LegacyGT.com

Autoblog: European Subaru Legacy gets a refresh

boltman

Wow, that is pretty nice. If this does make it (more or less) to the US, I am going to be first in line at my dealership to get one. I like the styling and the BMW-esque wheels (at least better than the 07 wheels), and I think the little touches will go a long way (paddle shifters, memory seats, auto folding mirros, etc.).

washers suck!!! my brother had a 325 bmw w/ auto washers and guess what...

those suckers went on after detailingnthe car for 3 hrs. needless to say, we were not pleased. washers are stupid, unless one has an off-road vehicle actively going through mud or is in a snowstorm in the middle of antartica.

If you are driving on the highway and your windshield is consistently getting dirty (and it is dark) guess what? your headlights are real dirty too.

I don't need them often, but they can sure be nice to have and a possible lifesaver at that.

Why would they go off after detailing the car? I thought they go off when the windshield washer sprayer is turned on.

The link for the rear-right shot of the sedan doesn't work so here it is...

http://stadium.weblogsinc.com/autoblog/hirezpics/newlegacy01.jpg

It better not have HID's... my 05 Subie will be the last I buy if it does...

I do like the idea of the electrically folding door mirrors.. will come in really handy when taking the ferries here.

It says it has HIDs. Why wouldnt you want HIDs???:icon_conf

They look just like the ones sold in Australia except for the red reflector in the rear bumper. We get an ugly grille like insert.

I believe those are the rear "vertical" fog lights that they were referring to in the article. Something we will likely NOT see here in the USDM.

From the article.

"The rear of the saloon is even more different and features smaller rear lamps set higher, underlined by chrome strips. Stylish, vertical rear fog lamps are set low down in the rear bumper making the car look sporty and ground-hugging."

And, yeah, why wouldn't you want HIDS?

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

The headlight projectors look bigger. interesting... The headlight washers seem kinda cool. Wonder what a blacked out headlight and washer deal would look like...

The bumper lights in the back are rear fogs. I am betting that NorAm will get a blank bumper with no vents or fogs... just versions of the shorter tail lights, but perhaps not even the same ones that ROW is seeing now.

It will be interesting to see what happens over the next calendar year, to reveal the USDM 08 Legacy, and whatever might change...

I believe those are the rear "vertical" fog lights that they were referring to in the article. Something we will likely NOT see here in the USDM.

From the article.

"The rear of the saloon is even more different and features smaller rear lamps set higher, underlined by chrome strips. Stylish, vertical rear fog lamps are set low down in the rear bumper making the car look sporty and ground-hugging."

And, yeah, why wouldn't you want HIDS?

SBT

Well, for a change we are not getting some goodies from across the pond!!

:-(

Interesting, they didn't include DCCD on the 6MT models...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

is it only me who doesn't want "dual zone" climate control? I've had alot of cars with those dual-zone things, and you just end up adjusting both to the same all the time. If you really want different temps, you still can not get any major difference.

is it only me who doesn't want "dual zone" climate control? I've had alot of cars with those dual-zone things, and you just end up adjusting both to the same all the time. If you really want different temps, you still can not get any major difference.

I agree, it is more of a gimmick than anything else, but most (all?) implementations have some kind of "sync" button for keeping both temps at the same setting.

On my Sienna, I have tri-zone climate control, and it always seems funny to me that you could actually achieve 3 separate climates within 200 cu. ft. of space. In my mind, I get this image of a small rain cloud raining on the passenger seat while the driver is enjoying a sunny day. I also wonder if you get significant "wind" being generated by air flowing from one "climate" to another.

On a related note, as I have opined in the past, this is an example of technology changing things just for the sake of changing them, and for any actual improvement. I tend to think that the old standard "three-dial" system works pretty well, and didn't really need to be improved. At least Subaru hasn't gone the BMW iDrive route yet (though the SI dial looks similar).

Headlight washers on HID's are a good idea if the car will be driven in the snow. In heavy snow your lights get caked up with snow.

Conventional lights generate heat which will eventually melt the snow and ice off but HIDs don't put out that much heat.

I also appreciate great winter illumination. I run yellow ion fog lights with HID headlights and have never had a problem. I can run the fogs independantly of the headlights if there is blinding snow blowing across the road. I find that just adding the fogs to the HIDs really helps break up the blue and lends a lot of depth. This is in a 99.5 Audi A4 Avant.

My wife's 97 Outback Ltd has big yellow Hellas with halogen headlights. Those big Hellas are pretty mean but I'd still pick the Audi's system any day.

We have alot of snow and winter here in northern Sweden and i think HID's are excellent. Only time they can irritate is in heavy wet fog or if the HID's are bad quality or wrong Kelvin (4500-5500 is best for me)

washers suck!!! my brother had a 325 bmw w/ auto washers and guess what...

those suckers went on after detailingnthe car for 3 hrs. needless to say, we were not pleased. washers are stupid, unless one has an off-road vehicle actively going through mud or is in a snowstorm in the middle of antartica.

If you live somewhere with snow and they use sand/salt (Boston, Chicago,etc), headlight washers are very nice.

Archived