Borla Header

Stromung Catless 'track' pipe

Sti high pressure radiator cap

IPD Front sway/Perrin end links

Whiteline Rear sway, HD mounts & end links

Fr/ Rr upper strut tower bars

Rear lower bar

JDM Projector beam headlights

I did/installed all of the above mods myself, except for the pulley, and the flywheel/clutch.

584554842_subiepics007-7.jpg.55758cc7e73f999554b94a1fafff29c9.jpg

well first off, the ebay air intakes work fine and they are only $30. just make sure you get the one for your car. Also, If you just got the pipe, u could run it into the stock airbox, with a K&N pannel filter and do and remove airboxes in the fender. Im just saying, u dont have to go out and spend a alot of money when you can do it others ways for alot less....

cold air is the only way to go! the bolt on pipes with a filter just suck in hot air form the engine bay loosing horse power. jmo\ also getting headers and exhaust first is irrelevent . the sequence doesnt matter just as long as you do exhaust you do the intake also. you suck more air / you need to get rid of more air. just doing the intake first does nothing to comlement the exhaust or vis versa. Its the complete package that counts. plus headers will make a difference but not a $300 difference. I just did a full catback with the cold air and noticed nice throttle response and bettter topend . The intake was 120.00 and the exhaust 255 with muffler. I have a friend that owns a tuner shop and got the muffler real cheap. skunk2 for a $100.

cold air is the only way to go! the bolt on pipes with a filter just suck in hot air form the engine bay loosing horse power.

Which is why I opened up my hood scoop. I know I know, drag, but really its no more than stickin your hand out the sunroof.

I remember when I first picked up my wagon. I threw a "Weapon R" Intake on it. Sounded GREAT, but whenever I "Punched' it I would get a stall/hesitation from the engine. I guess because I took off the Air resevour from the Original Intake setup. Now the engine no longer had that Pocket of Air that it could use for when It needed it right away.

Sorry for the rambling. In short, I ended up taking it off like in a week or so. When I hooked up headers and a Cat back exhaust I definitely notice a difference, plus a GREAT Exhaust note :D

:munch:

• 2 weeks later...

I've yet to hear a solid explanation of why this "gulp" of air would make a difference, or to see any dyno evidence supporting it. Consider the volume of the box, and how fast that's depleted. Consider that the rest of the system is of a smaller, and physically restrictive shape. I can only see that it's a home for a panel filter.

Underhood air isn't so hot when you're under motion, either. A guy on another forum (NASIOC?) found via experimentation that you're looking at maybe 2-3 degrees difference.

I've yet to hear a solid explanation of why this "gulp" of air would make a difference, or to see any dyno evidence supporting it. Consider the volume of the box, and how fast that's depleted. Consider that the rest of the system is of a smaller, and physically restrictive shape. I can only see that it's a home for a panel filter.

Underhood air isn't so hot when you're under motion, either. A guy on another forum (NASIOC?) found via experimentation that you're looking at maybe 2-3 degrees difference.

Well, like it or not, the "torquebox" does seem to help with even-ing out the power delivery in the lower revs. I think if you search the N/A forums on NASOIC, you'll find some extensivediscussions and a couple of dyno charts comparing the stock and aftermarket intakes, and a modified stock intake.

Anyway, us MAP guys got it lucky :D

HPIM0267.thumb.jpg.3f25eebeff4ff0d7c1dbac9de2e181b1.jpg

Well, like it or not, the "torquebox" does seem to help with even-ing out the power delivery in the lower revs. I think if you search the N/A forums on NASOIC, you'll find some extensivediscussions and a couple of dyno charts comparing the stock and aftermarket intakes, and a modified stock intake.

Anyway, us MAP guys got it lucky :D

:whore:

:munch:

Well, like it or not...

There's no question of "like". The fact of the matter is that calling this box a "torque box" is just as loose a label as "boxer rumble", which is entirely untrue besides.

...the "torquebox" does seem to help with even-ing out the power delivery in the lower revs.

I'm really not concerned with what it "seems" to do. I want to know what it does do.

I think if you search the N/A forums on NASOIC, you'll find some extensive discussions and a couple of dyno charts comparing the stock and aftermarket intakes, and a modified stock intake.

I did find this one, which shows that even the lowly eBay intake outperforms the alleged "torque box" on a non-butt dyno.

All I'm asking for is a reasonable explanation in fluid dynamics of how that box does anything more than hold a flat-panel filter?

All I'm asking for is a reasonable explanation in fluid dynamics of how that box does anything more than hold a flat-panel filter?

Well a loose explanation would be with a equi-diameter air intake pipe, the flow is relatively constant through the pipe, where the car was designed to have the flow disperse right before the throttle body in the air box (calling it a torque box is just idiodic). Also the little "arm" tube that sticks off the stock intake piping would create a vacuum as the air flows across and into the air box prior to the throttle body which wold act as a control to how much air would flow into the throttle body depending on how far open the throttle is.

The only problem I can see is how the MAF is calculating the mixture and how an aftermarket tube would screw that mixture up since the airflow is different.

I have a GP-Moto intake on my GT and the problem that I have is I can pretty much flood and stall out the engine if I stop on it from a stand still. Other than that, I have no complaints the 40-60 acceleration is awesome and the car is a bit more fun if you can watch your RPMs

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

That little arm in the intake is for noise. By putting it there it cuts down on the intake sound. and for the box i think its a joke. I put a cold air on my legacy and I have no problems or hesitations the care takes off fine and pull awesome on the top end. JMO

Archived