LegacyGT.com

Tokico Adjustable Shocks/Struts install

rossodave

pinks were designed for Bilsteins, which use the tophats in question. So, use the 'JDM' front tophat and re-use your rear USDM tophats and it's as intended for ride height. Using USDM tophats on USDM struts with pinks in front will drop the car 5/8" more than Subaru intended.

and my thanks to pgt for helping (ok, doing almost all the work) installing these on my car. I still need to tinker with the stiffness setting for the fronts. so far, subjectively speaking, they are only a tiny bit less firm than the spec B rev. A bilsteins. we'll see how it settles and after an alignment.

Did anyone else get these with the adjustment tool? mine did not come with one so we had to use a 3mm allen wrench to adjust the firmness....

getting out of the legacy game :cool:

How is your ride height relative to stock? Your description of the performance is exactly what I'm after though it makes me a bit nervous that you've got them on full. I'd probably never put in stiffer springs that yours though. You have s-techs all around?

Thanks.

I have S-techs all around. They drop the ride height about 1.5inches if I remember correctly. I am beginning to wonder though, if I have the stiffest springs with the stiffest shocks turned all the way up, maybe I should be running coilovers?

I like it this way for now.

I have S-techs all around. They drop the ride height about 1.5inches if I remember correctly. I am beginning to wonder though, if I have the stiffest springs with the stiffest shocks turned all the way up, maybe I should be running coilovers?

Let me know if you decide to switch

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

I dont think the S-techs, H-techs or any OEM spring fitment is stiffer than 4kg front and rear. Certainly coilovers all around 6kg and up. Since I dont think there a change in the mounting points from a coilover setup to a oem-shock/spring setup, it's safe to say that spring rates and suspension travel are all proportionate. So if you are at full stiff of what you have, it maybe better off to get a coilover setup that doesnt need to be dialed up so high.

I know for my Zeals, I run full soft on the street which is more than plenty comfortable for everyday driving and then some. The valving is wonderful that I can easily turn it up without any need of an adjustment tool since the knobs are nicely designed.

It's quite possible that even the Bilsteins and these Tokicos were just designed for one idea: to replace the stock shocks at a fairly cost effective price.

Keefe

It's quite possible that even the Bilsteins and these Tokicos were just designed for one idea: to replace the stock shocks at a fairly cost effective price.

I believe they were designed for the stock JDM springs, which is why everyone is very close to the "hard" end of the adjustment for daily driving on aftermarket springs....

I just got off the phone with Tokico with less than pleasing results. Basically, they tried to install a set and found out... they don't fit. :rolleyes:

I posted more info in the other thread, and will start a new one to simplify finding the info for folks.

I have the Tokico's paired with the H&R springs. Started off at 4 turns from full hard like they recommend. Felt like I was driving my Dad's old Cadillac!! Great ride, but not the change I was looking for. I have settled on 2.25 turns from full hard (counter-clockwise) after a bunch of driving on Mulholland and around town this week. I just keep stiffening them up to eliminate the lack of rebound control at lower settings, but hopefully I won't end up at full hard. The adjustment does seem to be non-linear though. For example a clockwise turn (stiffer) starting at 2 turns from hard has a much larger effect than one at 4 turns from hard. A quarter turn at 2.25 is very noticeable.

With 40 series tires on 18 inch wheels, the ride on broken concrete is a bit harsh, but decent everywhere else. With the stock RE92's the ride is still pretty good and even better than stock in most situations. My wife hasn't complained yet so the ride on 18's must not be all that bad. If I could just get that damn sunroof shade rattle fixed.....

Below is a pic of the slits I made in the rear trim to allow me to adjust the rear shocks. Can't even see the slits once the rest of the trim is in the car and the flap is pushed flush.

Kevin

_DSC0241.JPG.1e2b97767e0cd4acd305a997412c93f5.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Whazzup rossodave and hello sifu!!!

I currently have pink springs on...I am happy with the height of my car...not too low that my tires could rub the fender while taking hard corners over bumps and high enough so I can still goto the drive-thru car wash and not worry about my front lip. My car is a daily driver...I foresee maybe taking it auto-xing...only to test the limits of each future mods here and there and of course to know the limits of the car and sharpen my driving capablities/skills.

If I purchase these tokicos from JSC for $590 ... Do they also selll the USDM Spec-B top hats? Do I need just the FRONT only ...i.e. I don't have to worry about the rear tophats? Will my ride height change...hi/lo...akward/normal? What is your input sifu? Not looking to spend $2000-$3000 like you on coilovers!!!

Thanks for your review and your response,

CRAZY KEN

You will need the front USDM Spec-B/JDM Bilstein tophats and front springs specific to that fitment (your current springs for the USDM GT will have the car sitting 5/8" higher in front w/ these tophats).

You do not need to change anything on the rear...

You're correct, I didn't think about the pinks already being JDM fitment. The tophats should still raise the front compared to the USDM tophats.

I got my tophats from subaruparts.com. Right around $100. As soon as my new front iON springs arrive, I'll be swapping them out.

• 1 year later...
Will post up my results with Tokico's/Swifts in a few weeks. Thanks for the (old) post rossodave. It seems to be the concensus that JDM springs + JDM struts + JDM/USDM Spec.B tophats = level or "intended" ride height.
I had to double up on rear seat pads to get a level ride. Running pinks/Tokico's.

• 2 weeks later...
Rossodave, I have been test-assembling the front struts (Tokico/Swifts/Spec.B tophats) and I agree that the spacer looks superfluous. Are you still running without the spacer? Care to chime in over at this thread?

Maybe Tokico's are different, but I just wrote about the spacer not needed with Bilsteins/Spec B hats...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83765

Archived