LegacyGT.com

Godspeed Michael Schumacher !

f1anatic

I wonder how much of Senna's and Prost's decrease in motivation and testing late in their careers was due to their hateful battles with one another. Senna HATED Prost who HATED Senna. That sort of tension has to be even more draining on top of the alread hard edge spirit of F1. The Big Schu never had to face this in a teammate or with another driver.

Michael also had it relatively easy over his career compared to Senna and Prost. They battled each nearly their entire careers. They also had drivers like Lauda, Piquet, Mansell to fight with. But imagine the wins either could've had if the other wasn't in F1. Imagine Prost at McLaren from 1984 until 1991, at the height of McLaren's power. Or Senna.

Michael's finally getting competition in the form of Alonso and Raikkonen but he's retiring. I don't think his statistics would be nearly as impressive if he had top drivers competing with him during his long career. He'd be just as good, but he wouldn't have the overwelming stats.

plus he had superior machines. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Michael's best years (competition wise) were 1995, 1997-1998, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2006

Now I wouldn't call all these years "competition" cause the other drivers were so damn good, but because partly, the Ferrari wasn't as good. Hill, Villeneuve, Montoya, Coulthard, Ralf, Alonso, Raikkonen come to mind as winners over the years but only Hakkinen comes to mind as someone who would have made Michael sweat on a race day.

Of course there are the Mansell, the Prost and the Senna of the decade and a half ago. Michael picked up wins when they were around...but he was a young driver. Experience comes with age...and while it has been said that Michael did not have any serious competition...I have to say: to be an F1 champion, you must first be the best driver you can be. And Michael took such personal challenge and delievered. In terms of driving skills, he cannot improve...as for the ruthless character...he is 7 x WC because of that. Anyone else would do the same. You can't be a champion without controversy...

The kids are good...but each probably has 20-25 more victories - 7 years in them and will call it a day.

I was priviledged to see him win in person so many times...a real honor. I am sad beyond words to see him hang up his helmet.

As for your joke comment about me having his baby...well...I'd say you are quite right. I am a HUUU...UGE fan of Michael Schumacher.

I have in front of me on my desk...the renewal postcard that I got for the 2007 tickets at Indy (i renewed them) but the postcard shows Michael leaping in the air, his victory trademark, at this year's Indy F1 GP. He looked so happy...yet that is when he decided to retire...somehow it is hard to grasp.

f1anatic,

I think you're right about Mika Hakkinen somewhat. He was better than Villeneuve et al, but still not on a Prost/Senna/Clark/Fangio/Schumacher level. Mika had an Adrian Newey car. Nuf said.

And you're probably right about Alonso and Raikkonen, but I rate Alonso over Raikkonen (at least as fast, cooler head). Time will tell.

I always love it when great drivers like Senna, Prost, Schumacher are in slightly inferior cars. That's when you see their genius; they adjust their technique during a season (or race) to compensate for handling issues. For example, in 2003 or 2004, the Ferrari was hands down the best car and easy to set up. Rubens Barrichello was much closer to Michael at each race. But the next year the car was fast but not as easy to drive. Michael left Rubens in the dust. Or Senna in a Lotus, '92 McLaren, or '94 Williams (:( ), Prost in a Renault (not a Williams-Renault!), Schumacher in a 1982-83 Benetton, '96-99 Ferrari or the 2005 Ferrari.

Guest *Jedimaster*
^Oh, go back to your Star Wars collection, Obi Wan. :lol:

He said he was retiring today at the end of the season, as you no doubt know.

f1antic :wub: s Michael and would no doubt have his child if asked, physically possible or not. :icon_wink

No ,I really didn't know-I've heard the name and knew he drove race cars, but I don't follow any motor"sports".

No ,I really didn't know-I've heard the name and knew he drove race cars, but I don't follow any motor"sports".

Well then welcome to our educational thread.

BigJon, I want Alonso to ultimately win the championship, but I want it to be close and I want to see him BEAT Schumacher on the track. But if it's a good championship battle, really, I won't care which one wins it. I just hope Michael drives CLEAN. If he takes Alonso out intentionally and wins the title, I want to see him stripped of the championship.

Turns out that was a new spec engine in Alonzo's car, not the uber reliable spec they've been running all season.

Didn't know that. Now I'm wondering why you'd run that engine with only a couple of point lead in the drivers championship with four races to go.

If true, probably because at the Monza test a few weeks ago, Renault and other Michelin teams had trouble with their tires on a newly resurfaced track and were way off Ferrari/Bridgestone pace. They might've thought it worth the chance if Michelin couldn't improve the tire situation and gambled. But I'm just guessing.

fweasel, where'd you see the info on the Renault motor. Autosport's site doesn't mention it (or I missed it).

Didn't know that. Now I'm wondering why you'd run that engine with only a couple of point lead in the drivers championship with four races to go.

teams are under the gun to get new spec engines homologated before the 07 engine developement freeze. You need two complete race distances on a new spec before you can submit it for approval.

Yeah, nothing like a failed attempt at saving money by limiting engine developement in the pinnacle of motorsport technology.

ignore him, he'll go away.

fweasel, where'd you see the info on the Renault motor. Autosport's site doesn't mention it (or I missed it).

Just heard it from Varsha on tonight's Wind Tunnel. Also speculation he was toying with the rev limiter in an attempt to catch the leaders.

ignore him, he'll go away.

teams are under the gun to get new spec engines homologated before the 07 engine developement freeze. You need two complete race distances on a new spec before you can submit it for approval.

Yeah, nothing like a failed attempt at saving money by limiting engine developement in the pinnacle of motorsport technology.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the direction in which F1 is going isn't on Michael's liking. I recall him being excited about traction control and launch control back at Silverstone 2001 as it would allow him to drive faster, in more control of the car at the limit.

Michael is a gladiator from the times when F1 cars were RACE cars with the pinnacle of technology: wide, slicks, ABS, TC, active suspension, the engines had 900 bhp, qualifying was friday and saturday for 1 h each, there were warm-ups before the race on Sunday and people could set up their cars any way they wanted. Engines were purposefully built - qualif engines, Monza special engines, NOT the bullshit engine freeze of 2007 and the one ECU for all and standard brakes for all and 7 qualifying formats in 4 seasons and 2 races per engine and grid penalties.

I will be honest with you: I have not enjoyed F1 as much since the end of 2002. Michael won 2 more championships meanwhile...but I gave up on F1 a little bit...no more waking up for qualifying (though I started watching again this year), no more racing to Indy to catch the morning warm-up practice...F1 for me has become too complicated, too many restrictions too many wrong moves in the name of cost reduction.

i always saw Michael retiring at the end of 2007 - before the new rules of 2008 and the ban of tobacco sponsorship. I suppose the red barron may have chosen the moment better.

Good riddance to the dirtiest driver since Ayrton Senna. His ego is bigger than Pamela Andersons bra size. It is indeed a pity he did not splatter his sorry arse before retirement.

You may not like him, but don't you think it's over the top to wish that he had "splattered his ass?" Get a grip on yourself.

Just one question b4 I dare to criticize Michael, f1anatic. Are you armed?

and dangerous ? No...I am not...but I am inertia driven. I also do have in the car a 20% pepper spray 250 mL (bear spec) just in case...You never know when you come across Villeneuve or Montoya zealots...

But otherwise I am as peaceful and cute as a bunny.

Criticizing Michael is permitted within reason.

Archived