LegacyGT.com

Going against the grain.....

RoundBoy

I'll offer a different opinion.. I don't take my car to the track... at least i'm not planning to.. I expect to take the curves and corners at a good speed, and not have any slipping... I expect to drive on wet roads like they are dry .. After all the naysaying about the stock tires.. I was ready to think that kicking them would cause the car to explode! After the amount of rain i drove through last night.. and the various speeds and turns i went through last night and today.. i have faith in the stock tires. While I will most likely be replacing them with a better all season tire.. I will wait until they wear down... i can't justify dropping 5,6 hundred + dollars on a new set when these seem perfectly fine for 99% of my driving .. just as a public service to the n00bs out there that got a little worried reading all these new tire posts ...

I totally agree. Unless your going to an autocross track or totally living on the edge (probably breaking all kinds of laws) when driving, the stock tires seem to do just fine. Now when they wear out.....who knows. I'll research further then. But to take brand new tires off and try to get 1/2 their value just seems silly.

oh.. i didn't mean to give the worng impression.. I was speeding around like a champ.. the quickness i got into 60 was wonderful.. i do get my share of speeding tickets... When i take curves.. i do so at usually well above the speed limit ;) I say 'no' to the track.. because I don't think a stock AT car will do to well there .. nor do i want to spend the money to turn it into a racer ..

I always say that they are fine for your average driver in areas that don't get tons of snow. Now me, I'll probably get something else because we DO get a ton of snow. But if we didn't I'd wear out the stockers. In fact, I know people who hang out online and buy up sets of these tires for cheap from all of the people selling them to get something "better". I've tried several other all seasons that get rave reviews as being "way better" that aren't really so much better. For instance, I don't see the continental contisport extremes or whatever they are as being vastly superior in any department--pretty comparable really. The SP Sport 5000's do get better snow traction and have better ultimate traction, but the steering response isn't actually as good. All seasons aren't summers.

I only have extensive experience with the smaller RE-92's on my Wife's '03 Legacy. I felt that they were fairly adequate nearly all the time. I've driven on plenty of tires in my life and really they seemed to be fine for a stock all-season tire. I've been a big fan of Pirelli's soft compound tires for a long time and these don't feel much different. The Potenza RE-92's don't last all that long either. Use them up and replace them in a year or two with something better. Don't waste the money now! Make an extra car payment instead! :)

Yeah in my WRX they lasted about 35000 miles but boy they got scary at the end. I replaced them with another set of new RE92s bought from someone that replaced factory ones with "something better". They worked just fine for three seasons of snow. And yes we get decent amount of snow in PA. Sergej

we've had a lot of rain in connecticut the last couple of days and i had small skids 3 times (!!) yesterday. i was NOT doing anything dramatic. first was on a curving on-ramp, went into oversteer as the rear slid out i was NOT going especially fast. i thought maybe it was the asphalt surface. late i braked from a speed of about 75, moving straight ahead, not hard braking as i just wanted to slow to tuck in behind another car as i approached my exit. not that much water on the road. the car kind of wiggled back and forth, as if i were on some patchy ice. the third instance might have been tramlining but felt like the second. i ordered new tires today.

Nothing wrong with the stock tires, but since there are so many more desirable tires out there, one could upgraded to a more sticky tire. Remember, the stock tire is an All-season tire afterall, dont expect to go all out ballin' with them or have a lot of faith on them when taking turns at speeds higher than posted limit (and in some conditions, AT posted speeds). The tire does qualify as a very safe and trouble-free tire. I use my RE92s as my back-up tire instead of just burning them up for autocrossing. It's already bad enough that they cost $130 each (OEM Subaru pricing).. and they are rated as 140 treadwear.. just let them last and drive long distances on them.. that's what they are good for. Drive safe, Keep it safe, and safely get to your destination. Keefe
Keefe

the stcokers r fine for everyday driving but for people who drive more aggresivly like me i will be opting for a stickier tire. the braking, cornering and accelerating with an upgraded tire will make your car feel much more connected to the road and make u feel more confident as well.. its money well spent

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='powbmps']So far I'm loving the rim protector on the RE92's. They've already saved my rims from damage several times. Chris S.[/QUOTE] Well, they didn't protect mine. Scraped the wheel (on a curb I think) AND sliced the rim protector rubber on the tire and scratched the wheel. Lucky for you. Unlucky for me.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Just becareful of driving such speeds.. you dont have to drive track speeds to lose control of the car.. you can really tell the difference in the RE92s vs. a more desirable tire just in an auto-x.. not sure if you are that kind of driver that drives like an auto-x intensity level on public road, but it's really easy to forget what you have on your wheels and the tires will give out in terms of grip. I wouldnt put too much faith on the RE92 above the speed limits.. it's not a dedicated performance tire that offers the compound for grip for SAFETY measures. Keefe
Keefe

Archived