LegacyGT.com

Stage II advice

mpetty

Man, I have been researching this and I just can't seem to decide on a plan.

I am going to go Stage II later this year/early next. What is going to be the best setup for me?

I will have a TDC "generic" stage two map, so that's covered, but not sure what to do about hardware.

My priorites are:

Drivability - reducing spool and increasing low-end torque

Livability - little increase in noise/smell

Reliability - I want to do the install once and be done with it, no messing around with leaks etc. Also concerned about keeping underhood temps down since I will keep the car for a good long time.

I would like to spend less than $1k on the UP/DP or headers/DP.

Particularly those of you that have tried/seen several different setups - what would be the best way to go??

Thanks in advance for any insights!

I'm waiting on some more results with the megan headers. The headers are 375 coated with an integrated up. As for the dp i'd a crucial shorty or invidia full length for 320. Stage 2+ for around 700 :)

If you dont want headers you could go with an invidia up/dp for around 450 shipped.

Oh yeah the megan racing dp should be coming along sometime. I'm sure it will be a great price given their other products.

stock to stage 2 power

Computer mapping:

AP: $650-$700 (w TDC map $700)

or

ECUTek. Don't know a lot about it. Check out PDX tuning.

$200-$600 Down pipe. All stage 2 maps require at least the front half of your downpipe (or shorty section) to be catless. You can do a shorty and maintain the third stock cat...less stinky. Or do a full down pipe like Cobb or others and get it with a HFC...not too stinky.

$100-$300 Up pipe. Not required, but highly recommended. You don't want that cat in your up pipe in case it should break up and go into the turbo. I don't even think it should be on stock cars.

Cat back. Not required, but tune will respond better. you'll add some hp and torque.

If you like it all and don't have a lot of cash. Megan Racing has a ton of stuff for cheap. Headers w/ up pipe $249, up pipe $100, Catback $600, soon to release downpipe.

Don't forget about suspension. The car already has a lot of power for the stock suspenstion...dive and squat. Invest some money in controling your power. You can have a ton of horsepower but if you can't get to the ground or control it, what's the point? Invest in at least some good tires, springs and sway bars.

+1 for Megan Racing stuff...see user Boostjunkie for those parts!

+1 for don't touch catback if you want quiet...I have catted COBB dp and Bosal UP and it's pretty quiet, but the car will humm for you and you can hear the spooling if you step on it

In Taiwan now...:spin:

- And don't forget BRAKES. Would at least upgrade pads (I have Endless SS-M--GREAT but expensive).

- Install: May want to consider paying for UP/DP install. Local dealer gave me a very reasonable quote (the dealer was a Cobb-authorized dealer). I paid something like $180. No leaks, etc--dropped the car off, picked it up. I love to install stuff myself, but being a newbie, it was nice to not have to worry about leaks, etc. If it leaks, it's their responsibility.

- +1 on swaybars

- +1 on tires (though not that big of a deal to just put 15 or 20k miles on the OEMs, then switch; I have KDW 2 now and love'em for a summer tire (a bit noisier than OEM though)).

Thanks for the input guys, FWIW I already have:

iON Springs

18" Enkeis with Pirelli PZero Nero A/S

RBS grill

TDC Stage 1

So I have addressed some of the basic handling stuff. I am not convinced that there is a good braking solution out there yet (dust, noise, etc), and all of the sways seem to have issues except maybe Cusco. I am waiting for some good aftermarket struts to come along and then if I still feel the need I'll go for sways.

Catback will stay stock - wouldn't mess with it unless after stage II I decide I want more noise. Even then I'd probably go Borla.

I guess the biggest questions for me are:

Megan racing coated headers vs. Bosal V2 vs. Crucial uppipe

Cobb catted DP vs. Invidia/Perrin catted DP vs. Crucial shorty

*sigh* Decisions, decisions.

i have all 3 pipes gutted. don't even smell any stink at all. only when i first re installed everything but it was from the wd40 burning off. no stink issues, fitment, leak issues, etc. all stock parts, just catless and running TDC stg 2
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

i have all 3 pipes gutted. don't even smell any stink at all. only when i first re installed everything but it was from the wd40 burning off. no stink issues, fitment, leak issues, etc. all stock parts, just catless and running TDC stg 2

Do you have any times or dyno #'s on this setup. I'm just curious. :icon_wink

Kyle

How many people here have no problem running headers without any coating? There seems to be a huge price jump for the coating. Is it that much safer for the turbo and engine bay to be running coated headers? 250 for the megan headers is too good of a deal!

How many people here have no problem running headers without any coating? There seems to be a huge price jump for the coating. Is it that much safer for the turbo and engine bay to be running coated headers? 250 for the megan headers is too good of a deal!

coating is always a good idea in order to keep temps down, but you don't need it. you'll probably melt your plastic under tray a little though.

Well,

I found an STi uppipe with <6000 miles on it for $70 shipped on IWSTI, so I guess I have that covered.

I guess the only call now is between the Cobb catted DP and the Crucial unit.

I will probably go Cobb sice I saved a few bucks on the UP. Nobody seems to have anything bad to say about it.

I also think I will get Crucials Stage 8 kit. At $70 it is a bit steep, but my time is valuable, and if it ensures I only have to do the job once, it is worth it to me.

Now to get a few extra welds on the UP before install.....

:icon_twis

Morgan

Do you have any times or dyno #'s on this setup. I'm just curious. :icon_wink

Kyle

no awd dyno, however, here is a time slip from august at the track:

other than gutted pipes, i have TDC stg 2 93 tune on 5EAT. the uppipe took the longest time. worked on it for about 2 wks when i got the chance. i had another stock UP from a WRX and then we just traded that out with my stocker once it was gutted. the DP and MP took about 30 mins with the car up in the air. hubby is a service advisor at subie dealer so i can have him get it up on the lift after hours. looking to add headers and TMIC by Spring.

i'm car 8458

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/trdvibe/Pics%20for%20posting/TestNTune8.jpg

Holy Smokes!:lol: What was car 0226 doing at the start; eating a hamburger? That RT is miles behind. I guess it goes to show what a better driver can do in a slower car. I bet he was catching up quick. Those times look pretty good with the 5eat. What is the elevation at the track?

Kyle

the other car was a honda... he had to wait for the hamsters to warm up before he could catch up... but boy was he gaining. my poor auto tranny was going "oh f*ck! that POS is gonna catch up!!!" :lol:

top end sucks ass on the AT. but i'll be adding a TMIC before spring so hopefully that helps. :) i'd like to see how a MT with the same mods would do in comparison. the top end is killing me! from what i can gather, the 5MT overcomes this and they are running a lot faster with higher traps.

and lets just say my torque launching has now gotten me yelled at by the hubby (subie service advisor) due to the in car camera set up at the last track day .... forgot about it and it told on me! LOL. i just kinda hold the brake and rev the car, letting on and off the gas until the last amber light goes and i stomp on it. of course, the down side is that if i don't do it quite right it screws my launch and the wheels chirp and i get a shitty start! :(

here's a view from the hubby's car (04 Pontiac Vibe base 5 MT). i finally convinced him to race me just for grins and giggles (mine of course). not one of my best runs (13.95 and i was running 13.6-7 all morning), but i had to ease up a little on him so he didn't cry too much. didn't want to add more salt to the wound. besides, he kicks my ass in autocross (not as badly now, but still a few hundredths), so i gotta take my wins where i know i can get them! i just prefer winning by a few seconds! he's getting an STI next year anyways... so then we get to run again!

Test N Tune Sept 10 06 :: Phil vs Hope (Phil in car camera) video by trdvibe - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://vidmg.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v384/trdvibe/Test%20N%20Tune%20Sept%2010%2006/TestNTune9.flv@@AMEPARAM@@vidmg@@AMEPARAM@@mg@@AMEPARAM@@v384/trdvibe/Test%20N%20Tune%20Sept%2010%2006/TestNTune9

Well,

I found an STi uppipe with <6000 miles on it for $70 shipped on IWSTI, so I guess I have that covered.

yes, well worth it if that's all it was. the UP was a real b*tch to gut! :(

Archived