LegacyGT.com

Tinted the tail lights-pics

dannyboy7

So, I posted a couple weeks back about tinting the tails, and you guys where right about taking the damn things apart, no fun! So, I already had the spray tint, and went with it anyways. I did three light coats, and it still has a pretty shiny sheen to the lights. All in all, I like it. The hardest part was making sure I had the backup light cut-out just right. Usually you have a groove to guide you, but these lights are completely smooth, so it was a little more challenging. So, what do you think?

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k201/dannyboy7_2006/DSC09910.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k201/dannyboy7_2006/DSC09913.jpg

Hey Hung, its called Night Shades spray tint, you can find it on the net, or check some of you local auto parts stores or tuner shops. I masked the car off, you can probably just take em out though. Mask the car good though, over spray sucks! Then mask off the back up part, that part is kinda tricky, I just used the masking tape to make a straight line, and then used a razor knife to do the rounded part, very lightly and carefully! Then I did a light spray over the lights, then let it dry for about 10 minutes(it was like 75 here) Then sprayed again, let dry, and then one more time. Its pretty easy. Biggest part to remember, make sure they are clean, just use water to wash them previously though, it is sure to dry, and sometimes the chemicals from some cleaners wont let the spray to adhere the the lights, and then it streaks! Bad Bad. Just do light sprays at a time until you are happy with the color! Easy!!!

Well done! Looks great with the charcoal paint!

I love the lack of tint on the reverse light strips.

Edit- Dannyboy, you debadged the rear end for a nice smooth look but left the hideous dealer plate frame?! Tell me work for the dealer at least!

Otherwise, yank that sucker off there!:cool:

So, tell me again why you didn't just get the overlays? You would have saved a ton of work and gotten pretty much the same result. You did an awesome job, and in the absense of tinted overlays I might be asking for more details, but it just seems like a lot of work for something that could have been sorted out in 5 minutes with the overlays. Just curious... Great work at any rate.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I really like the look of the overlays, but, I actually found a can of the spray tint locally.So, in two words, patience and bored! I was bored one day, and figured what the hell, sounds like no one went this route, I'll try it!:lol: It actually only took me a total of about an hour, it really wasnt that bad. I'm not to worried about Johnny law though, I had my WRX, 00 Legacy, and my current F-350 taillights tinted, and never been pulled over, its always for the no front licence plate:icon_bigg Thanks for the compliments though, I am going to try and get a brighter pic soon.

• 3 months later...
I really like the look of the overlays, but, I actually found a can of the spray tint locally.So, in two words, patience and bored! I was bored one day, and figured what the hell, sounds like no one went this route, I'll try it!:lol: It actually only took me a total of about an hour, it really wasnt that bad. I'm not to worried about Johnny law though, I had my WRX, 00 Legacy, and my current F-350 taillights tinted, and never been pulled over, its always for the no front licence plate:icon_bigg Thanks for the compliments though, I am going to try and get a brighter pic soon.

Where is wa did you get pulled for no front plate? I didn't have one on my 83 GLsedan , 85 RX sedan (not coope) turbo, 83 gmc s-15 jimmy, and 90 Legacy L sedan. They all came that way from the previous owners. Was it a state police or a local? oh ya, I grew up on Kirkland, wa. So I know the area and REALLY miss it. Ca sucks in comparison. But I live in a really beautifule area of CA though, oh wait, it is almost just like WA here but with readwoods instead of evergreens, hehe.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Archived