LegacyGT.com

Parking Brake makes a popping sound ?

Recently, I have tried putting on the parking brake while the car is moving. Everything works OK, but I get an odd popping noise that sounds like the brake is sticking and then releasing when first applied. It does this very consistently each time I apply the parking brake. It doesn't sound right somehow.

Is this normal? If not, can anybody help me figure out what is wrong? I have never had this kind of noise on any other car I've owned, but then again, this is the first car I've had with rear discs that also has rear drum parking brakes.

Here's an old joke:

A guy goes to his doctor with a health concern. He says "Doc, it really hurts when I do this!", while he raises his right arm over shoulder level. The doctor says, "Well, then, don't do that!".

:icon_bigg

OK, so we know it isn't good for the car, don't do that, etc. But being the kind of guy I am, I would like to know why it is making that sound? Anyone who has a good explanation will receive my sincere gratitude.

It's hard to tell from your description, but it sounds like the "popping" is the ratchet mechanism trying to engage on a moving target. Notice how there is a "scruntch" sound when you engage the ebrake while standing still? That's the ratchet. Trying to engage it on a moving axle is going to make a much louder sound.
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

My car makes a funny noise when I try to shift into reverse while I'm going like 25mph...

Is the grinding normal??? :lol:

DONT DO THAT THEN!!!

There's a difference between reasonable curiosity and idiocy. I am far from an idiot, but I'm not sure about you! :lol:

It seems you misunderstood my question. On other cars it is not unreasonable to use the handbrake while coasting to a stop, on a hill, etc.

I'm thankful at least somebody earlier on the thread tried to reason out what might be happening, instead of just trying to make fun of me for asking a simple question.

There's a difference between reasonable curiosity and idiocy. I am far from an idiot, but I'm not sure about you! :lol:

Like others said.... it's not designed to stop you when you're rolling. Any "funny sounds" would almost be expected... :lol:

"Insert Signature Here"

Like others said.... it's not designed to stop you when you're rolling. Any "funny sounds" would almost be expected... :lol:

You must be a NASIOC refugee. If somebody asks a question in good faith, and you don't know the answer, it's better to just be quiet than to take the cheap shot of making fun of them.

• 1 month later...

Hmmm, per usual there are several butt-heads on this board with comments providing no value, just cheap shots. I guess it's to be expected from those who don't know what the fck they are talking about but have nothing better to do than type a meaningless response and jump on the flame bandwagon.

Anyway, I have heard the same noise when appling the e-brake while moving sligthly, and agree that it is due to the pads shifting slightly under load. No worries!

It's hard to tell from your description, but it sounds like the "popping" is the ratchet mechanism trying to engage on a moving target. Notice how there is a "scruntch" sound when you engage the ebrake while standing still? That's the ratchet. Trying to engage it on a moving axle is going to make a much louder sound.

The ratchet mechanism you hear if you pull up the handbrake without pushing the button (moving or not) is a ratchet mechanism that holds up the handle until you push the button to to release the handbrake. It's inside the car, between the handle and the pivot point of the handbrake lever, it is *NOT* what's holding the car when the handbrake is engaged.

Why do you pull the e-brake while moving? Thats just stupid.

What's interesting is that there is a parking brake break-in procedure mentioned in the manual which involves pulling the brake handle while the car is moving.

Is that break-in proceedure for autos only?

I have been told e-brake whille moving is too much for the center diff.

Peace,

Greg

I dunno, IIRC it didn't specify AT or MT. I don't recall exactly what the manual mentions as far as the procedure, but it's something like get up to about 25 mph, pull the e brake handle gently for about 100 yds, repeat. I just moved an have no idea where my manual is, otherwise I'd look it up.

Archived