LegacyGT.com

Need Help with an Oil Change!!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A +1 for the Fumoto valve w/ drain tube. Mine is without and I always get a little puddle of used oil that doesn't get caught in the tub.

There's a post on here about the Aeroquip alternative, a bit more pricey, but whhhhhooohoo... racers use Aeroquip so it's gotta give +20ihp.

^^^That's reassuring to hear. I was thinking the same thing when oil started spraying all over my hands and the floor of the garage :lol:

One final doofus-question. I have my car up on jack stands (I rotated my tires while I was at it). Can I turn the engine over to check for leaks while it is suspended on the stands? Dumb question I know, but I didn't know what kind of forces are applied when an engine turns over.

Ah, to be a newb...

Glad to hear your first OCI went okay and future ones will be less traumatic. Also, congrats on finding your crush washer. That little bestard can be a royal PITA to find either on the pan itself or paint welded to the plug - looks just like it should be part of both.

WRT starting your car while up on jacks - should be okay to start it. Just don't put it in gear and turn the wheels. Things can get hinking realy quick if just one of those wheels manages to touch the ground (that corner slips off the jack for some reason). I defintely would not crawl around under the car while it's running up on jack stands.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Great, I'll try that next time (last time I just finished with the tire rotation and set the car back down before I turned the car over, just to be safe.

Little did I know that I'd be jacking the thing up the next morning anyway, because a rear tire was out of balance and the car was basically undriveable.

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

Little did I know that I'd be jacking the thing up the next morning anyway, because a rear tire was out of balance and the car was basically undriveable.

Wow - did a weight come off or something during the rotation or was something just not tightened down well enough? Seems strange that if it was okay on the front, it wouldn't be on the rear... unless you're doing a three wheel rotation.

Spare tire > RR: RR > RF; RF to the spare tire well... and the spare was out of balance... dunno... sounds strange.

SBT

I can't imagine how it happened either. I thought the matra was "a tire that is in balance tends to stay in balance" but who knows. I took it to a mechanic's shop and he said to just change it back, as an out of balance tire isn't as noticable on the rear. BS? Beats me.

FWIW, when I was rolling the tires back and forth to their respective axels during the rotation, I noticed that the two front tires just rolled straight, while the rears just fell over after less than one rotation. That is what led me to believe that they were out of balance.

I can't imagine how it happened either. I thought the matra was "a tire that is in balance tends to stay in balance" but who knows. I took it to a mechanic's shop and he said to just change it back, as an out of balance tire isn't as noticable on the rear. BS? Beats me.

FWIW, when I was rolling the tires back and forth to their respective axels during the rotation, I noticed that the two front tires just rolled straight, while the rears just fell over after less than one rotation. That is what led me to believe that they were out of balance.

Interesting. How many miles on the tires?

SBT

About 18k on three of them...about 1k ago I picked up one with 12k and put it on the rear after hitting a monster pothole. Hmm, could this have thrown the two rears out of balance? I mean, I had the new tire professionally mounted and balanced, and AFAIK all of the other tires were in balance when this was performed.

You moved these from the front to the rear correct?

Here's what I see as the issue. Don't believe it's a static balance per se. Believe it's a sizing issue.

If there is more than 1/4" of circumferential difference (side-to-side and front-to-rear), then you're going to get weird performance from your tires. Check out this link for the technical details http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18025

When you put your replacement tire on your front end, not a really big deal because it was working through an open front differential. Not good but probably negligble handling issue.

However, when you put the replacement tire on the rear limited slip axle, you now had rotational (tire outside circumference) differences between the left and right sides. Likely the 18,000 mile tire was significantly smaller circumference-wise, than the 12,000 mile tire. If the tires are different sizes, then there's no way the axle can turn smoothly. This would cause your car to hop, bounce and act really weird on you as both sides of the axle tried to turn "symmetrically" with each other. Not sure these were your exact symptoms, but I'd guess something like that.

Jack up the car, draw a tape measure around one tire and log the circumference. Then do the same with the opposite wheel on that axle. Repeat the process for the front tires. Use the formula from the link I provided above if you need to get an approximate "difference". But, bottom line, if you've got at least 1/4" of difference, just replace the whole set. You'll get your car back to the handling it used to have AND you won't rip up your AWD system.

SBT

I'll check the circumerence this weekend, but my guess is that I'm screwed. Dammit, that is one expensive pothole that I hit. Of course, I guess I didn't make it any better when I bought a used one from the forums...

You will always have oil draining out when you remove the filter. Someone suggested using a large Solo (plastic, disposable) cup and take the filter off with it. I tried it this last time and it worked great.

This is the single most awesome idea ever. I do it too when I change my oil. The usefulness of the solo cup amazes me. Is there anything it can't do?

Just another tip that work well to calm the "Elephant Piss", somebody mentioned on another post to leave the oil cap on when draining the oil. It helps ALOT!

Everytime I change my oil in the Legacy I miss my 2000 RS. No car built is easier, with the car flat on the ground reach under the bumper, and punch a hold in the filter, pop the plug, let them both drain into the pan. I could change that thing in 10 min....

If you are in a metro area of any size, look in the Yellow Pages under "Tires". There should be a place that deals in used tires. I did this when I lost a Gatorback on my Mustang after a year of use.

I'm in Little Ferry, NJ for the weekend (Southern Bergen County, 15 min from the Lincoln Tunnel) so this is about as good as it gets with regard to a metro area :lol:

I"ll take a look around, but the tought of just saying the hell with it, and getting 4 Avon Tech M550's mounted and balanced for about $550 sounds like a good deal to me (especially with winter coming).

I don't find it all that difficult. I just change the oil with the car on the ground since both the plug and the oil filter are within easy reach.

I also keep the oil cap on top closed till for a few minutes which seems to help.

Always do mine on a lift so I can check out the rest of the car while waiting for the last "drips" to finish before buttoning up the oil drain system and refilling with fresh oil.

Give me a good chance to check out the lube on the bushes, tire wear, incidental "stuff" dripping/hanging, and an opportunity to think through my next under-car mod process.

I will repeat it again - don't mix used and more used or new and used tires together on your AWD Subes. This loads the center diff (and the clutches- both 5MT - (clutch disk/pp) and 5EAT - (electronic clutch)) and causes premature wear on these systems as well as negative handling aspects. I read about members putting two new tires on the front or rear and not changing out all four. Recipe for near-term bad handling, drivetrain noise and long-term drivetrain premature failure. This is my long-term experience with Subarus speaking so please don't discount this as paranoia or some old wive's tale.

SBT

I will repeat it again - don't mix used and more used or new and used tires together on your AWD Subes. This loads the center diff (and the clutches- both 5MT - (clutch disk/pp) and 5EAT - (electronic clutch)) and causes premature wear on these systems as well as negative handling aspects. I read about members putting two new tires on the front or rear and not changing out all four. Recipe for near-term bad handling, drivetrain noise and long-term drivetrain premature failure. This is my long-term experience with Subarus speaking so please don't discount this as paranoia or some old wive's tale.

SBT

+1

neil

I just checked my tires today. The difference in circumference between the tire that I put on recently and the others is about 3/4" (give or take 1/16"). I guess its new Avon Tech's for me. Yay.

This is a kick in the nuts when saving up a couple grand for "the ring"...

Sorry Bro - I suspected as much, given your symptoms. The new set will fixor this immediately.

If you're near a Discount Tires (or one of their sibling stores), they do run 3-mo, 6-mo and 12-mo, (depending on total amount) 0% interest (same as cash) financing for tire purchase, mounting and lifetime balancing and rotating. Doesn't spill so much cash at once and allows you to continue to save the important stuff. Check it out.

SBT

• 3 weeks later...
So I have changed my oil many times in previous vehicles but am having the hardest time getting my oil filter off for my 2005 LEgact gt the first time. I just bought this and it has 4000 miles USED! I got a great deal. I am using my tool that I used to use on my chevy oil filter and it is hard to get it in the tight filter area. Help would be great.

So I have changed my oil many times in previous vehicles but am having the hardest time getting my oil filter off for my 2005 LEgact gt the first time. I just bought this and it has 4000 miles USED! I got a great deal. I am using my tool that I used to use on my chevy oil filter and it is hard to get it in the tight filter area. Help would be great.

Filter area isn't tight?

- The Mortgage Man

Archived