that much car. The LGT answers all my car needs all the way around better than any other car available right now. Hopefully I'll have it in october but right now I have a few things that need to be settled before i trade.

The thing I'll miss most about the obra is scaring people with the 2nd gear pulls. I've made guys scream. Maybe I can mod the GT to do the same? The salesman did show me a tuner that can do all the mods.

DSCF0013.JPG.55d56dd13c5a88ff5f06d1b922fe2242.JPG

Glad to hear you gave such a review! I have a friend with an '04 Cobra and it's making a little more than you (460whp) and I will say that it's the fastest ****ing car I have ever been in. Since I haven't been in a car that fast before, I couldn't even react to anything because I wasn't used to it. Let's just say I had the biggest smile on my face.
-ben

intresting... you have good taste. very different cars imo, i choose the lgt cuz it was roomy 4 drs yet can still kick ass at the stoplight. its very comfortable and very easy to mod (although i havent started yet, there are many subaru tuners). congrats in advance in getting the car, and if you dont get the car well.. the cobra is still sick!

I considered the Cobra because of how easy it is to go "stupid fast" but decided on the Legacy because of the interior and the AWD. I love the Mustang exterior but the interior is exactly like it was in 1994. I'm no fan of the 05 Mustang design so Subaru it is! I'm new to Subarus but I'm a firm believer that it can run 12s for fairly cheap, and I'm the one to see how cheap that is :D

Your observations matched mine very closely. We were coming from a 98 Mustang GT, and an 03-04 Cobra was one of the replacements we considered. I owned an 89 Mustang that was an 11 sec car, and kind of miss that performance. However, this is my wife's daily driver, and I get my kicks on bikes these days. The LGT provided an excellent compromise of four adult comfort, winter driveability and pretty impressive performance. As you noted, mid-low 13 second performance is easily within reach without degrading the driveability of the car. Hope it works out for you!

Yeah, mods for the legacy should follow similar to the WRX and STI. Stage 2 will probably be the simplest and most cost effective mods you can do to the car, all while keeping it very reliable. And with stage 2 mods you should be able to hit low-mid 13's in the Legacy. My guess, 13.4.

Umm, the Cobra and its roots blower makes TONS of low end power, far more than the Subaru can hope to make at the 2-3k rpm level. I'd give the nod to a pullied Cobra any day. Not that I'm unhappy with my car, but a positive-displacement blower combined with a v8 makes for incredible power at maybe 10% throttle.

Yeah, despite how easy the Legacy is to drive, the Cobra is faster in any kind of driving. But it should be relatively simple to get the Legacy up to Cobra levels of HP with the standard power overhaul - ECU tuning, turboback exhaust, big twinscroll turbo, big injectors, bigger intercooler, etc. It doesn't take all that much, because you don't have to do anything to the motor.

Having driven and built a number of high horsepower rear wheel drive cars, while they are tons of fun and great for showing off, but are very tricky to drive quickly on the street. The Legacy can be driven quickly and there is still a lot of margin for error (even with the stock tires for you tire snobs out there), which is something you don't have with a high horsepower rear wheel drive car. If you drive the HHPRWD car like you could drive the Legacy you will be in the ditch almost immediately. When the weather is less then perfect it is even more dramatic. The HHPRWD car will easily out accelearate the LEgacy, especially when you measure it at a dragstrip with slicks inflated to 10 psi and a VHT prepared surface, but I'd like to see a Mustang of any sort go i nto the low 12's with real street tires inflated to normal pressures. Of course the trap speed will be sky high.....:)

What is this "snow" you speak of? :D [quote name='Throttlejockey'][quote name='rodan']Don't forget, a cat-back, blower pulley and some tuning will get you into 500 hp territory with the Cobra. That's SERIOUS hp for the money! :o[/quote] Have fun in the snow. :lol:[/quote]

[quote]Have fun in the snow.[/quote] 3" is the most the Cobra ever saw. No big deal. [quote]but I'd like to see a Mustang of any sort go i nto the low 12's with real street tires inflated to normal pressures. [/quote] Fastest time I've heard of is a 12.48 at 116 in a bone stock '03 Cobra. Anyone who can hit under a 12.8 at 112+ knows what they are doing the rest is track quality(I doubt I'm one of them). You can get 12.2s with catback and CAI alone because of the 25-40 rwhp gain and increased throttle response. This car has an extreme learning curve for launches. An '03 Cobra with catback and CAI off the showroom floor would have a $3K gas guzzler tax($1K stock) and would be too loud to sell. Hence the bottling up of both ends. As fast and as expensive as it is I've had it in the shop quite a few times though. Warped clutch, window squeak twice, exhaust guard rattle, pulley guard rattle, tensioner bearing is dying(on order from Mi.)

Hey, I bought the Legacy, didn't I?? :D Just saying the Cobra is a lot of car for the money. It may not be the most refined, and certainly will be a handful in bad weather, but it will haul buns...

Archived