LegacyGT.com

Need Help with an Oil Change!!

Ok guys, I don't know what posessed me to change my oil for the first time tonight but I'm having a bit of trouble: I can't get the drain plug out. I've been killing myself trying to get this thing out. Before I call it quits, I want to make sure that this is the corect bolt.

Picture012.jpg.015da8d2cecebe2068a94189e581d669.jpg

Picture013.jpg.482a00984640f308a9d793422e6b70a8.jpg

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like the correct bolt to me. Sounds like you might want to take it to a dealer, if they mess up the drain plug due to it being too tight, it's their dime fixing it. Remember: righty tighty, lefty loosy! Just in case you happen to be tightening the drain plug instead of loosening it, it's happened to me before...

Never had a prolem getting the bolt off.... try giving it a swift kick with your leg that always works when i cant break a bolt.

My first oil change on my LGT I had to do that. Note to assembly line folks: Just because our engines have 250 lb ft. of torque doesn't mean that much on the oil drain bolt...

If it is the first oil change, it is very hard to loosen. The pan is painted after the plug is installed. The paint kinda glues the plug, crush washer and pan together. I think I had to use a longer ratchet or give the ratchet a good swift hit with my fist to break it loose.
It is still ugly.

Okay, Operation Jackie Chan is complete, and the oil came out in a torrent...I mean damn! The result is listed below...

Another problem...I don't see a crush washer! I've been sraping around and I see nothing. Bad news?

Picture014.jpg.46c8bae118521b3d2898289af99f5d42.jpg

Picture015.jpg.f35a2b7818e826799ef257054a9ebbd2.jpg

Is it stuck on the drain plug and colored black on the edge thus looking like part of the plug? Have you fished around in the used oil for a half-hour? Is it embedded in the garage wall? Why do you want it? For the trophy case? :confused:
It is still ugly.

Nah, I'm just really nervous. I don't want to mess this up, miss it and have it cause problems later.

New thing: I just unscrewed the oil filter and gobs of oil came out...even though I had drained the engine over a half hour before. Wtf is going on?

Might still be attached to the oil pan as well, difficult to tell from the pics. I hope you have a replacement washer...My vote goes to it lurking around in the oil in your drain pan.

The oil draining out after removing the oil filter seems like a common thing, happens to me every time. I don't think any amount of waiting will solve that issue. I assume it's just the way our oil system was designed. There is apparantly an oil cooler in that area, maybe that is what is draining when the oil filter is removed?

You will always have oil draining out when you remove the filter. Someone suggested using a large Solo (plastic, disposable) cup and take the filter off with it. I tried it this last time and it worked great.

IMG_3133.JPG.549a0c30fb90f8280ab6210a76b750c6.JPG

It is still ugly.

Now that's a great idea.

How long did you wait to change your oil after running the car? I waited like an hour and it seems like oil is still draining from the engine. I know this is n't life threatening under normal circumstances, but I'm using synthetic vs. the dealer using dino. Is there a problem if there is some left in there and they mix?

No problem mixing synthetic and dino oil.

Also, be certain the original crush washer isn't still attached to the drain plug. It's painted black too and looks as if it's part of the drain plug.

Congrats on your first oil change. They get easier. I was worried my first time too. I've probably done over a 100 now.

I've still never seen oil gush out of a car like it does on the Legacy. It's like an elephant taking a piss.

- The Mortgage Man

^^^That's reassuring to hear. I was thinking the same thing when oil started spraying all over my hands and the floor of the garage :lol:

One final doofus-question. I have my car up on jack stands (I rotated my tires while I was at it). Can I turn the engine over to check for leaks while it is suspended on the stands? Dumb question I know, but I didn't know what kind of forces are applied when an engine turns over.

Ah, to be a newb...

:lol:

The big oil splatter reminds me of my first LGT oil change. I knew I was in trouble when I saw that Subaru had built in an oil deflector into the plastic underfairing.

BTW, I jacked up the car higher than normal and used a 1/2" drive breaker bar. Overkill? Yeah, but I didn't lose any skin. I installed a Fumoto valve with a spigot. Now, I can just hook up a hose and drain it with no mess. I put it on some low ramps to change the oil.

You know, I noticed that curved piece of plastic while I was going Bruce Lee on the ratchet, trying to break the drain plug free. I was thinking, "Wow, how considerate of Subaru". Little did I know that I was about to take an oil bath.

Subaru: 1 - The Dude: 0

Archived