LegacyGT.com

Ipod to Mp3?

Vimy101

This is a lazy question but has anyone been able to convert Ipod (Itunes) to mp3 format and burned them to a CD. I took a quick look around on Itunes and they said it can be done but I tried and failed. The tunes burned but I got an error message. I could probably figure it out after farting around for a while but I was wondering if any of the members had experience with the proper proceedure. Thanks in advance.

PS I did do some "searching" of the this (LGT) site.

burn them to a cd in mp3 format or to play in an cd player?

mp3 format:

iTunes 4: How to Create Your Own MP3 CDs

audio cd:

Burning an audio CD in iTunes for Windows

(i assume you are a windows user)

Thanks for the reply. I read the page you linked and it appears as if the music has to be originally encoded as an mp3 in order to burn it to a disc. The second link appears to imply that the recorded format will be Itunes which the mp3 player does not support. Please correct me if I'm wrong. It looks like I'll have to re-import the music in the mp3 format and then burn away. :icon_conf

Using iTunes, burn your AAC files onto a CD.

Then, using mp3 playing program (like MusicMatch) burn the CDA files back onto your hard drive as mp3 files.

Cool. That sounds like it might just work. So I burn the Itunes onto a CD then convert them to mp3 using a Windows media player and then burn the new mp3s onto a CD-R?

what format are the files in your itunes library? you keep saying 'iTunes' do you mean iTMS acc protected files?

That must be the format in which the original tunes downloaded into. When I burn a CD in mp3 format I get an error message saying they can't be played.

Cool. That sounds like it might just work. So I burn the Itunes onto a CD then convert them to mp3 using a Windows media player and then burn the new mp3s onto a CD-R?

Yeah.

As I understood your first post, you want to convert copy-protected AAC files bought through iTunes to mp3 files, correct? That will do the trick as long as your Windows media player converts them to mp3, and not wma.

you can rip them (import as mp3's) with iTunes as well

I will do that in future. However, I just don't want to go digging through all my CD and re-export them into Itunes again. Since the music is already there - albeit in a non mp3 format - I was hoping to just use that data. Thanks to the tips from you guys, I might just be able to do that.

Yeah.

As I understood your first post, you want to convert copy-protected AAC files bought through iTunes to mp3 files, correct? That will do the trick as long as your Windows media player converts them to mp3, and not wma.

Right. Err... wrong. These tunes are all from my own CD collection that I downloaded into Itunes in order to transfer them to my Ipod.

ah ok try this...

Go into iTunes Preferences, and change the importing mode back to the MP3 mode you like

Now select the tracks that you want to change to mp3, and go to the Advanced menu. There is an item called "convert selection to MP3".

This will convert them to mp3 (you will loose some quality, but you probably wont be able to tell) and then you can burn them as an mp3 using my previous post.

Right. Err... wrong. These tunes are all from my own CD collection that I downloaded into Itunes in order to transfer them to my Ipod.

Oh. Other than the few that I've purchased on iTunes, all of my songs are in mp3 format on my ipod.

My method will still work for you though.

OK Itunes studs - try this one:

I'm looking for a way to sidestep actually making a physical CD using the above process of going from Itunes purchases to MP3.

So I DL'ed music from Itunes store in protected format. Is there a way, rather a program, that will create a virtual CD drive that Itunes will recognize as a physical drive & "burn" the music CD to the HD instead of having to use an actual CD?

Basically want to stop throwing out CDs after having re-ripped them into MP3 - ideas?

BTW, I've been using CDex for years, great encoder, & fast too.

OK Itunes studs - try this one:

I'm looking for a way to sidestep actually making a physical CD using the above process of going from Itunes purchases to MP3.

So I DL'ed music from Itunes store in protected format. Is there a way, rather a program, that will create a virtual CD drive that Itunes will recognize as a physical drive & "burn" the music CD to the HD instead of having to use an actual CD?

Basically want to stop throwing out CDs after having re-ripped them into MP3 - ideas?

BTW, I've been using CDex for years, great encoder, & fast too.

CD-RW?

Hey, you're good! Have you used Hymn?

no i haven't. i dont buy DMR "protected" music....i understand the reason to do it, its just a pain to deal with. I have used some dmr removers, but its been a few versions and iTunes is doing a good job on preventing the DRM removal...i dont really think there is much to do after iTunes v6 though.

another note, just as an fyi for everyone

* burning to cd and re-ripiing to mp3/aac will reduce quality

* converting from mp3 to aac vice-versa will reduce quality

you might not be able to hear it but they are both a lossy format so you are loosing info when compressing.

If you have an iPod, why not get a Jazzy board and attach the iPod directly to your car? Who wants to screw around with the lousy user interface of your car stereo playing a CD full of MP3s?

iPod + Jazzy FTW!

If you have an iPod, why not get a Jazzy board and attach the iPod directly to your car? Who wants to screw around with the lousy user interface of your car stereo playing a CD full of MP3s?

iPod + Jazzy FTW!

You're not playing the music, you just bought a certain system that reproduces it. Gramophone wax cylinders or DVD. You don't own the sounds. Merely the medium in which the recorded sound is reproduced. It might drive you nuts but it is fair and their right not yours. Unless you strike a deal with the artist saying that you have a right to their created sound product on any format and the distribution company has to keep you supplied with the latest reproduction formats because you paid the artist for that right.

The digital age is weird. Used to be that in order to hear music you either made it yourself or you paid someone else to make it for you.

Archived