LegacyGT.com

My futile attempt at H-Tech Installation

Effin Ponderous

Sorry for beating a dead horse...

But I'm a little bit confused. Everyone agrees that the rear lower nut is a b*tch to get off. When I look at the service manual, the torque setting for that bolt appears to be 46 ft-lbs. I looked at two separate pages and they both showed 46 ft-lbs.

I scanned in my page to show you guys. It appears to be bolt number T-6 in the diagram shown.

This torque setting seems incredibly low especially since the front torque setting is like 129 ft-lb.

Am I looking at this wrong?

untitled1.thumb.jpg.8347c88fc747b783e11a9a6906ac1b37.jpg

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You must have a factory freak (or the 800 lbs gorilla was sick that day and the 1000 lbs gorilla was filling in). I had problems (but not unsurmountable) when I replaced my H-Tech. I drowned the bolts in PB blaster, let it sit for awhile, and used a 1/2" rachet, a deep 17mm (I think) 6 point socket, a 12" extension (to clear the fender wells), and a 3 foot breaker bar. Coupled with my 235 lbs of girth, the bolts did eventually come off. Just perserverance.

in the chilton manual that I have (2005) I have that bottom bolt listed as (Nm, kgm, lbft):

157+/-20, 16+/-2, 116+/-14

I can understand it was hard to take off since it's a locking nut, but to put it on at 50 lbs of torque is really low.

Keefe

FYI... I'm running 225/40-18's and the front is fine

I running 225/35/19 on 19x7.5 45offset and I don't rub at all.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

8.5":eek: offset is very important going that wide. My wheels just tuck and go in the fenders.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Just to share the experience I had a tough time with my HTechs too. First try with air tools and heat didn't work.

Tried again with a 5 foot pipe on a 2 foot breaker bar with a jack to support the extension and the came off. Still took a lot of leaning on the bar but the came off. Then I screwed up the fronts and cross threaded a strut but you are already good to go on that end.

So just get a long bar and give it some horsepower and it will work!

Hit a massive pothole today and came up with a couple hundred bucks in alignment and damage. When does it ever stop?!?!?! It didn't hurt the tire or the rim...wtf?!?!?

But she rides like a dream now and looks pretty sweet too!

Good Old NJ DOT. Looks good .

Denial is your best friend

GT Subie - Good Old NJ DOT. Looks good No way man, this was in Honeybrook PA...just outside of BF Nowhere.

msb175 - looks good. can't wait to get mine on there. what rims are those? They are ROH Adrenaline from Australia. I cant believe they took the shot and didn't crack...and neither did the Toyo's????

Hit a massive pothole today and came up with a couple hundred bucks in alignment and damage. When does it ever stop?!?!?! It didn't hurt the tire or the rim...wtf?!?!?

You're friggin' kiddin' me! :(

Oh man, bro, you've been having the worst luck, lately!

Time for some "pig's feet noodles." :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

The bad news...the pot hole blew out my alignment...

The good news...the rim is straight, the tire has no bubbles or bent cords and after putting in the H-Techs, I had to get it aligned anyway.

The bad news...the shop couldn't figure out what model legacy it was because I had debadged it. Rather than calling me, they spent 40 minutes on the phone with SOA and detrmined it was an STI (due to the STI badge I threw on it)!

The good news...I have an STI tuned alignment???

The bad news...I paid for the 40 minutes they were trying to figure out what car it was.

The good news...ohhh the handling!!!

Bad news: you got an STi tuned alignment.

Good news: Its not like they could change the caster anyway. The legacy has superior geometry compared to the STi.

Bad news: You could have spent the 40 minutes giving the guy custom specs.

Not to rob this post but I have some sqeeking and a rattle at the rear pasenger side when going over bumps, also when pushing down the rear end. I have tightened the bolts inside the trunk but that wasn't doing anything. I am going to take off the wheel and look today but is there anything that I can check on the shock itself?

SSA?

I took the wheel off and grab hold of everything... no sound. Only when the wheel is compressed. I jacked up the car and used a pipe (with fulcrum) to compress the tire into the well simulating a bump and it makes the noise. I don't know if it is possible for the top hat to rattle... anyone have that problem before?

BTW, your ride looks sweet... love the drop and the wheels...

Archived