LegacyGT.com

Pics of the VDC Stereo

rao

[quote name='TLS']I personally don't care for the clarity of MP3's.[/quote] If you are being sarcastic, :D! If not, realize that in most cases MP3's are never as clear as the source CD they came from. Most people (including me) can't usually tell the difference easily. The files are roughly 1/10th the size so you can have a CD with 100-150 MP3's on it instead of 10-15 tracks. A 6 CD changer loaded with an average of 120 MP3's each is quite a bit of music!

[quote name='rao']I received it today - Thanks Mastro Subaru - great folks to deal with. To my surprise it came with the front plate, I don't know if I should be happy because it wil be easy to install or cncerened becasue it should have been cheaper without the front plate (though the other faceplate may not work - who knows?) Should be easy to install, which I hope to do later ths week.[/quote] Rao, Glad to hear you got it OK! According to Subaru, the faceplate can only be removed with a special, yet to be released, tool...so currently all radio's are being shipped complete until the tools become widely availible. Sounds kind of odd to me...glad to hear everything is in and working. And on the "radio programming" question earlier....all 3 of our senior techs agree that swapping a radio (even with a different model #) would not require any special programming. (Unless you call setting the clock and station pre-sets "special programming! :lol: )

[quote name='rao']Well I removed the faceplate on the stock radio without any trouble and it still worked - I must be special :lol: Thanks again, if I need anyhing else I will give you folks a call.[/quote] Hey does the MP3 Player list the ID3 information? What kind of connections are on the back (if you haven't taken a picture of it yet, can you?).

[quote name='TLS']Am I missing something here? Is it just an MP3 player in addition to the factory radio? What is VDC? Did it come with the controls for HVAC too? Fill in the gaps for me and others who are in the dark.[/quote] VDC = Vehicle Dynamics control. One of the highest Outback Trim levels. It's basically a stability control system. Why it's only available on an upscale Outback model, I don't know (probably due to price). I think it's BS -- the MP3 Unit should have came standard on all upgraded Legacys and Outbacks (i.e. Limited Models). I'd like to have the MP3 capabilities, but other than that, nothing is different Rob

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone know if it is possible to add an aux input to the stock system? I have to use an FM modulator with my XM radio because my installer said there was not way to direct connect. In my WRX, I had a Panasonic head unit with an aux input the we used for the XM radio and the sound was terrific. The FM modulator degrades the sound. BTW, IMHO the stock audio system sounds terrific (with CDs). I have lots of aftermarket equipment that I pulled from my WRX that I did not even install in the LGT because the stock system sounded so good. Quite frankly, I couldn't believe it (and neither could the owner of the audio business who does my work). I only used my sub (bass tube mounted in the trunk) and an amp to drive it to complement the stock system and I'm very happy. Best sound I've had in a vehicle. And I've spent lots of money on after market audio equipment in many cars.... :)

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Sorry, but I don't find the factory sound system to be all that great. Sure, with a subwoofer to complement the system, it's acceptable, but the factory speakers have definitely got to go. Their dynamic range is horrible. The door speakers are very boomy. I've tried turning the bass down, but they're still boomy. The stock speakers in my 97 integra sounded a little cleaner. Maybe the factory head unit is nice, but paired with these cheap speakers, it doesn't show. Given that replacing the head unit could be a real bitch, the first thing I'd do is probably get some better speakers in the doors. Just my 2 cents. [quote name='emlevins']Anyone know if it is possible to add an aux input to the stock system? I have to use an FM modulator with my XM radio because my installer said there was not way to direct connect. In my WRX, I had a Panasonic head unit with an aux input the we used for the XM radio and the sound was terrific. The FM modulator degrades the sound. BTW, IMHO the stock audio system sounds terrific (with CDs). I have lots of aftermarket equipment that I pulled from my WRX that I did not even install in the LGT because the stock system sounded so good. Quite frankly, I couldn't believe it (and neither could the owner of the audio business who does my work). I only used my sub (bass tube mounted in the trunk) and an amp to drive it to complement the stock system and I'm very happy. Best sound I've had in a vehicle. And I've spent lots of money on after market audio equipment in many cars.... :)[/QUOTE]

I think it depends on the type of music that you listen to that will determine whether you like the stereo system or not. Personally, I've gone from stereos competing in the 100 watt class (where accuracy matters and bass doesn't) to keeping a stock stereo in a Mazda Protoge5. The stock stereo in the Limited beats the Protoge5 hands down and dare I say it's almost as good as the 100 watt system I had installed but like I said, it depends on the music you listen to.

Maybe, I'm not quite up to speed with the stereo options on the Legacy. But mine has a single CD player, not MP3 compatible. Could I swap this for an 6 cd in-dash stereo with MP3 compatability? If I want only the 6 cd-in dash option and do not focus on the MP3 compatability, what will that cost and would it be possible to change without any modifications?

[quote name='Fraberg']Maybe, I'm not quite up to speed with the stereo options on the Legacy. But mine has a single CD player, not MP3 compatible. Could I swap this for an 6 cd in-dash stereo with MP3 compatability? If I want only the 6 cd-in dash option and do not focus on the MP3 compatability, what will that cost and would it be possible to change without any modifications?[/QUOTE]It hasn't been confirmed yet if the 6CD in-dash stereo or the one with MP3 capability is able to work with the 2.5i. The reason for this is the climate control system.
-ben

• 4 months later...
[font=Century Gothic][size=2]rao, Good Move, Great Work! I loved my 10 cd/mp3 deck with FM modulator in my last vehicle. Great to be on the road with 150+ albums at my finger tips. (On the road always). I was crushed when I learned I could not install it in my new OB. Since I hate dragging a lot of CD's around, I tried a small lighter plug-in FM-transmitter with a built in USB port for memory stick or any other USB device. I'm plugging in a Lexar 1GB Jump Drive and accessing 13-15 full albums on the road. Yeah, loss in quality, but I am old enough to remember my first 8-Track car stereo, so I can handle it until make the move you did to get it resolved. I do like the easy, quick, music of my choice in any vehicle I happen to jump into (including rentals) at any given moment by just plugging this unit into the lighter. The Lighter Plug-In Modulator cost [b][u]24 bucks[/u][/b] at Checker Auto [/size][/font][url="http://www.virtualrealitysoundlabs.com/vr3_fmmod.html"][font=Century Gothic][size=2]http://www.virtualrealitysoundlabs.com/vr3_fmmod.html[/size][/font][/url] [font=Century Gothic][size=2]For that amount, I can put up with the dampened quality until I can make the move you did and just purchase the VDC Radio. Not that expensive since I have not invested 300+ in an i-Pod that I cannot direct wire into my OB. The stock 6-CD changer with sub/w sounds fine to me in the OB and I am confident that the VDC unit will be just fine playing my mp3's.[/size] [/font] [font=Century Gothic][size=2]I am a bit handicapped and have a hard time crawling around trying to do work under/in the dash of the OB if I drive to Naperville from AZ after I purchase the VDC unit, will you help me get it into my OB?[/size] :lol: [/font]

Archived