LegacyGT.com

http://cwimg.us.publicus.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=CW&Date=20060801&Category=FREE&ArtNo=60731020&Ref=AR&Profile=1024&maxw=490

Sweet times three Audi finally announces S3 plans http://www.autoweek.com/graphics/aw_spacer.gif

By BOB GRITZINGER

http://www.autoweek.com/graphics/aw_spacer.gif

AutoWeek | Published 08/01/06, 8:28 am et http://www.autoweek.com/graphics/aw_spacer.gif CLICK BELOW FOR MORE: >> DOWNLOAD: Official Audi S3 Press Release http://www.autoweek.com/graphics/aw_spacer.gif

http://www.autoweek.com/graphics/aw_spacer.gif Advertisement

OAS_RICH('Middle1');

The official word from Ingolstadt is that we shouldn’t plan on buying an Audi S3 in the United States anytime soon. It is, after all, a three-door hatchback, and we all know that Americans don’t buy three-door hatchbacks.

But the S3, Audi’s hotted-up version of the A3 five-door we’ve already embraced with open arms, is just too good to leave the U.S. market out of the plans. Audi has shown a tendency to deny us its best hardware initially, but then eventually comes through with the goods. See S4, S6, S8, and most recently, the rocket ship RS4, for evidence. http://cwimg.us.publicus.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=CW&Date=20060801&Category=FREE&ArtNo=60731020&Ref=V2&Profile=1024&maxw=490

If and when the S3 comes to these shores, what can we expect? S3 is equipped with a turbocharged 2.0-liter 265-hp, 258-lb-ft four-cylinder engine, driving all four wheels via quattro and a six-speed manual gearbox. A lowered sport suspension, 18-inch aluminum wheels and bigger brakes, along with “S” exterior and interior trim modifications, complete the package.

S3 goes on sale later this year in Europe, starting at e35,150. That works out to about $45,000, if you’re already counting your pennies.

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Looks nice, although I'd never spend that kind of money for a car with only 2 doors, I'm sure lots of people would.

Another competitor for the Impreza STi ?

Exactly what the article says...Americans would not buy a 3 door hatchback hehehehehe

I would if I had the money for sure... Even the old S3, which has the 1.8L twin turbo 225hp was a greeeeat vehicle...

If Audi had a little better reliability.....

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Even the old S3, which has the 1.8L twin turbo 225hp was a greeeeat vehicle...

Hahaha, twin turbo huh? I think you meant, twin-intercooled. It used ONE K04.

If Audi had a little better reliability.....

Ahh, this is getting tiring to hear... :rolleyes:

Truth is, it would be cool to see the S3 here, but I really doubt it would happen. Americans are not gonna pay 45k for a 4-cylinder. It just won't happen. They'd rather pony up for a 3.2 A3 w/ DSG and Quattro... Because that car is priced at almost 40k with options.. I doubt you will see the S3 for anything less than the european price.

In the case of the RS4, the price here is less expensive than in Europe. (if you convert the euro-to-dollars.. the RS4 is 80K+) There's wiggle room in that car... I don't think there's nearly as much on the S3.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

why not buy an r32? its probably roughly 5large less than the 3.2 A3 and its virtually the same car.

Well, starting with the fact that it doesn't exist in the US yet? Then there's the part where that doesn't really have anything to do with the S3.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

I was reading on vwvortex that the new r32 non turbo 3.2 will be arriving in the us around this time next year. the r32 by euro specs has 15 hp less than the s3 and the same amount of doors. the r32 does 0-60 approx. 6.2 sec so not a speed demon.

also I believe that it was car and driver that did a comparo between the evo sti and r32. they said that the r32 was the dog due to weight but had the superior interior and appointments.

Curious what this thing will weigh. e.g. @3500 + lbs

This thing will be slower than most lgt's here.

Hahaha, you are probably right. The R32 was a porker and Im sure the new one will too.

I just researched Audi's site..

Curb weight (lbs.):

DSG: 3660

The 2.0T FWD weights in at

Curb weight (lbs.):

DSG: 3329

Im sure the S3 would be somewhere in between as the 2.0T is lighter than the VR6.

I was reading on vwvortex that the new r32 non turbo 3.2 will be arriving in the us around this time next year. the r32 by euro specs has 15 hp less than the s3 and the same amount of doors. the r32 does 0-60 approx. 6.2 sec so not a speed demon.

also I believe that it was car and driver that did a comparo between the evo sti and r32. they said that the r32 was the dog due to weight but had the superior interior and appointments.

That was the MKIV R32, which BTW, the new MKV chassis is WAYYYY better than the MKIV. There are people who have traded their MKIV R32 for a MKV 2.0T and the only thing they miss is the Haldex. Also, I'm not sure, but the R32 might be a 4-door this time around. I don't remember what it was gonna end up being. I can tell you there's been at least one MKV 4-door R32 in the US for quite some time now.

Man-o-man... Internet "news" at its best.

Long term A3s have reported very good reliability... Not to mention the cars have been out in Europe for three years now.

I mean... really, if you wanna talk about gremblins.. we can talk about late model Subarus MUCH more than late model Audi/VWs

Shoot, lets start with just the Legacy alone.

There's the stutter, and the fan, and the lights, and the illumination, and the volume that is nuts...

In the STi, there's the pinging, the rear shocks, the random airbag plugs, the STi UP heatshield...

In the WRX, we have the pinging again... Im amazed the STi and the WRX didn't self destruct.

And of course, the main issue... SUBARU DOESN'T SOLVE ANY OF THIS STUFF.

does audi still have the same reliability issues? i would have thunk they would have tried to put a stop to that by now.

Yes, but don't EVER question a salesman about it, he'll freak out. Case in point, a buddy of mine went to Audi to look at the TT's. I came with just for fun, I asked the salesman about reliability issues with the TT's (Timing Belt, Instrument cluster going out all the time). The dude flipped and then asked what I drive. He then went on a rant about how German cars are just as reliable as Japanese cars. Friend went for a test drive, when they came back the salesman opened the trunk to get the dealer plate, shut the trunk and the licsense plate light shot out of the hatch (whole fixture). I about laughed my a$$ off! :lol: The salesman looked at me as if I was dinner. :lol:

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Man-o-man... Internet "news" at its best.

Long term A3s have reported very good reliability... Not to mention the cars have been out in Europe for three years now.

I mean... really, if you wanna talk about gremblins.. we can talk about late model Subarus MUCH more than late model Audi/VWs

Shoot, lets start with just the Legacy alone.

There's the stutter, and the fan, and the lights, and the illumination, and the volume that is nuts...

In the STi, there's the pinging, the rear shocks, the random airbag plugs, the STi UP heatshield...

In the WRX, we have the pinging again... Im amazed the STi and the WRX didn't self destruct.

And of course, the main issue... SUBARU DOESN'T SOLVE ANY OF THIS STUFF.

Ya ever see an engine get torn up because the timing belt failed at 60K (which should last a good 120K at the minimum).

I'll take heatshields and RE92's anyday over that sh!t.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

IMO, I'll give you this... IMO, a German car will, in general, never be as reliable as a japanese car.

Germans like to computerize everything. I mean, you can connect to be OBD2 port on any new A3/A4 or GTi/Jetta and reprogram all sorts of things. For example, you can turn on/off the use of rear foglamps, or daytime running lights.. WHY?! Seems to be a relay is a lot simpler and does the job equally well. You can ever program the alarm system via the OBD2 port.

Ya ever see an engine get torn up because the timing belt failed at 60K (which should last a good 120K at the minimum).

I'll take heatshields and RE92's anyday over that sh!t.

timingBELT good for 120k? That's one nice timing belt. Honda recommends timing belt changes at 60k themselves. I read the review recently on C&D in regards to used Audi TTs... they mentioned the T-belt change and the gauge cluster... the irony in this is that problem with the T-belt doesn't surface so much on the GTi/Jetta + the MFD pixels that die... Jetta/GTi had em too.. no problems on those... weird ish.

All I know is that the Audi service writers ALL knew my name and I had my S4 for just over a year; I've had 4 Subarus and have been to the dealer only 1 time.

S4 was NOTORIOUS though.... I'd know better than to get a used S4.

The problems with VW/Audi... the ones that earned them this shitty reputation, are all due to problems with cars produced around that time (00-04) or so. The MKIV, the B4 chassis, etc... The new chassis seem to have much better reliability thus far.

To me, its VERY annoying to hear about this problem because its so OVERblown... I'll put it to you this way... M-B had NIGHTMARE type electrical problems on their cars during that same period of time.. their execs even admitted that their future cars would be simpler to avoid these issues... yet how many people complain?

Actually the Honda specification for their V6 is 105k

depends on the years and motors.. the older years were 60k, the newer motors are between 90k-105k.

IMO, I'll give you this... IMO, a German car will, in general, never be as reliable as a japanese car.

Germans like to computerize everything. I mean, you can connect to be OBD2 port on any new A3/A4 or GTi/Jetta and reprogram all sorts of things. For example, you can turn on/off the use of rear foglamps, or daytime running lights.. WHY?! Seems to be a relay is a lot simpler and does the job equally well. You can ever program the alarm system via the OBD2 port.

Nah that's BS, our ECU's can do a lot too, but either it is not allowed to be reprogrammed or the dealerships are clueless as how to use their own tools.

It's the constant re-engineering. The Japanese have their engineering development down, they don't redesign what works without good reason and they improve old designs. Look at all the engine choices, etc, the germans provide.

Archived