LegacyGT.com

difference between legacy GT and GT limited

hello, i'm new to forum and well i dont plan on buying a car til my birthday (april 9) but never to early to start searching (currently '01 kia sephia) i was orignally looking at the vw passat glx 4motion nice car AWD. but i heard so many problems about them. as of now my #1 choice is audi a6 2.7T. but i was browsing some forums and saw the legacy (almost 4got bout subaru). mainly cuz the dealers wont let you test drive it unless u 21 or older :evil: . no wonder there isnt much in the streets :x blah. so i cant even get in it to see how it drives. test drove the passat 4motion n was very smooth, but felt a little underpowered. 170-190HP... but after looking and doing more looking into the subarus i'm started to get hooked on the subaru legacys mainly GTL. but i really dont see difference between the gt n the limited. can anyone tell me? is it worth the 3k extra pricetag? thanx

[quote name='soccrstar']hello, i'm new to forum and well i dont plan on buying a car til my birthday (april 9) but never to early to start searching (currently '01 kia sephia) i was orignally looking at the vw passat glx 4motion nice car AWD. but i heard so many problems about them. as of now my #1 choice is audi a6 2.7T. but i was browsing some forums and saw the legacy (almost 4got bout subaru). mainly cuz the dealers wont let you test drive it unless u 21 or older :evil: . no wonder there isnt much in the streets :x blah. so i cant even get in it to see how it drives. test drove the passat 4motion n was very smooth, but felt a little underpowered. 170-190HP... but after looking and doing more looking into the subarus i'm started to get hooked on the subaru legacys mainly GTL. but i really dont see difference between the gt n the limited. can anyone tell me? is it worth the 3k extra pricetag? thanx[/quote] off the top of my head, you get the moonroof, leather seats, 8-way/driver, 4-way/passenger power seats, heat vents for rear passengers, in cabin air filter. the LTD guys will have a better answer for you, as the above is purely from what i observed both online and in person when i was looking at them. i settled on the GT. :D

Pretty much the leather and sunroof are the biggest differences. Also.. I've let plenty of younger guys test drive. Just bring a parent with you if you're younger and they'll take you a little more seriously. ;) Or take the time to sit down and talk price, etc and then ask for a test drive.

[quote name='tallguylehigh']This is such a nice forum. Most other forums I am on will only point you in the direction of the search button. Great answers and welcome to the forum, if youre new. Cant tell with poist count gone :oops:[/quote] thats true. some other forums will either treat you like shite right off the bat because you're a newbie, or they'll act like elitists because they've been on their forum for a long time.

Col. Angus has it pretty much. Though the Limited doesn't get any vents for the rear passengers nor does it get an air filter. The air filter is an option. I don't recall did we ever figure out if the standard GT gets the dual zone climate control? Cheers! -Ian

[quote name='goneskiian']Col. Angus has it pretty much. Though the Limited doesn't get any vents for the rear passengers nor does it get an air filter. The air filter is an option. I don't recall did we ever figure out if the standard GT gets the dual zone climate control? Cheers! -Ian[/quote] All GT's get dual zone climate control....

[quote name='Deer Killer'][quote name='goneskiian']Col. Angus has it pretty much. Though the Limited doesn't get any vents for the rear passengers nor does it get an air filter. The air filter is an option. [/quote] What? I have both..[/quote] was the air filter standard, or did it come with a package with your LTD :?:

No, the cabin air filter is not part of the Ltd package. It's basically leather, moonroof and 8-way power driver's seat. Is it worth the extra $3K? Would you be able to get the equivalent aftermarket? Leather -- maybe, 8-way power seat -- no, big a** moonroof w/built in deflector -- nope. Can you get all of them covered under Subaru's warranty -- nope. If you want all these things, then yes, it's worth it! Ken

[quote name='Colonel Angus'][quote name='Deer Killer'][quote name='goneskiian']Col. Angus has it pretty much. Though the Limited doesn't get any vents for the rear passengers nor does it get an air filter. The air filter is an option. [/quote] What? I have both..[/quote] was the air filter standard, or did it come with a package with your LTD :?:[/quote] I don't believe it's standard in any car. I put it in later. The blower is the same in all the cars, the filter is exactly the same, regardless of whether it's installed or not.

For the people that are considering aftermarket leather. DON'T GET IT. You get what you pay for. My last car I put aftermarket leather from the dealer and it was a terrible quality. Thinks squeak, rip and discolor. I have had experience with both katskin/leatherseats.com and classic soft trim. Just don't do it.

I ended up with a GT instead of the GT Limited because it already had most of the options that I wanted that I thought I'd have to buy the Limited version to get. I was under the impression that the Dual Zone climate control was only available in the Limited model but there it is on my GT. (With the added charge on the window sticker!) Having leather seats and power seats on my other car, I decided that I could easily live without either and save a few pounds. Power seats in a car that is usually driven by a single person seems like a waste. I never adjust the seats after finding that "sweet spot". I even etched marks on the rails of the electric seats so that I could get back to where I wanted them after being moved. Manual seats are less hassle this way because you can count the notches as you move it. Leather is nice, but I'm equally happy with cloth. My car also came with the Subwoofer, Alarm shock sensor, and Compass/Mirror installed. It was really everything that I wanted with the exception of the sunroof which I find I don't miss too much. After looking at the cars on the lot as opposed to from a brochure, I'd have to agree that the main differences are the sunroof and the leather power seats. Not worth $3000 to me. I can use $3000 for other stufff in this car!

yah, i was seriously considering the Ltd. mainly for those warm summer nights when you wanna throw the top back and hang out with your girlie. then i remembered, not only am i single, but for $3k, i could buy MANY girls who don't give a rat's @ss what i drive. seriously though, the $3k isn't worth it in my honest opinion

I replaced a 2000 Passat 4Motion Wagon (V6) with an '05 Legacy GT Ltd Wagon. The Passat is underpowered. I get slightly better mileage in my Legacy and 60 extra horsepower, too. My wife picked the Ltd because the seats were more comfortable for her (and me too). The "shoulder wings" on the Ltd front seats added to the overall comfort. The GT doesn't have them. The Passat was generally reliable, 82K miles and never on a tow truck. However the catalytic converters failed at 72K miles, fortunately under the emissions warranty. The parts were $3,300! That's 10 percent of the purchase price of the car. Also VW's (and Audi's) require specialized tools to repair things like timing belts. The tool to change the timing belt on the VW/Audi V6 costs like $500. The cost to change the timing belt on those engines is about $1,100. Cost of repairs is one of the things that put me off of VW's.

[quote name='SchnellerGT']I am so torn between the GT and GT Limited! I REALLY REALLY want the sunroof but none of the other goodies. So the $3K diff. is not worth it to me, but I refuse to buy a car without a sunroof. So I am willing to wait and see if a sunroof becomes optional on 2006 models.[/quote] Remember that the leather interior will be a plus when it comes time to trade in/sell the car. Same with the power seats. I figured I'd spend the extra money now, enjoy the features, and still get some of it back when I sell it. (and I just had to have the big 'bomb bay" sunroof in the wagon) sqrl b8

[quote name='squirrel-bait'][quote name='SchnellerGT']I am so torn between the GT and GT Limited! I REALLY REALLY want the sunroof but none of the other goodies. So the $3K diff. is not worth it to me, but I refuse to buy a car without a sunroof. So I am willing to wait and see if a sunroof becomes optional on 2006 models.[/quote] Remember that the leather interior will be a plus when it comes time to trade in/sell the car. Same with the power seats. I figured I'd spend the extra money now, enjoy the features, and still get some of it back when I sell it. (and I just had to have the big 'bomb bay" sunroof in the wagon) sqrl b8[/quote] exactly.......a used car with cloth seats is not near as desirable as a used car with Leather.....trade in values should be considered. Mark 2005 Silver Legacy GT Lmt. Sedan

[quote name='SchnellerGT']I am so torn between the GT and GT Limited! I REALLY REALLY want the sunroof but none of the other goodies. So the $3K diff. is not worth it to me, but I refuse to buy a car without a sunroof. So I am willing to wait and see if a sunroof becomes optional on 2006 models.[/quote] Looking at the other Subaru models, I doubt that the moonroof will be a separate option. With the Impreza, WRX, Forester, the moonroof is always bundled together with leather as part of a premium package. You can think of it this way, though -- you'd be hard pressed to find an aftermarket moonroof that was as big and had the pop up front deflector for under $3K. Ken

Thats not entirely true...the WRX never had leather, and the moonroof was an option on it, although not in the first year... as far as the cost of a sunroof, you can certainly find one which will suit your needs for under 3k.... the issue then becomes how much is the other stuff worth it. if you are spending close to that amount, then why not just get the limited package.... personally i wanted a sunroof, but didn't want the leather or lmtd....oh well...tough luck i guess...

[quote name='frontrangeSubie'] exactly.......a used car with cloth seats is not near as desirable as a used car with Leather.....trade in values should be considered. [/quote] That's a good point for those that tend to trade in or sell their cars after a few years. I have noticed a pattern of "keeping them until they die" for me. The leather in my GTP is cracking on the side of the seats. It's a known issue, but there's not that much I can do about it now. I wish I had cloth seats in that car right now. But I've found that the leather was easier to clean than cloth would have generally been with the kids.

It wasn't for me--I actually prefer cloth seats so I don't get skalded in the summer and frozen inthe winter (although the heated seats would help with tha latter) and the sunroof robbed too much head space for me. I'd also just as soon have manual seats--hate waiting for the auto ones to slooooowly move. Actually, having now experienced the auto dual climate zone one I'd sort of almost prefer a plain old simple hvac system, but thats another story. Basically you're getting the leather and sunroof. Its all a subjective thing if that's something you really want or not.

Archived