LegacyGT.com

Stohlman Subaru wrecked my car (NOVA)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very good advise, I would do that. :)

I agree. You have some latitude in your negotiations and if you are able to play your cards right should be able to get a satisfactory deal. I'd have them replace with new OEM parts and get the dealer to throw in some dealer options especially after your loaner broke down. Most business people respect those who have their facts straight. Talk to a lawyer and learn your ins and out so that when you're face to face with the GM you can deal from a knowledgable postion of strength. Don't tell the dealer you talked to a lawyer or had help from an expert fellow Subie owners (not me :icon_bigg ) . Just know where you're coming from when negotiating. Threaten with lawyers only if things don't work out. Everybody loses once the lawyers get involved - the dealer certainly knows this - so leave legal action as your trump card and hammer out a deal. The dealer should respect you for that and might even be more generous as a result.

You had a $hittie thing happen to you. Best of luck getting it straightened (pun intended) out.

Its called gross negligence! The kid had previous problems both with driving and accidents. You can claim extra(I.E. Punitive) damages from that and probably get a new car to boot.

Good luck (BTW the lawyer fees are paid by the loser):(

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

FYI, the dealerships insurance is Travelers/St. Paul.

After speaking with the insurance rep, I was told that the front passenger door will only be repaired as this is "industry standard" and that if I want it replaced, then I need to pay for the increase. So I decided to take it to Tysons Corner Collision Center (the HBL auto body shop; repairs Aston Martin, Mercedes, Maybach, etc.); so I'll keep my fingers crossed and hopefully they will exceed my expectations (which are pretty darn high) with their craftsmanship.

Regarding a claim for diminished value; in VA the statute states that diminished value can only be claimed at the time the car is sold. Therefore, I would need to make a separate claim with Travelers/St. Paul at the time I sell my car. The rep also said a number of factors come into play on this as well, including the quality of work performed, parts used, amount of damage, current average selling price, etc., etc.

Again, I'll keep you posted as to how we proceed.

Thanks for all your input.

See what fun a porter can cause? This was at the Porsche dealership in Hong Kong and is what's left of a Carrera 4S. Assumed to be a little confusion about which pedal to push when he pulled up to the closed elevator doors... full article at http://www.autoblog.com/2006/07/10/oops-porsche-mechanic-drives-911-down-elevator-shaft/

http://www.autoblog.com/media/2006/07/porscheplunge.jpg

I would accept no less than exactly what you want out of this and whatever it takes to make this right by your standards. I had an 05 Legacy GT Ltd, that I bought in Austin TX becuase the only Subaru dealership in San Antonio, where I lived at the time wouldn't come down on price. Normally I would drive the extra hour back up to Austin to have the car serviced, but since I was short on time I took it in to the dealership near me in San Antonio. Long story short, too late, they performed the oil change, but managed to not put in enough oil... in fact they put in just enough to keep the oil light from coming on until I was about two miles down the road. By the time I made it back to the dealership the turbo had fried and the motor was limping along on two cylinders. The first were going to get a replacement motor completely assembled from Japan, but after finding out they couldn't order the complete motor offered to build me one! No thanks I said, I will take a new car... After about a month of going back and forth with them and contacting SOA they agreed to replace the car. The point of this is don't give in and don't let them push you around. You set the standards for when you are satisfied with thier efforts to correct their mistakes and it is up to them to make you happy according to those standards. Hold off on the lawyer, that will just cost you money and make things messy, but do contact SOA asap and get them involved. Best of luck... I hope all turns out well!

I would accept no less than exactly what you want out of this and whatever it takes to make this right by your standards. I had an 05 Legacy GT Ltd, that I bought in Austin TX becuase the only Subaru dealership in San Antonio, where I lived at the time wouldn't come down on price. Normally I would drive the extra hour back up to Austin to have the car serviced, but since I was short on time I took it in to the dealership near me in San Antonio. Long story short, too late, they performed the oil change, but managed to not put in enough oil... in fact they put in just enough to keep the oil light from coming on until I was about two miles down the road. By the time I made it back to the dealership the turbo had fried and the motor was limping along on two cylinders. The first were going to get a replacement motor completely assembled from Japan, but after finding out they couldn't order the complete motor offered to build me one! No thanks I said, I will take a new car... After about a month of going back and forth with them and contacting SOA they agreed to replace the car. The point of this is don't give in and don't let them push you around. You set the standards for when you are satisfied with thier efforts to correct their mistakes and it is up to them to make you happy according to those standards. Hold off on the lawyer, that will just cost you money and make things messy, but do contact SOA asap and get them involved. Best of luck... I hope all turns out well!

Listen to this guy!

excellent advice

Crap - I just bought my 06 from these noodlers and was going to get my "red" oil swapped by them. YIKES.

My own personal advice is that you throw out the lawyer "option" (see: not a threat, there are ways to sell it), you will get a response from the insurance companies because they know 1) the lawyers will get a lot more than if they settled with you direct, and 2) they will have to get their litigator involved and spend even more $$. I had my DSM totalled by some woman on a cell phone, and when I threw out the "L" word, they increased their offer another $3,000. Like everyone else said, you shouldn't throw it right out there, but at the same time, as the saying goes... the squeeky wheel gets the grease. RAISE AS MUCH HELL AS POSSIBLE!!!!

Sorry to see such a thing happen to a fellow Jayhawk. Don't take any crap from them, and use the great advice everyone has provided on here! Like my dad says, you can't have anything these days because there is always someone around who will screw it up for you. So sad, but true. Good luck!

That really sucks!

I have always enjoyed their sales department. The most painless of all local dealers. But I agree, service is not so good. They can't fix my rattles, and they won't give me the name of the district manager. SOA won't give me the name, they keep opening cases and referring me back to dealer.

The sad part is, I know exactly how to reproduce the rattle, but they can't seem to fix it.

Patagonia GT - do you recommend any other local (NOVA) Subaru places for warranty work? If so, can you give me details (person to talk to, etc).

Thanks!

Stohlman should have that porter drive the Phaeton and wreck it. They have had that same Phaeton outside for over a year! :icon_mrgr

Perhaps it would help your case if you mentioned to the dealer that you posted the story on this forum, and that over 1,100 Subaru enthusiasts have viewed it so far. They might be inclined to make things right once they realize this is very bad advertising aimed at their target demographic.

Perhaps it would help your case if you mentioned to the dealer that you posted the story on this forum, and that over 1,100 Subaru enthusiasts have viewed it so far. They might be inclined to make things right once they realize this is very bad advertising aimed at their target demographic.

Honestly I'd doubt the average car dealer owner is going to give a crap about a forum.

Instead what would be interesting is if someone from XYZ Subaru Enthusiast website called asking about the poor customer service from this dealership, as they are doing a piece on lacking Subaru support lately. Might give them a kick in the rear, esp if XYZ Subaru Enthusiast website has good readership numbers to back it up.

get ahold of the local media, newspaper/tv station, for a human interrest story. :icon_bigg also the Better Business Bureau to see if there are more complaints.

bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Why would you take your car to a dealership for an inspection sticker?

I don't know how it is in VA, but up here most gas stations can do it in ten minutes, and the car is never out of your sight.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I would be outraged!

--Lee

They can't fix my rattles, and they won't give me the name of the district manager. SOA won't give me the name, they keep opening cases and referring me back to dealer.

The sad part is, I know exactly how to reproduce the rattle, but they can't seem to fix it.

lemme guess - the dash rattle by the LF a-pillar?

I've got the name, business card, and cellphone number of the 'former' DM, who works closely with the current one. I've promised not to post his info, but if you push hard enough with someone at the service desk, you'll get to him. :icon_mrgr

Patagonian GT - do you recommend any other local (NOVA) Subaru places for warranty work? If so, can you give me details (person to talk to, etc).

Sadly, the only one I've heard nothing bad about is Don Beyer in Alexandria (like how I didn't grap on the others around? :icon_mrgr ), but they are short-staffed and hard to get into lately. I tried to take mine there after another local dealer couldn't fix my clutch issues, but they didn't want to touch it. :(

Archived