LegacyGT.com

Mutant deer dog and the curb of death

So I was driving home from the store yesterday when this massive dog jumped out of nowhere right in front of my car. I guess he was practicing being a deer for his next life, which if not for my fast reflexes would have come sooner than later. Anyway, I wasn't thinking past "avoid the dog" and thus ended up hitting a curb going pretty fast. The wheel is bent awkwardly back into the car, and the adjacent body panel is slightly warped. Subaru is supposed to call me back soon about tow truck availability. I hope it's not thousands of dollars to repair. I should have just hit the bloody F***ing dog!!!

That's going to be at least $1K. The wheel is probably toast and probably the tire too, so that's already 1 rim and possibly 4 tires since you can't replace just one tire unless they are with 1/4" circumference.

Hitting the dog can also be quite expensive in damages.

Surprisingly the rim doesn't look bent. The tire is toast for sure but the car is low miles so I'm hoping I wont have to replace all the tires. I'm guessing it's going to be around a thousand... hopefully not more.

You don't just HIT mans best friend!!!!

How dare you even think of doing something like that.

Did lassie ever deserve to be ran over?

Did Homeward bound ever deserve it either?

Did the fox and the hound not get along even though they are from totally different bread's?

Next time just hit another curb, tie a rope or jumper cable's whichever you have to the dog and use him as a sled dog to pull your car home.

Besides do you really want blood and 'ish all over your car and windshield? I didn't think so....

But covered as a Comprehensive claim against your insurance and not a Collision. The Collision will cause your rates to go up for the next few years…So next time hit the animal.

I like those logical minded Mods. :lol: So caring. :D

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

But covered as a Comprehensive claim against your insurance and not a Collision. The Collision will cause your rates to go up for the next few years…So next time hit the animal.

Yup, my father did $2000 worth of damage to my old Explorer when he tagged a Golden 3 years ago (he had no choice it was either hit an oncoming car or the owners on the side of the road that were chasing the dogs)

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Okay AAA picked the car up and the stealership is going to look at it and give me an estimate. The tow truck guy didn't seem to think it was that bad. I'm so depressed though. Any advice or things I should tell the dealership to look at or inspect.

1)I worked for an insurance company for a few years I know how thoes ******* work

2)I am probably the biggest dog person on the site. I LOVE dogs

3)The owner of said dog is an idiot.

Hey now! I believe ya! :D Just jabbing at you a little. Oh, I know how they work too, it's just insane.

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

You always want to hit whatever is softer and does less damage. For instance, deer in the middle of a mountain road. You can either hit the deer or drive up the side of the mountain and flip the car over. I've seen people do the latter. I would hit the deer on the principles of Darwin. So far I've only flatten one ground squirrel with my Scooby. I definitely weren't going to swerve and hit something solid to avoid a f-ing squirrel. It's also not as satisfying as shooting them with a high power varmint gun.

If you get hit with a big bill, track down the owners of the dog, and have their insurance pony up. I love dogs, but failing to control your animal is tantamount to throwing it in front of the bus (LGT).
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

I hit a squirrel on my motorcycle once, that sucked. Blood + fur = loss of traction -> pucker factor high. I took out a red tail hawk carring a mouse one time with my old legacy. Funny how you duck even though the windsheild is there. No mutant deer-dogs though. Even if the neighbors dog likes to sleep in the street.

Sucks about your car. For better pricing on your body work I'd talk to an independant shop.

Well the dealership has looked at it and so far good news. They postulate that just a controlling arm and a new tire with perhaps a new tie rod will fix it. They said they don't know for sure until they can get it drivable but no other damage is apparent visually. So not much of an accident really I suppose. About 500 dollars to repair. The body panel is just lose so it's just a matter of putting it back on. The paint is fine. In fact the whole thing doesn't make much sense really. It was a steep curb yet there is no damage to the front of the car. No paint is scraped and the rim looks fine. Yet, somehow the controlling arm etc got totally messed up. Doesn't seem consistent given the circumstances.

I suppose the reason I swerved is because the dog came out of nowhere. I didn't have time to even compute whether it was a dog, a child, an alien from pluto pissed off that we downgraded their world from planet status. I just looked up from changing the CD and there was some creature it front of my car, and I freaked out swerved to the right because there was a car coming the other direction. I suppose it could of happened to anyone really.

I just hope they get the car back to the same level of awesomeness it emanated before.

So I was driving home from the store yesterday when this massive dog jumped out of nowhere right in front of my car. I guess he was practicing being a deer for his next life, which if not for my fast reflexes would have come sooner than later. Anyway, I wasn't thinking past "avoid the dog" and thus ended up hitting a curb going pretty fast. The wheel is bent awkwardly back into the car, and the adjacent body panel is slightly warped. Subaru is supposed to call me back soon about tow truck availability. I hope it's not thousands of dollars to repair. I should have just hit the bloody F***ing dog!!!

When I saw your post I thought it was about this:

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/AP_Photo/2006/08/17/1155855894_0269-1.jpg

August 16, 2006 TURNER, Maine --Residents are wondering if an animal found dead over the weekend may be the mysterious creature that has mauled dogs, frightened residents and been the subject of local legend for half a generation.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

OMG that dog is dead ugly man! I would have accelerated if I'd seen such a horror on the road haha!

I just want to say that the Subaru dealership in Columbus Georgia has a great service department compared to all other dealer service departments I've encountered. They had the new controlling arm and etc replaced by 8 monday morning, called me for an update, and then ordered a new rim and tire. Thats really speedy considering they had to order all the parts. Assuming they keep the pace up I may have the car back this week. Seems most dealer service departments are usually a negative experience so I'm relieved this particular one is doing such a good job so far. I hope they keep it up.

I hit a bird, or a bird hit my GTi way back when. Flew right into my wheel, promptly was cuisinarted by the spoke of the wheel, deposited betwixt my brake rotor and caliper and caused said vehicle to swerve mightily when I next applied the brakes (hard since I was out on a fun drive and didn't know I KO'd the sparrow). WEEEEEE! Fun to clean out with a stick on the side of the road, too.

Okay the mechanical aspects of the car are fixed, however, it seems that the body shop is trying to stick it to me in repairing some seemingly very minor damage. The fender is pushed out about 1 inch in diameter where it meets the door panel, probably from the wheel hitting the inside of the panel, and the body shop wants 960 dollars to repair the damage. They were talking about replacing the fender, repainting that whole area, and etc. Something doesn't sound right to me at all. From my uninformed observations it would seem a simple matter of bending the metal about 1 inch back into place. There is no paint damage or anything so why they want to repaint it is beyond me.

Basically, am I just incredible misinformed or is the body shop trying to screw me? Shouldn't it be possible to take the panel off and bend it 1 inch back into its original shape? I remember in my old car someone backed into my fender and I had to have it fixed. They just bent it back into place somehow and you could never tell it had ever been damaged. And the damage to the legacy is much less noticeable. Some advice would be much appreciated.

Archived