LegacyGT.com

My futile attempt at H-Tech Installation

Effin Ponderous

Let me start off by saying that there was a time I was considered a decent mechanic. I worked on construction equipment for years (gas, elec, hydraulic) and started building cars in my late teens. I had put away my tools for a number of years but started modding again with my last car.

OK, so you all understand...I can handle a wrench pretty well, my problem has been time and a decent facility to work in. I had my Cusco's done in a couple of hours without instruction, and the majority of time was setting up. I started on my Tein H-Techs today and had to give it up after a few hours. I got the fronts done pretty easily, but just cannot get the lower bolts free on the rears. I've read all the posts warning me, I used my PB Blaster and let it soak for a couple of hours before even trying to get them off. The car has only been out of the showrrom for 3 months even though it's an 05'. There is no signs of rust, and I am using an air impact wrench. WTF am I missing here? I have even tried putting a breaker bar on it, jacking up the bar with the weight of the car. I tried changing the angle of the breaker bar and lowering the car down on it. Both tries didn't even budge it. These aren't left hand thread are they? I even tried to read them and they seem like right hand thread?

Anyone have any ideas, other than a heavier impact wrench? Without a lift, it's impossible to get any real leverage.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest *Jedimaster*

I don't know what's involved with breaking them loose on our cars, but in a pinch I've set a wrench handle against a hydraulic jack and broken nuts loose that way.

IBthat'stheworstideaever.

sgt just used a wrench and angled it against the ground on the bolt end. He then used a breaker bar on the nut end. You really need to jack the car high to get some decent work on it. See if you know someone with a lift. It will allow you better area to work in.

i just broke the rear strut bolts for the first time this past weekend. as others have mentioned, i used my floor jack with the breaker bar and both sides came off with little drama. i was actually surprised it was so easy!

I had the muffler shop at the end of the street loosen them for me before I got started. $10 well spent, IMHO. Discretion is the better part of valor, and all that.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Thank you to all, for the ideas. Not only did I use a jack on the breaker bar to break the bolt...I lifted the car off of the jack stands trying. So then I figured, I'd go the other way and reverse the breaker bar...lower the car on the bar. Even the weight of the car coming down did not break the nuts. So I drove home last night with only the fronts installed. It sure made a heck of a difference in the handling with only the fronts!

Robinlsb - I may try your idea today...I assume the concept is similar to the old "put 90 weight oil in the low compression engine" trick?

how do you fit a 4' breaker bar in the small space in the wheel well without it being on a lift?:confused:

i could barely fit a an 18" breaker bar in that space. an extension wouldn't work because the brake rotor/cover is in the way and i couldn't get enough of the socket on it.

Seriously, this is reminding me of the front sway bar bracket on my '65 Barracuda. You think three months is bad? Try forty years! After a week of PB blaster, breaker bars, a cracked socket (!), and a visit to the emergency room (I still have the effing scar), I used a torch to get it cherry-hot followed by dry ice on the bolt head only and the f*&cker cracked loose for me. I laid the offending nut on the driveway and talked trash to it for about ten minutes (my neighbors must've really wondered why I was looking at the ground screaming, "that's right, you bitch, you think you got me? Huh? Well, F&*K YOU, where are you now? You are on the F&*King driveway, that's right!").

That's about the time I noticed the horrifying burn on my knuckle, btw.

(my neighbors must've really wondered why I was looking at the ground screaming, "that's right, you bitch, you think you got me? Huh? Well, F&*K YOU, where are you now? You are on the F&*King driveway, that's right!").

That's about the time I noticed the horrifying burn on my knuckle, btw.

:lol:

but seriously, i'm gonna do this soon enough...if i have problems, the advice given here should help....hopefully

Archived