LegacyGT.com

60's and 70's Musclecars - discussion and photos

I have noticed that alot of LGT owners are genuine car guys who own classic muscle.... There are a number of classic cars that I have seen refered to on this board by people. Thought it'd be nice to have a thread to post up photos and info about them, specifically.

So... post up what you have with some specs and photos!

I'll start..............

I have a 1969 Camaro RS/SS-350. It is an original RS/SS car with a Protect-o-plate. It is an original Rallye Green car... now painted yellow. The interior is original, but not to the car. Mine had deluxe interior originally. The car is well loaded with the following options... Tilt wheel, Console with gauges, Tachometer, Air Conditioning, AM/FM radio, Rally sport package, Super Sport package, tinted glass, vinyl roof, and TH350 automatic transmission.

The original motor was missing when I got it. In its place is a 1979 4-bolt main block bored 0.030 over (355 ci) with 10.5:1 compression. I run a Comp Cams 268HE camshaft with Dart Iron heads with oversize valves (2.02 / 1.90). It is topped with a Holley 650 double pumper on top of an Edelbrock RPM aluminum intake. The power goes though a warmed over TH350 tranny (with a shift kit) to a 3.31 positraction 12-bolt rear end.

Here are some photos.....

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~mccorry/images/tbb4engine.jpg

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~mccorry/images/MarieatIndy.jpg

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~mccorry/images/airstripburn.jpg

More pictures can be seen here..... Steve's Page

I also have a 1966 Oldsmobile Cutlass F-85 Holiday coupe. It is black with red interior. My wife's great aunt purchased the car new in 1965 and I still have the letter from Oldsmobile thanking her for her purchase! I also have the Protect-o-Plate for the car. It is all original and in need of a restoration.

I don't have any digital photos of it... so I'll have to take some to post up.... ;)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JessterCPA

Beautiful cars there.

I am personally in the market for a very un-original 1st Gen Firebird. Looking to do the resto-mod route & put a newer LS-1ish engine in it. I prefer the Firebird over the Camaro, but love them all. Actually a big Pontiac guy as a whole. I remember my father giving me rides in a customer's 1960 Ventura that had the 389 3x2. Lots of fun.

Jesse

She's a beauty, mccorry - and Effin, yours, too.

Subscribed.

Although I'm not much "in to" musclecars, I can still very much appreciate them. This is one to keep my eyes on. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Guest *Jedimaster*

Love the old Camaros. Once you get into the 70's/80's/90's etc though, you have to get a Trans Am- the Chevy version of the F body just looks, well, weak compared to the Pontiac version. I have an 85 that I've had forever and we used to hang out at a burger joint at night- all the Z28 guys would congregate and all the T/A guys would too- we used to cruise by them and laugh- "Hey look- it's the wish I'd gotten the better looking one crew" :lol:

Personally, I still want a Grand National.

Love the old Camaros. Once you get into the 70's/80's/90's etc though, you have to get a Trans Am- the Chevy version of the F body just looks, well, weak compared to the Pontiac version. I have an 85 that I've had forever and we used to hang out at a burger joint at night- all the Z28 guys would congregate and all the T/A guys would too- we used to cruise by them and laugh- "Hey look- it's the wish I'd gotten the better looking one crew" :lol:

Personally, I still want a Grand National.

GRAND NATS ROCK...but Id wait for the GNA (I think that was it?) The specially tuned vrsion of the Grand Nat

Guest JessterCPA
GNX would be nice, but really big bucks for a good one.

Even well kept regular GN's are getting real nice cash these days.

My personal fav from those days is the 83-84 Mustang GT. That flat black hood stripe, and the car just had a nice tight look. 86 SVO was cool also, except for that goofy rear wing. But hey, it was 1986, we all had no sense of style.

Jesse

Guest *Jedimaster*
Even well kept regular GN's are getting real nice cash these days.

My personal fav from those days is the 83-84 Mustang GT. That flat black hood stripe, and the car just had a nice tight look. 86 SVO was cool also, except for that goofy rear wing. But hey, it was 1986, we all had no sense of style.

Jesse

True, but the GNX's were very rare- only 547 made- I also like the Regal Turbo T coupe- more of a sleeper.

For the first year I had my license I got to use my brother's car - a medium blue 1965 Pontiac GTO. He was in the USMC at the time - 1969.

It had the standard engine (not Tri-Power) and a 4 speed. The engine, while difficult to start in cold weather, ran well otherwise and was very tractable -if you dropped the clutch at idle, it would chirp the tires rather than stall. When you revved the engine at idle, the car would rock side-to-side. It sounded great. It got 10-12 mpg on Premium, which cost 36-39 cents a gallon.

It had bias ply tires and drum brakes (I think disks might have been available as an option - he bought it used). Obviously cornering limits weren't high (probably why I'm still around). You had to ride the brakes to dry them out after going through a puddle.

He sold it after it got ripped offf twice, and bought a 1970 Torino GT convertible. It had a 351 with functional hood scoop (called a "shaker" as I recall) and a 4 speed. It also had much better brakes, much bigger tires, and could sustain a lot higher speeds. I made it from Andover, MA to Princeton, NJ in 4 hours 13 minutes - a distance of nearly 300 miles. 14-17 mpg or so.

The cool thing about the Torino is that a friend of his bought it in 1980 or so, and restored it. So he still sees it around.

The GTO was quick but there were other much faster drag cars around. Several guys we knew had Chevy SS 396's, built out. And there were two Corvettes, one a 427/435hp. I'm not into drag racing so I never street raced, although I did egg a few erstwhile opponents on.

I thought my friends' Bugeye Sprite was the cool car. Owning a Spitfire for a few years cured me of any further interest in British sports cars.....

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I thought my friends' Bugeye Sprite was the cool car. Owning a Spitfire for a few years cured me of any further interest in British sports cars.....

Q: Why do the British like warm beer?

A: Because their refrigerators are made by Lucas Electronics.

After owning two TR7's I feel your pain. Oddly enough though, after just selling my Miata, I'm back in the market for a project car. Looking at something in the same vein as the LBC.

For shits and giggles I went looking for '69 mustang mach 1 project cars.....

I'm not paying 5k for a car that has no motor/no tranny/ and is a rust bucket besides. It makes me sad though, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to afford my dream car. I gues I'd better win the lottery. :D

--james

Ok, I admit, I'm a MOPAR nut. The Subie is the first non-Mopar car I've owned in a good while.... Here's my two vintage cars:

1965 Plymouth Barracuda. I bought this car in 2001 and have been dumping time and money into it ever since (but I don't mind!). It was my first engine build (and when I say "my" build, don't think I did it all by myself - quite the contrary... I would have had no idea how to do this on my own... I basically did about 40% of the work on the assembly under the supervision of a couple of real mechanics.... It sports a 340 cu in v-8 engine bored 0.040 over, 10:1 Keith Black hypereutectic pistons, lightweight rods, forged crank turned 0.010 under, fully ported T/A style heads, a Comp XE274 cam, Spitfire headers, an Edelbrock Torker II intake and an Edelbrock 600cfm carb. It also has a 904 Torque-flight transmission and an 8.75" differential. It currently runs mid-13s in the quarter mile at about 103mph... as you can tell from the mph number, this car could run in the 12s if I got the traction and gearing issues sorted out. But, I didn't build it for racing, but as a fun driver, so I'm in no rush to change much.

http://www.schlap.com/images/BarracudaSmall.jpg

My California Cruiser: 1967 Plymouth Satellite Convertible. Saving the best for last - this is the favorite car that I have ever owned. It's not the fastest, nor the most practical... but every time I get in it, put the top down and sunglasses on and go, I just feel good. Every time. It's like Prozac on wheels. I bought this car in May of 1997 after being inspired by my buddy's 1964 Ford Galaxie convertible. I thought, "yeah, California, convertible, classic... NO RUST!", took the plunge and have never looked back. It's fairly benign as far as 60's Mopars go: 318 cu in engine, highway gears... but that's not the point... This is the point:

http://www.schlap.com/images/SatelliteSmall.jpg

True, but the GNX's were very rare- only 547 made- I also like the Regal Turbo T coupe- more of a sleeper.

While it's cool to have it because of the rarity, I'd be parnoid if I owned one worrying if it was stolen or I'm putting too much mileage on it, etc etc etc...

T-tops are cool, but when you mod it and making too much power the body will tiwst causing cracking in the paint all the way to the t-tops won't fit in anymore.

I was in the middle of restoring 2 cars when I bought this darn Subaru. I's so easy and cheap to modd Subarus I have not messed with my other cars.

The pictures here are of my 1964 Grand Prix motor I just built it was a 389 4BBl (303hp) and a roto-hydramatic tranny(4spd auto with lock-up '64 was the last year this tranny was made). When I pulled the motor with 120K (because of a oil leak no smoke) I found out the block was cracked in the lifter valley. So I got a 400 block bored it 60 over put my 389 crank and rods in the new block. Had everything balanced and added FT piston w/ big valve reliefs and brought the compression down from stock 11.25:1 to about 10:1. I got hardend seat to run unleaded. Went down to Isky cams and got a custom cam made, All ARP bolts(rods, crank, etc...) Roller rockers, MSD, mallory elet. dist. mech. adv., Balster 2 coil , and a factory tri-power(3X2 carbs) with some upgrades. I added GTO steering box 3 tuns to lock instead of the stock 4 to lock. HD springs , KYB shocks, Custom made f(1 1/8") and R(1") sway bars, all new bushings and tie rods. All I got left to do is hook some hose and a few wires, send it to the paint shop and get the interior done.

I also have a '56 Ford F100 that I built a '68 327 for. the 327 has been rebuilt with iron sportsmanII heads SSvalves, roller roker arm, gear drive, Mallory magnetic pick-ups, Torquer 2 intake, 750cfm carter vac. sec., balanced, ARP bolts , the cam is a 292 duration with a .456 lift, Hi stall TC and a worked 350HT, and a 12 bolt posi from a '68 GTO.

091434(1).thumb.JPG.e8d715663aa29e7447035e1f3d3c5b74.JPG

091452(1).thumb.JPG.ac645d0f72f7e7e97696bb46877b07d3.JPG

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

:munch:

I have always wanted a 1970 390 Go Pack AMX, or maybe a later 401, but they are kind of expensive any more (though not as bad as other manufacturers.) I just got a garage at the beginning of the year too. I keep getting tempted by 327 Marlins...I may need an intervention.

neil

I wanted to make sure I did'nt lose this thead because I found it when I was in the middle of eating my lunch. check my post above I finished my lunch:icon_bigg . I'm 34yr I got the hot rod bug when I 15. I have had alot of cars.

1. my '56 F-100(my first car)

2. '71 VW bug ( I put a ford 2.8 V-6 and hooked it to the VW tranny and had it hanging out the back where the stock VW engine would go. I added a cam and 500cfm holley 2bbl. It would pull the front wheels of the ground. I built that at 18:lol: )

3. 1969 Mustang notchback with a big block 390 and C6 tranny with a slap stick.

4. 1969 Mustang fastback with a 4spd I added a 2bbl 351 Clevland with headers, 750 carter vac. preformer intake, mallory dual point dist. It would lay a 10' strip of rubber in second gear. The rear had 3.00 gear would burn first and second most of the track and run hi 13's. I have built fords, pontiacs and chevys. The clevland is the most powerful motor I have ever seen for it's size. I have a set of 4bbl 351 boss clevland heads in the garage. I just got to find a car to put them in.:icon_bigg

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I just wanted to post some pictures of 351 cleveland heads. stock 2bbl heads came with 2.09" in and 1.65" ex. and open chambers. 4bbl came stock with 2.19" and 1.71ex. and can go upto 2.25" on the intake. This is the same heads on 302 boss( the 302 boss first came with 2.23" in then later down to 2.19" to help bottom end power). The oval intake and the more square exhaust are stock no porting. Porting and polishing will only hurt theese heads because the posts are so big. The port and valves are bigger than most big blocks back then. The 351c block is the same size as a 351w. but have thin wall cylinders and only can be bored 30 over. I didn't mean to take over the thread but, you can see I love to talk cars.

171428(1).thumb.JPG.7db036b69e124d5cec806d5f15c2d5ab.JPG

171501(1).thumb.JPG.eb7edad15cfa7da00a46a1fb7e9425e7.JPG

171547(1).thumb.JPG.ecd52aadc5e95192c9647dc6f351762b.JPG

171650(1).thumb.JPG.29dc46ca306a8d867369b881a0bc865a.JPG

172024(1).thumb.JPG.92552d0a276f44b9cb85d175b9938d67.JPG

Archived