LegacyGT.com

FJ Cruiser or Outback XT

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just got the model you were looking for: Outback XT, diamond grey metallic, MT. Perfect fit for me as it is my only car, i really only want to be able drive in easy offroad trails or in small amounts of snow, and I wanted a reasonable fast and fun car. But the FJ sounds like a great ride also, but I wanted the all around abilities of the XT. Cheers.

IMG_0895.thumb.jpg.e4bbd08600b99d8d79b9beb2f19d9b72.jpg

Go test drive that exact model Outback you want. Sure, it's a drive, but at least you know which one you like better. Plus, you don't want the "What If?" for three years.

I flew to PA last week to buy my Legacy and drove 6 hours back; it was definitely worth it!

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

Subies hold their value? I thought so too... til I tried to trade in my 8-month old LGT w/17,000 miles on it.

"$15,000 is the best we can do" was about the best I heard.

Mind you, this was after I paid $25k for the car about 8 months earlier.

Right now we're @ 11 months and 22k miles. Blue book says $14k. Which means dealer will offer 13k on trade-in if im lucky.

vs. my Civic Si which was 2 years old w/35,000 miles and had $10,000 of body work (which I fully disclosed). I bought it for 17k and traded-in for almost 12k.

Right now I wish I had an FJ instead of my LGT. >:|

Hello consumer. And I say unto you, please use exact change.

This is my shark.

Damn, I am stuck with my car then less than 6k miles since Dec 05. I guess I will drive more often I just hope gas stays this range.

Must be the AWD and gas prices only thing I can think of...Private party is the way to go I guess but then agian the dealers resell high...

I want an FJ once I saw those pictures, I am envious of more ground clearance...

I just got the model you were looking for: Outback XT, diamond grey metallic, MT. Perfect fit for me as it is my only car, i really only want to be able drive in easy offroad trails or in small amounts of snow, and I wanted a reasonable fast and fun car. But the FJ sounds like a great ride also, but I wanted the all around abilities of the XT. Cheers.

My wifes next car :icon_mrgr

I was very surprised to hear about the bad resale as well. I did very well selling my WRX wagon a few years ago. But it was a good eye opener. I was basing my resale values on what I had seen from Cars.com. And it's typical that there may be some people who are simply asking too much.

Yeah, I removed that info about the trades in my one post, because I wanted the conversation to stay focussed on the subaru. But yes, I bought a 2007 Honda Fit for $15,000 for my wife 5 months ago, and after 2 road trips, it has 10k miles on it and I'm trading it in for the FJ and getting something automatic *shiver* for the wife. I'm getting $14,000 in trade from both dealerships. Supposedly there is like a 2 month waiting list for these cars at most dealerships, so I did pretty well on this one. I paid no tax on that $15K either because I traded in an equal value car at the time.

Resale on most cars these days is low, especially during the first few years, unless they are among the currently "hot" models. It's supply and demand. There are many good used cars out there, at the same time there's a surplus of new cars with attractive incentives. If you buy a new car, it usually makes sense to hold onto it for a few years when the depreciation curve begins to level off. Your average cost is a lot lower if you can hold onto the car for 6-8 years instead of succumbing to the "gotta-have-its" for another new car more frequently.

Moral of the story, if you buy a new car, buy something you'll enjoy that will serve your purposes for the next 6-8 years.

Drove an FJ and liked it. Dealers in Jax are getting $5,000 over sticker for them so I said the heck with that and bought 06 XT LTD for 25.5 and got 16.5 in trade for an 02 Mini S that I paid 19.4 for new. Thinking about trading XT on a Ridgeline and I've been offered 25 in trade against a new 06 at invoice. BTW, the Toyota dealer told me that the EPA MPG ratings are a total joke on the 4WD FJ's and to expect about 14-15 overall real world MPG.

Take a hard look at the Xterra, much better suv then the FJ in many ways. And the VQ motor kicks ass. you should beable to pick one up for much less than the FJ. I did trade in my 05 Xterra for my OBXT, all that you really loose is the real trail capablity, but overall the OBXT does a nice job covering most terrain. But, I did love the Xterra 6spd man. The OBXT is just more fun to drive than any SUV, plus the heated seats are nice :lol:

wow I haven't posted in awhile and spotted this thread that changed it all... Like people said on page 1, the FJ is a novel idea...the markup on them is ludacris. Like cwmiller said, try the Xterra. I didn't like the ride in the FJ and no matter where I sat (driver/passenger/rear passenger), the seat was not comfortable at all. I'm just a plain 6' 200 lb male...I shouldn't have a problem with comfort but I guess the FJ proved me wrong ha.

Drove an FJ and liked it. Dealers in Jax are getting $5,000 over sticker for them so I said the heck with that and bought 06 XT LTD for 25.5 and got 16.5 in trade for an 02 Mini S that I paid 19.4 for new. Thinking about trading XT on a Ridgeline and I've been offered 25 in trade against a new 06 at invoice. BTW, the Toyota dealer told me that the EPA MPG ratings are a total joke on the 4WD FJ's and to expect about 14-15 overall real world MPG.

Man, I am going to hire you to do business for me....

Excellent values/negotiations!!! hehehehehe

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Another MCS owner here....and I have a 4Runner as my bad weather, work, rough terrain vehicle.

Check them out....great abilities off-road, better handling than the FJ...especially with the XReas Sport Suspension, more elegant, etc....

Mine is an 03 Sport V8 4x4...a great vehicle.

(I hang-out here as I am considering a Spec. B instead of my MCS. Baby on the way!)

While the resale on the FJ is slightly better than the XT in the mid-Atlantic, the fact that he's paying invoice for the XT and MSRP for the FJ wipes that difference out pretty quickly.

Also, I'm not sure what the rules for snow tires are in PA, but here in Oregon we can run with studded tires from November to April, and the XT is a whole other beast on studded winter tires. Speaking from about 2k road miles on snow experience.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Do they all have the big FJ graphics on the side? I saw one last night with 6" high letters on the lower door.

So, he's not going off-road; regularly drives twisty roads in bad weather; has to load kids in and out of the back seat routinely; and has to load and unload roof racks. Edmunds.com gives the five year cost to own of both within $500. So why is the FJ a better choice?

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• 4 weeks later...

Guy at work has one. He's planning to put Nokian WR's on for the Winter. He confirms the rear visibility is poor and the suicide doors aren't very convenient. He tows a good-sized trailer, though so an OB wasn't an option.

Give all the comments here about how high and tippy the Outback is.....

fjc_obw.thumb.jpg.13399d33ba3f380de37cc79d18d02943.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I was very surprised to hear about the bad resale as well. I did very well selling my WRX wagon a few years ago. .

The WRXs/STis and Imprezas in general, hold their value much better than the Legacy variants. They don't typically get huge cashback offers or firesale prices at the time of the sale either, unlike the Legacy/Outback series.

So your doing well when selling your WRX wagon was not an aberration.

The WRXs/STis and Imprezas in general, hold their value much better than the Legacy variants. They don't typically get huge cashback offers or firesale prices at the time of the sale either, unlike the Legacy/Outback series.

So your doing well when selling your WRX wagon was not an aberration.

Likewise, after looking at WRX/STI resale values, I expected the Legacy to be similar.

Oh well.. We're planning on keeping the car for 10 years anyway, so it's not a big deal, but still a bit of a disappointment..

HV

My Legacy GT has 25,000 miles and has a host of problems, namely a poorly-built interior that rattles and discolors, the plastic fasteners holding in the rear fairings and tire deflectors have fallen off, terrible service from SoA and the dealerships, and the resale value (at least in my area) is low. I have never owned a more problematic vehicle in my life.

Save yourself some misery and buy the FJ Cruiser. The Toyota Camry V6 and Sequoia I've owned have never needed anything except for routine maintenance.

My Legacy GT has 25,000 miles and has a host of problems, namely a poorly-built interior that rattles and discolors, the plastic fasteners holding in the rear fairings and tire deflectors have fallen off, terrible service from SoA and the dealerships, and the resale value (at least in my area) is low. I have never owned a more problematic vehicle in my life.

Save yourself some misery and buy the FJ Cruiser. The Toyota Camry V6 and Sequoia I've owned have never needed anything except for routine maintenance.

By contrast, I'm on my third Outback wagon. The one prior to my 06 was a 1997 sold with 165,000 miles to a relative in VT, who sold it running perfectly with 187,000 miles - to buy her 5th Subaru!

But my 06 hasn't been perfect - the power plug I use for my GPS came loose - fixed while at the dealer for an oil change.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Archived