LegacyGT.com

I hate what Subaru is doing with the color choices

godwhomismike

I think im going to play devils advocate for this one.

Personally, I think Subaru has started to go in the right direction with color choices. If you look at Subarus history, especially in the 80's and 90's, they offered some of the worst colors you could imagine...

Early Imprezas came in Purple, bright teal, seafoam blue, and several other "odd" colors, along with a flat white or black if you are lucky. 80's cars were even worse, with browns and coppers and more non-distinct colors.

Now with the 05+ legacy's i'm seeing colors I actually LIKE! Pearl Whites, medium dark reds, metallic black, a decent blue for a change. The only thing missing is a rally blue from the legacy and forester lines.

As for the Outbacks... No comment, people just have odd taste when it comes to outbacks :lol:

The interior color options I think make sense. Subaru has never offered interior color options on a large scale, and I dont think they will offer it until they reach a higher sales volume or move even more upscale. The fact they are persuing smaller cars, more efficient motors, and starting to offer stripped down models again shows me that they are not just going 100% luxo market and loosing the chance to gain new customers.

The spec-B, well, it took SOA 11 years to offer another legacy turbo, and now we finally get the Spec-B, I'm happy as heck about it and the color is nice and neutral... It would be nice if it had 4 colors like the STI, but it wont be selling nearly as much as STI's so it must have been hard to justify other colors at this point. Lets just hope they will sell really well so SOA can offer more options for it.

I like several of the new model exterior colors but am limited by the interior colors...for me it's a dark interior or nothing (black or gray). That light tan crap is way to light for my lifestyle...so I'm limited to the few colors that offer the dark interior.

It may sound crazy, but I wish I could pick the exterior color I wanted and match it with the interior color I wanted.

Yo Kasto,

Nice layout of the history. I did find it to be very informative. Fact is my next LGT purchase will have nav, fold now rear seats, 6sp man., along with other goodies and I do plan to heavily modify it & keep for years to come. So Suby just ain't help me out right now and many others in my shoes. Who wants to wait for somebody to get their act together in denominations of years? I and many others want what we want right now and multiple colors that appeal to the USDM is not too much to ask in my book. Like I said before, those Jap Bastards!

I like several of the new model exterior colors but am limited by the interior colors...for me it's a dark interior or nothing (black or gray). That light tan crap is way to light for my lifestyle...so I'm limited to the few colors that offer the dark interior.

It may sound crazy, but I wish I could pick the exterior color I wanted and match it with the interior color I wanted.

you an I are on the same page yet again, and Blue/Black is the combo I would choose, given the option.

The only other choices I would really love, would be WR Blue, or Blitzen red, and I just don't see those coming...

I think im going to play devils advocate for this one.

Personally, I think Subaru has started to go in the right direction with color choices. If you look at Subarus history, especially in the 80's and 90's, they offered some of the worst colors you could imagine... [/Quote]

The 97-99 cars had dark green and bright red and dark blue. those were nice. 2000-2004 had more muted colors. 05 had Garnet Red, Regal and Atlantic Blue, Satin white, and of course, black and silver. They took a step down by deleting interior color choice in 06, and another downward step in 07 with a fourth grayscale color, while deleting garnet red and regal blue from the GT. One blue is not enough.

Early Imprezas came in Purple, bright teal, seafoam blue, and several other "odd" colors, along with a flat white or black if you are lucky. 80's cars were even worse, with browns and coppers and more non-distinct colors.

Subaru isn't the only one. Everyone had beiges, browns, teals, pastel blues, rum pinks, and all sorts of weird colors. GM, Ford, Chrysler, just about any other car company...

Now with the 05+ legacy's i'm seeing colors I actually LIKE! Pearl Whites, medium dark reds, metallic black, a decent blue for a change. The only thing missing is a rally blue from the legacy and forester lines.

Agree with you there. But again, Red and dark blue are gone from the GT for 07, and WRB is not likely to show up...

As for the Outbacks... No comment, people just have odd taste when it comes to outbacks

That is a "nature" and "earth tones" thing. sand beige, and forest green... it is supposed to look like something from the LLBean or outdoor outfitter catalog. Not my cup of tea either, but I can understand it. I am not looking for that sort of a vehicle, though.

The interior color options I think make sense. Subaru has never offered interior color options on a large scale, and I dont think they will offer it until they reach a higher sales volume or move even more upscale. The fact they are persuing smaller cars, more efficient motors, and starting to offer stripped down models again shows me that they are not just going 100% luxo market and loosing the chance to gain new customers.

That is a valid point about staying down market a bit. I can understand a taupe interior on a luxo model, or an outdoorsy model, like the Tribeca or Outback... but the sporty Legacy GT should have a grey/black interior. It looks better on ALL Legacy colors. Greyscales from white to black, red, and blues all look good with medium grey or dark charcoal black interiors. taupe doesn't look as good, and is a no-go for me.

The spec-B, well, it took SOA 11 years to offer another legacy turbo, and now we finally get the Spec-B, I'm happy as heck about it and the color is nice and neutral... It would be nice if it had 4 colors like the STI, but it wont be selling nearly as much as STI's so it must have been hard to justify other colors at this point. Lets just hope they will sell really well so SOA can offer more options for it.

How many units does FHI project to sell of the STI-tuned Legacy? And it is only 3 colors, one of which is WR Blue, which IIRC, is not available on most JDM Legacys... so it is doable on a small volume, high premium content car.

SOA just opened up the Spec B as a model trim line, so I would hope they would try to sell as many as the market will buy. Albeit their previous Spec B, a limited edition, didn't sell all that quickly. Should say something about no choices for a substantial amount of money packages. Either drop price, or add content choice, or both.

Limiting it to a dark grey (almost as much trouble as black to maintain, and not as dramatic looking...) is not what I would consider something that is trying to cater to the buying public. They aren't working very hard to attract buyers away from Lexus IS, G35, A4, or TSX/TL, or even those looking at the Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ or CTS.

I still hold to the theory that product offering LEADS the sales growth, not trails it.

You don't sell cars by saying "Buy this one now, then we'll have what you really want next year..." I'd laugh in a salesman's face, and then go to one of those other dealerships.

Just two last comments from me in response...

I really wish the GT's sold better here, but one of the big reason Japan and Europe gets all the fancy edition legacy's is that the legacy turbo and regular legacy's just sell waaay better over there than they do here. In the US, its still all about the outback :( Sitting here in the service drive, all I see are outbacks outbacks outbacks and maybe once a week, a legacy turbo... For awhile there, I almost thought subaru would eliminate its regular legacy line and leave just outbacks!

However, the regular legacies are making headway on the competition in reviews and such and are attracting more sales than before, so hopefully the 07 Spec-B will have some nice comparo tests and postive reviews and attract even more customers.

As for interior colors, I understand wanting a specific interior color, but for a specific lifestyle? Opie, I just dont get that one :lol:

My '95 L has a dark grey almost black interior, and a couple weeks ago when it was 110 degrees around here and I didnt have a sunscreen and the car sat all day out in the parking lot with no protection, the car was serious like 140 degrees inside and I was like a wet towel by the time I got home from sweating so much!

However, with the beige interior rental legacys we have, which sit out in the sun all day too, I could hop in those and feel fine. I'm honestly considering looking for something with a beige interior for my next car because of this...

Exactly what I did, and it worked :icon_bigg...

Thats what the Outbacks are for....

A token gold/tan or green entry here and there but not much difference in their entire color line up. Black; red; a few blues; a few grey/silvers; etc.

As for interior colors, I understand wanting a specific interior color, but for a specific lifestyle? Opie, I just dont get that one :lol:

:lol: That did sound a little strange didn't it...what I meant was having children and dogs would kill the light interior...but that wouln't be an issue if I could get the dark interior with whichever exterior color I wanted. :icon_mrgr

:lol: That did sound a little strange didn't it...what I meant was having children and dogs would kill the light interior...but that wouln't be an issue if I could get the dark interior with whichever exterior color I wanted. :icon_mrgr

My cat sheds mostly white hairs, and that shows up really bad on my dark grey interior in my L :( Beige actually would work better for me in that realm. Stains do show up a little more in beige, but im really good at keeping stains from happening.

I hate what Subaru is doing with color choices. Why is it that Subaru doesn't let buyers decide what interior color they want. Example, the black 2006 model year Forester XT came with a tan leather interior, now in the 2007 model year - it only comes with a black interior. The 2006 model year Regal Blue Legacy's could only be had with a tan interior. The lack of color choices annoys the heck out of me.

Does this annoy anyone else here?

For years subaru offered only a bluish gray interior in the legacy. Consider yourself lucky to be able to choose among tan, gray, and somewhat-pseudo-black now, as long as you aren't picky about external color.

SOA blows. Too bad their moronic moves, while saving them a few pennies, are losing them customers in the next few years.

I had an email contact where I explained that I was going to replace my 5mt LGT wagon next summer, and was interested in the same combination. SOA replies, no, that is not going to happen, so I replied that they have lost another customer.

Sigh. I'll enjoy my car while it lasts, but next year will be shopping at bmw again. ugh.

• 2 weeks later...
Add me to the list of frequent complainers about lack of color options, both exterior and ext/int combo! Like several of you, I am buying a new car in the next year, and am dead-set on a LGT - except the lack of any color combination that I find palatable (palette-able?:icon_mrgr) will stop me. As much as I love the LGT, I just can't compromise on the color combo. I'd pull the trigger on a Newport Blue with black interior, but beige?! No way. I'm afraid my money will go to Infiniti instead.
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

• 3 weeks later...
The only options I have to get a LGT with the Beige interior is either Newport Blue or White. The Newport blue is definite granny material and I never was a fan of White. I liked the car, except for the exterior styling in the front but the color choices (or lack thereof) just killed any LGT possibility.

just goes to show that popular != good.

If chartreuse green were popular, that doesn't mean it would look good on the car.

White, gray, and black look good on the car, but that doesn't mean everyone wants it.

And to offer one blue, with a taupe interior mandatory, is pretty slim otherwise, after relegating dark blue to the 2.5i, and canning the only red available.

Popular should not mean exclusive of all else, either...

Thankfully, I have my eye set on an '05 GRP 'looker' currently. If all goes well, she'll be mine soon...

IWSS - good to hear you've found one that you like. I may end up going with an 05 or 06 in the end, but I just cringe to buy a used car, and there aren't many new ones left on dealer lots.
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Archived