LegacyGT.com

Acura RDX - last OEM to turbo a vehicle?

i'm sure hyundai and Kia dont.. I cant think of any current production vehicles from toyota or nissan (lexus and infiniti included) that are forced induction

Yep. I was thinking the same thing. Nissan sold a supercharged Frontier recently...also an XTerra I believe. That's about it.

Honda has made turbocharged engines for quite some time. This isn't new territory for them by any stretch of the imagination.

As for the others....worldwide...I'd say most have dabbled in them, whether they be turbo-diesels or gas models. Notsomuch in the USA.

Honda is the single largest producer of internal combustion engines (ICE) in the world. They have their reasons for only using turbocharging on select applications (namely, emissions and their 'green' philosophy). They've been anti-turbo for all the reasons we wish turbocharged cars were better - throttle response, boost lag, etc. The latest breed of variable turbine designs is changing all this...I'd expect we'd see more from them soon (like in the TSX ;) )

i'm sure hyundai and Kia dont.. I cant think of any current production vehicles from toyota or nissan (lexus and infiniti included) that are forced induction

When I was in Korea, i noticed that Hyundai and Kia have lots of small turbocharged engines. My coworker had a Hyundai minivan with a turbocharged 4 and TMIC.

ford doesnt have a turbo car in the states

they have a supercharged cobra/lightening/GT tho....

and dont forget about daewoo ;)

Daewoo is out of business in the U.S.

Ford had a turbo SVO Mustang in the mid 80's, then a Turbo Thunderbird with the same motor, and a turbo Probe.

Honda IS the only major manufacturer who doesn't or hasn't turboed any U.S. offerings until now. Funny that they are starting with an SUV. I would have preferred to see a turbo RSX or Accord.

Daewoo is out of business in the U.S.

Ford had a turbo SVO Mustang in the mid 80's, then a Turbo Thunderbird with the same motor, and a turbo Probe.

Honda IS the only major manufacturer who doesn't or hasn't turboed any U.S. offerings until now. Funny that they are starting with an SUV. I would have preferred to see a turbo RSX or Accord.

doh! the turbo coupe tbird! i shoudlve remembered that...my neighbor has 2 for beaters

Guest JessterCPA
What Pontiac model is/was turboed?

Toyota used to have the Supra turbo and a turbo model Celica all-trac (AWD). Both nice cars from Toyota, both discontinued. Why I wonder....

The Trans Am was turbo'ed both in the early eighties (with the 4.9) and with that GNX powered GTA in the late eighties (with the 3.8 V-6). I think a few turbo 3.1 V-6 Grand Prix's were made back in the day also, IIRC. Oh yeah, my brother in law had a 1988 Turbo Sunbird.

Jesse

Archived