LegacyGT.com

FJ Cruiser or Outback XT

As I think i posted before, I did end up going with the FJ. I've been happy with it so far and I've taken if off roading a few times now to Rausch Creek Offroad park, "just because I can" and it's been a blast. I think that mechanically the Subaru would have been superior because the technology is more advanced. Although I am pretty psyched that I was able to transfer my Double Din Nav system out of my tacoma and into the FJ, which I would not have been able to do with the XT. The one wierd thing is that other owners are a mixed bag, either they're friendly and they wave back or they are totally rude if you try to talk to them. It's like they bought it just so they could be seen in something that says "look at me" but are angry to see that they're not the only ones to own one. No offense, but usually women. Bunch of vain jerks. But the owners on the forums are great.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you asked the wrong crowd. LGT owners are not the biggest Outback fans, even though they are Subarus. If you had presented the same question on subaruoutback.org I think you would have had a different general response.

That said, I have nothing against WRX's either - nearly bought one for my wife, but comparing the off road capabilities of a WRX to an Outback as nearly equivalent is unfair. I've gone on many a truck & jeep trail offroad with my Outback despite everyone's warning that I shouldn't it did amazingly well & that was in my '97 with lower ground clearance & approach/departure angles than the '05/07.

As a couple have said, there's not going to be any issue with 99% of fireroads even in a blah sedan. What struck me the most about your post though was how snow is your primary concern. Well - when it comes to snow less than 2 ft deep, I haven't seen any vehicle perform better than the Outback with it's AWD system. I've driven past more than one 4wd truck on mountain roads in the snow and just laughed as the Outback tore it up...with dedicated snow tires, it would do even better.

I doubt you're going to recall your FJ, but if your primary concern is a winter car and secondary is something that can handle mild off road trails while hauling kids, bikes, and/or kayaks...I think the Outback would have been the better choice.

By the way - Kelly Blue Book rated the Outback as the best resale value wagon on the market in 2005 and 2006. http://www.kbb.com/kbb/MediaCenter/PressReleases.aspx?ContentUniqueName=2005&ContentId=28

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

I have to agree with jazzymt, while the OB is not a dedicated off-road vehicle, its traction is quite frankly better than a lot of 4WD trucks. My '98 OBS with 15" wheels and fully aired tires (36psi front) went by a lot of full-size 4X4's stuck in the sand at the Pismo Beach Dunes. There is one hill that my old '05 OBXT could climb and crest from a standing start at the bottom that my '03 GX 470 w/ Revos, cannot. The latter being because the GX has Traction Control, whereby if not one tire has traction, you can push on the accelerator all you want; but your forward progress has long ceased. It is a truly bizarre experience: engine reving, ABS cluncking away, slight jerking, no spinning tires, dead in the water. This is in 4low, center diff locked, 1st gear (VSC off).

Congratulations, you made the right choice :icon_cool

As I think i posted before, I did end up going with the FJ. I've been happy with it so far and I've taken if off roading a few times now to Rausch Creek Offroad park, "just because I can" and it's been a blast. I think that mechanically the Subaru would have been superior because the technology is more advanced. Although I am pretty psyched that I was able to transfer my Double Din Nav system out of my tacoma and into the FJ, which I would not have been able to do with the XT. The one wierd thing is that other owners are a mixed bag, either they're friendly and they wave back or they are totally rude if you try to talk to them. It's like they bought it just so they could be seen in something that says "look at me" but are angry to see that they're not the only ones to own one. No offense, but usually women. Bunch of vain jerks. But the owners on the forums are great.

Frankly, the FJ is a true off-road vehicle while the Subie is essentially designed to be retained on-road. You could make a few excursions into muddy roads etc but I doubt it is engineered to take too much abuse, unlike the FJ.

I am surprised you even cross-shopped between these two. But the FJ is a good choice and I would not fault a person for choosing it, as long as they use it for its intended purpose - off-roading.

• 2 months later...
I am a woman owner of an FJ Cruiser and I always "Wave" or flash my lights at my fellow Cruiser heads! So be careful not to put us all in a group. (my wife) I can't believe I'm posting this on this site...must be a disease! Also - just so you all know...I took it on the Rubicon prior to my husband taking it off road! The LGT is now my "husband's" house car!

I know it's past the point, but my wife & I were looking at ther FJ plus the RAV 4 6 . The Rav four, to me was a far better car than the FJ. It has a V-6, great 0-6 times, allwheel drive better cargo room, better visibilty, no suicide doors (what do you do in tight parking situations?) The rav is better than all three, for me though, I chose the Outback because I wanted a CAR. My wife really wanted the FJ, but when push comes to shove the RAV is way better in almost every way (except offroad).

The Fj is just an emotional purchase car. I would tire of it real quick. I rented a Chevy HHR on a trip due to it's looks, but tired real quickly of not being able to see stop lights. The Fj will due the same with the huge blind spots, poor fuel economy & if you have rear seat passengers, the suicide doors.

Just my opinion.

The guy at work put studded Hakka II's on his, so he's ready for Winter - we just haven't had any. I asked him about mpg and he said in mixed driving he's averaging 17 on Regular.

I would walk before i would be seen in a FJ. Trust me that means alot. Im pretty fat.

Best post in thread!

Who Dares Wins

スバル

My wife gets 22-23 mpg mixed driving with her 2007 RAV4 V6. WAY more useful vehicle than the FJ. Sure handles better than my OBXT...

Should be noted we have the Sport model RAV which has firmer suspension & 18" wheels

Well this post came back from the grave. Well, It's been several months with the FJ now and I'm still very happy with it. It doesn't put a smile on my face as often as my old WRX used to, but it gives smiles for different reasons. To 99% of the population the RAV4 will be a better choice because they don't need a truck based SUV, a car based one is fine (like the Rav4), but if you're going to buy a car based SUV, you could just be buying a subaru wagon, you're not giving up much in terms of space to go from a new Rav to an Outback, and the Outback looks nicer, is faster (IMO), gets better mileage, and handles a lot better. But go ahead, try to impose your will apon others, they'll love it. That being said, I always liked going offroad and I've done it far more now than I would have since I have a vehicle that is capable of it. Since I have the Mini Cooper, the Outback would have just been another car ( a slower and poorer handling one at that ) The vehicles compliment one another nicely, I commute and take 80% of my long trips with the MINI, and when the weather is poor or I've got some nasty dirt/rutted roads I plan to travel on or I want to go to paragon or Rauch creek, I take the FJ. Mileage... 16city and 20hwy with regular gas.

I'd personally get a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS over a Rav4 any day.

I think the OPutlander may become what the Outback used to be - a relatively inexpensive, capable and flexible vehicle.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

my friend had an FJ (sold it because they payments were to high and got the same price he paid plus financing). but it was extremely good off road (we live in fargo, went out after it rained for 2 days into a harvested field, mud was caked onto so thick we it took us 3-4 hrs to just wash the mud off). it gets pretty decent gas mileage for such a capable off road vehicle (compared to other suv's and trucks). not a bad choice imho.

• 3 years later...

Subaru resale value where I live is VERY high. (Central NY).

I am lusting after an FJ but I only bought my Legacy last year, if I mention changing cars again to my wife I think she will divorce me. :rofl:

My next car is going to be something larger though.

• 1 year later...
Well this post came back from the grave. Well, It's been several months with the FJ now and I'm still very happy with it. It doesn't put a smile on my face as often as my old WRX used to, but it gives smiles for different reasons. To 99% of the population the RAV4 will be a better choice because they don't need a truck based SUV, a car based one is fine (like the Rav4), but if you're going to buy a car based SUV, you could just be buying a subaru wagon, you're not giving up much in terms of space to go from a new Rav to an Outback, and the Outback looks nicer, is faster (IMO), gets better mileage, and handles a lot better. But go ahead, try to impose your will apon others, they'll love it. That being said, I always liked going offroad and I've done it far more now than I would have since I have a vehicle that is capable of it. Since I have the Mini Cooper, the Outback would have just been another car ( a slower and poorer handling one at that ) The vehicles compliment one another nicely, I commute and take 80% of my long trips with the MINI, and when the weather is poor or I've got some nasty dirt/rutted roads I plan to travel on or I want to go to paragon or Rauch creek, I take the FJ. Mileage... 16city and 20hwy with regular gas.

How did this turn out for you? I'm in the same boat... Love the look and feel of the FJ but the OB seems like the more practical choice. I currently own a 2007 HHR and I really love the car, but hate the vis. My first thought getting in the FJ was "crap, same vis just higher up". I will be moving from Florida to Colorado in the next couple weeks and I need a difference vehicle, just not sure which one to go with. Both have pros and cons but one of the biggest pros on the FJ for me is the rinse out factor (teenage football player can do serious damage to carpeted interior) and it just looks like fun. I was also eyeing a Wrangler sport but it really lacks luxury items for the price. Sorry to revive such an old thread but it's the first thing that comes up when you compare the vehicles in google!

WOW. Really back from the dead. I actually got rid of the FJ and got a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

The FJ had too many things against it,

-The mileage, my Jeep gets better, and the new Pentastar in the '12 Wrangler gets MUCH better.

- The visibility, drove me nuts not being able to see out of it, the Jeep is a dream for visibility

- Offroad, I got tired of not being able to keep up with Jeeps

- As my family grew larger the inconvenience of the suicide doors became unbearable, getting 3 kids in car seats out just wasn't happening.

Even the resale value is better with the Wrangler, it's actually worth it to buy one new because they just don't lose value.

The only thing I think was better on the FJ was the ride, the jeep is definitely rougher on the bumpy stuff.

Absolutely love my Jeep and have no regrets there.

Archived